News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I know I mentioned, maybe several pages back, that I am watching Schitt's Creek. I remember several, also said they watched it. I am somewhere in season 4 now and it just gets better and better as it goes along. AND, to prove it, it basically ran away with the Emmy's last night.

For those that don't know of it, I would highly redcommend it. Don't let the name put you off. It is just a regular comedy, no nudity, no cursing just some very funny people, put in an outrageous situation and making the best of it. As you get to know the 4 main characters, it is literally laugh out loud funny.

If you haven't tried it, do so, and if,a t first, you think it is silly or stupid, stay with it, as it does get better and better.

Sorry this was it's last year.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on September 21, 2020, 05:00:53 PM
Maybe this should go in the movie thread, but I am really not trying to review this movie. The other day I DVRed a movie, Wild At Heart. The synopsis sounded interesting, great actors in it,  and when I saw David Lynch was the director, I thought, why not take a chance. Overall, I am NOT a fan of David Lynch and his sense of anything. I know some people simply loved Twin Peaks and consider it classic TV, but not me. I did a search of Lynch's other works and looking at the list, I can say there were a couple of things I enjoyed, so I'll give this movie a shot. I was wrong. It was so typical David Lynch, I almost couldn't make it thru to the end. If it wasn't for the fact that Laura Dern was naked about every 10 or 15 minutes, I would have turned it off. Nick Cage was the star and it was so typical of him. He played the brooding guy tricked into some crime he didn't want to do and the rest is just Lynch with weird plot lines, to me, just silly story, direction. I should have turned it off earlier but I enjoyed watching Miss Dern parading around in her birthday suit much of the time. I would think anyone who enjoyed Twin Peaks would love this movie.

You had me at "so typical David Lynch"...LOL

I've noticed the show on Netflix, but haven't tried it because I'm just plain not a fan of Nicholas Cage. However, I was unaware that it was a Lynch film. Now I know I absolutely must watch it. Lynch is famous for his style which is (according to Google) "uniquely disturbing and mind-bending visual work. His films juxtapose the cheerfully mundane with the shockingly macabre and often defy explanation".

And BTW, for anyone following this thread, "Twin Peaks" is the best TV series in history. If you haven't watched it, do so but whatever you do DON'T Google who killed Laura Palmer or it kills everything. The show "Lost" was always compared to Twin Peaks and considered to be a very "David Lynch type series" and the producers or Lost learned from Twin Peaks that allowed viewers to figure out who the killer was and there was nowhere to go after that. That's why Twin Peaks was only a 2 season show and the 2nd season was nothing to write home about because the main story line had already come to a conclusion and finality. That is why Lost tried to keep the plot going instead of letting you figure it out because they didn't want it to end...and, as a result, it became nearly unwatchable by the 6th season and people still don't know WTF happened.

In Twin Peaks, there were terrific actors and terrific cascading alternate plots going on - most were extremely devious at best. David Lynch even acts in the show as a near deaf FBI deputy who thinks he has to yell to be heard...LOL. I loved the acting of Miguel Ferrer (played "Albert" an obnoxious FBI agent (it's a shame he passed away several years ago...dittos with the passing of Peggy Lipton (played Norma Jean owner of the restaurant last year).

Regardless, if you haven't watched it, at the very least watch the first episode and make up your own mind.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

Well, after watching the trailer for Wild At Heart, I think I am going to pass. It might be a David Lynch film, but it just doesn't seem interesting to me. As far as catching some nude shots, mehh. My girlfriend is half my age, in incredible shape and walks around without clothes all the time. I don't need a blurry half second shot of a nudey from 30 years ago to get my mojo going...LOL

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 23, 2020, 11:10:14 AM
Well, after watching the trailer for Wild At Heart, I think I am going to pass. It might be a David Lynch film, but it just doesn't seem interesting to me. As far as catching some nude shots, mehh. My girlfriend is half my age, in incredible shape and walks around without clothes all the time. I don't need a blurry half second shot of a nudey from 30 years ago to get my mojo going...LOL

At 74, I don't watch movies to get my 'mojo' woking either, but when a gorgeous looking lady wants to 'show us what she's got', I won't turn it off.   :no: :no: :no: :no:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 23, 2020, 11:10:14 AM
Quote from: LennG on September 23, 2020, 04:13:03 PM
At 74, I don't watch movies to get my 'mojo' woking either, but when a gorgeous looking lady wants to 'show us what she's got', I won't turn it off.   :no: :no: :no: :no:

OMG, that conversation made me laugh hard...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for that boys.  ;) :D

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on September 23, 2020, 04:13:03 PM
=))

LennG

I have to throw this in, I also just rewatched Basic Instinct (not for the reasons that may be going on in your head  :laugh: :laugh:) but I have been meaning to rewatch it for a while and there it was. Now Ms Stone is another I won't look away when she decides to show us EVERYTHING.

Michael Douglas, at this time in his career, really had some great movie roles, here he was screwing Sharon Stone, in Fatal Attraction he was screwing Glenn Close and both left nothing to the imagination. I guess his Dad trained him right.    :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on September 24, 2020, 02:42:54 PM
I have to throw this in, I also just rewatched Basic Instinct (not for the reasons that may be going on in your head  :laugh: :laugh:) but I have been meaning to rewatch it for a while and there it was. Now Ms Stone is another I won't look away when she decides to show us EVERYTHING.

Michael Douglas, at this time in his career, really had some great movie roles, here he was screwing Sharon Stone, in Fatal Attraction he was screwing Glenn Close and both left nothing to the imagination. I guess his Dad trained him right.    :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

:yes: :yes: :laugh: :laugh:

Another good one from that period, also from M Douglas, was "Disclosure" with Demi Moore.

Re Demi Moore... Striptease... And I'll leave it at that.  ;) :D

Sem

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on September 25, 2020, 07:08:42 AM
:yes: :yes: :laugh: :laugh:

Another good one from that period, also from M Douglas, was "Disclosure" with Demi Moore.

Re Demi Moore... Striptease... And I'll leave it at that.  ;) :D

Demi Moore was the main reason for watching it, but Striptease wasn't a very good movie. Burt Reynolds was also in it if I remember. It was based on the book of the same name, (though two words - Strip Tease), written by one of my favorite authors Carl Hiaasen.
I know this is a "watching on TV" thread but if you're ever in the mood for a light, funny, enjoyable book look at any of his, all highly recommended. All his novels take place in Florida, and in one way or another involve mystery, environmentalism, a large dose of humor, and some of the most bizarre characters and plots you'll ever read. Clinton "Skink" Tyree is one such character. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Tyree#:~:text=Clinton%20Tyree%2C%20a.k.a.%20Skink%2C%20is,and%20partakes%20of%20roadkill%20cuisine.

ozzie

I am currently in the middle of Season 5 of Dexter on Netflix and I know a few other folks on here enjoyed the series.
I just heard that Showtime is bringing it back for a 10 episode season sometime in 2021.
I don't know how the series ended originally (haven't gotten there yet), but I know some didn't like the ending, maybe this will tie up some loose ends?
Too bad it's Showtime and not Netflix. Hopefully Netflix will get the rights to it soon after Showtime premieres it.
https://deadline.com/2020/10/dexter-showtime-reboot-limited-michael-c-hall-clyde-phillips-1234597514/

p.s. - I didn't read the entire article due to spoilers. I don't want to know how it ends until I actually get there!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on September 25, 2020, 08:28:38 AM
Demi Moore was the main reason for watching it, but Striptease wasn't a very good movie. Burt Reynolds was also in it if I remember. It was based on the book of the same name, (though two words - Strip Tease), written by one of my favorite authors Carl Hiaasen.
I know this is a "watching on TV" thread but if you're ever in the mood for a light, funny, enjoyable book look at any of his, all highly recommended. All his novels take place in Florida, and in one way or another involve mystery, environmentalism, a large dose of humor, and some of the most bizarre characters and plots you'll ever read. Clinton "Skink" Tyree is one such character. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Tyree#:~:text=Clinton%20Tyree%2C%20a.k.a.%20Skink%2C%20is,and%20partakes%20of%20roadkill%20cuisine.

I likewise watched it (long time ago) for the simple reason of seeing Demi Moore 98% naked. By the end, it was Burt Reynolds who stole the show as a corrupt and stupid politician - LMAO. I'm not a big Reynolds fan as he's usually an over-the-top actor with too much goofy laughing. Although, he played a serious role in "Deliverance" (which I'll never watch again and can never see Ned Beatty in anything that I don't think of his squealing like a pig clawing his way up a hill with his dirty "Whitey-Tighties" coming down... :o).

Funny you brought up Carl Hiaasen as I just bought two of his books off Amazon last week ("Razor Girl" and "Bad Monkey"). I used to be a prolific reader, but haven't been so much since my girlfriend moved in with me four years ago. I wanted to start a thread on novels at some point, but haven't gotten around to it. I also intend to move to Florida at some point in the future so I like to read stuff that uses Florida as a background. My mother was born and raised in Florida so made many a trip there to visit relatives while growing up. I moved there (Pinellas Park) in '73 for a year or so before moving back to New York. After visiting the area twice in the last 3 years, I decided that when I finally make the move it will probably be in the Jacksonville area, but I digress. Getting back to novels with Florida as a background, I've read a lot of Randy White's "Doc Ford's" books that are all set in the Sunshine State.

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on October 15, 2020, 08:49:14 AM
I am currently in the middle of Season 5 of Dexter on Netflix and I know a few other folks on here enjoyed the series.
I just heard that Showtime is bringing it back for a 10 episode season sometime in 2021.
I don't know how the series ended originally (haven't gotten there yet), but I know some didn't like the ending, maybe this will tie up some loose ends?
Too bad it's Showtime and not Netflix. Hopefully Netflix will get the rights to it soon after Showtime premieres it.
https://deadline.com/2020/10/dexter-showtime-reboot-limited-michael-c-hall-clyde-phillips-1234597514/

p.s. - I didn't read the entire article due to spoilers. I don't want to know how it ends until I actually get there!

As I believe we have meantioned, yes Dexter had one of the disappointing (and stupidest) endings especially for fans who stuck with it for all those years. There were no lose ends to tie up, it ended very conclusively, just very unsatisfying and if I say more, it might spoil your enjoyment of it.

Since you are onto season 5, I truly felt Season 4 was the best. I never saw it coming in the way they ended Season 4 and that was one of the biggest shocks I got from watching TV dramas. I just never saw that coming. Again, I won't reveal what happened as I don't want to spoil anything for others who might be watching, or who might watch at some future time.

Overall, still a great series, but you will see a sort of decline as you get to the last year or so.

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

I have started watching the new Star Trek series on Netflix. Let's see how this is...

Sem

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 15, 2020, 10:37:28 AM
I likewise watched it (long time ago) for the simple reason of seeing Demi Moore 98% naked. By the end, it was Burt Reynolds who stole the show as a corrupt and stupid politician - LMAO. I'm not a big Reynolds fan as he's usually an over-the-top actor with too much goofy laughing. Although, he played a serious role in "Deliverance" (which I'll never watch again and can never see Ned Beatty in anything that I don't think of his squealing like a pig clawing his way up a hill with his dirty "Whitey-Tighties" coming down... :o).

Funny you brought up Carl Hiaasen as I just bought two of his books off Amazon last week ("Razor Girl" and "Bad Monkey"). I used to be a prolific reader, but haven't been so much since my girlfriend moved in with me four years ago. I wanted to start a thread on novels at some point, but haven't gotten around to it. I also intend to move to Florida at some point in the future so I like to read stuff that uses Florida as a background. My mother was born and raised in Florida so made many a trip there to visit relatives while growing up. I moved there (Pinellas Park) in '73 for a year or so before moving back to New York. After visiting the area twice in the last 3 years, I decided that when I finally make the move it will probably be in the Jacksonville area, but I digress. Getting back to novels with Florida as a background, I've read a lot of Randy White's "Doc Ford's" books that are all set in the Sunshine State.

JBG, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on these books. I usually read his books as soon as they're released but I've gotten behind. I just started Razor Girl (what a concept!!) and have yet to read Bad Monkey. If you like them I'd highly recommend reading them all. Hiaasen also writes books for kids. I've read a couple and even though they're aimed at young teens they're still a fun read.

LennG

Just finished watching the final episode of 'The Boy's" on Prime and, as was season one, it was another great year.

Don't know if anyone else has watched this really Black Comedy (I think they really need a new category for this one), but it wrapped up pretty well if there won't be another season. Let's hope there is. A very good watch.

Charlie Weiss