News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you could live anywhere in the US, where would it be?

Started by MightyGiants, May 17, 2021, 10:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

In other words, what's your favorite part of the Country?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

The US Virgin Islands

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Sem

I'm already living in that spot. We bought a home on the central coast of California back in 2007, while we were still living in NY, and used it as a vacation home until 2013 when we made a  permanent move out here. Near perfect weather, 10 minutes from the beach. 30 minutes from the mountains. 3 1/2 hours from LA, 5 hours from SF. A day's ride, or less, to several national parks.

I'm likely going to retire next year and my wife and I have talked about possibly moving somewhere else with a more reasonable cost of living, but have yet to find anywhere else that would tempt us to consider moving. The only thing we're semi considering is selling our home and renting a home for a year at a time in different parts of the country and around the world.

philo43

I think perspective and context has a lot to do with this.

I joined the Army in 1980 at the age of 22.  I was fortunate enough to have lived in many different areas of the country. Overseas Greece - great place, Korea - sucked, Panama - sucked.  Colorado - great place, Tacoma WA - great place, South Carolina - ok, Ft Campbell KY - very good, Dallas area when I got out - sucks being a Giants fan and the Philadelphia area - where it really sucked being a Giants fan.

I moved back to my hometown of Binghamton in 2001.  There a lot of other people my age that moved away in their 20's after college or whatever, that are now moving back. That is why I mentioned perspective and context.

So to answer the question - right where I am.

People that have been here their whole lives can't wait to move away, yet those of us that did many are returning.

MightyGiants

To qualify, I haven't been to much outside the east coast.  Still, I really did like being out in AZ.  I could see myself living out in the desert.  Great scenery and no snow
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bldevil

AZ is nice.

I've been to all 50 states, lived in 7 states in the US and in Wash. DC, lived overseas, and traveled to 40+ countries.  I have voted with my feet and live north of San Diego, along the coast.  You can pretty much enjoy the outdoors year round.  Except for a couple of hours yesterday morning when we got like 0.10 inch of rain.

I like the idea of central CA coast, too.  Want to visit there more.

Runner up location is Sydney Australia.  Wonderful place, just like San Diego.

Worse place to live in the U.S.: Philadelphia.  Worse place to live overseas (from my experience): Jakarta/Mumbai.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

andrew_nyGiants

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

LennG

We live on Long Island NY right now and to put it mildly, we hate it. We have talked about moving for so long yet when we had the chance at the beginning of this year, we thought long and hard and the effort and stress it would bring and myself, being 75 we decided to try and make the best of it where we are.
That said, we do travel extensively. We are always going somewhere and our favorite spot is Vermont or New Hampshire. We LOVE the New England lifestyle, and we do try and spend as much time in that area as possible. If I were 10 years younger this is where we would move to.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I personally find Cali the most appealing, but the tax situation and cost of real estate in the nice areas there are both huge considerations. If money were no object I would definitely retire there though. Amazing lifestyle and epic scenery up and down the state. But try going on Zillow and doing a house search in your price range in an appealing area. It's mind-blowing. The nice parts of Southern Cali make the Hamptons look cheap. And then the second and third tier type places by extension are still uber expensive.

Jolly Blue Giant

I've been all over this great country and I still love upstate New York. However, I also love Florida and at some point in my life, if I live that long, I will be spending my winter months along the Gulf coast somewhere around Sarasota or a little south of there. It's only a matter of time. I'm at the age where skiing, snowmobiling, ice skating, and basically constantly shoveling snow that it's going to kill me at some point!  :crazy:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: