News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rank Best Female Rockers

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, May 06, 2024, 01:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on May 06, 2024, 07:42:25 PMSince I am from a different generation, my idea of Rockers may differ from some others

#5 Debbie Harry
#4 Grace Slick
#3-Cher
#2-Ronnie Spector (Ronnettes)
#1--Tina Turner

And just for pure best voice Mama Cass

I like Cher as well, and probably should have thrown her into the mix as she can get down and rocky with some of her songs. I saw the Ronnettes about 25 years ago on the 18th hole at the BC Open and ran smack into Ronnie after the concert. She was very down to earth and friendly. I told her that I thought her show was marvelous and that I loved her voice. She sheepishly told me "thank you" and "that means a lot to me". Smiled from ear to ear. Hard to believe she was married to that creep Phil Spector  :sick: Hard to fathom how successful he was getting the Beatles going and a myriad of other singers (Tina Turner, the Righteous Brothers, the individual Beatles after their breakup, etc.) before committing the most horrendous murder. The movie "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", really tells the story of all the big wigs in the music industry and film industry during the 60's if one keeps track, and even the Manson murders...and of course, Spector is right there in the middle of it. It's like the true history of Hollywood...but I digress

As far as best voice, Mama Cass (Ellen Naomi Cohen, known professionally as Cass Elliot) hated the name "Mama", but had the voice of a diva in an opera...for which she aspired to until her untimely death. Unbelievably great voice, with a unique quality that sets her apart from all female voices. Cher also has that unique sound that no can reproduce. Personally, I'd have to say Whitney Houston is probably the top voice for females, but again, it's all subjective. And I'd be remiss not to mention Mariah Carey with her six octave range...which is utterly ridiculous

Whitney sang the greatest love song ever sung...IMO. This song still brings tears to my eyes, which is the mark of once-in-a-lifetime singer, who can create such an emotion. It was especially dramatic as it was pumped over the loudspeakers as her casket was rolled away down the church aisle at her funeral  :'(

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on May 07, 2024, 01:46:48 AMA couple more that I thought of who I really enjoy.

Dolores O'Riordan (RIP)
Chrissie Hynde

Yes, they should be on the list. I particularly like O'Riordan's voice, and Hynde singing with the Pretenders was also very good

There's a lot of female singers that are very good and also "rockers", but have such a small sample size, or picked the wrong songs to showcase their voice, or simply didn't live in the U.S. or U.K. A couple of examples are Martika (small sample size) and Nena (German songstress)

Martika...really gets down at the end when she throws herself to the floor hammering the stage with her fist and quite a screaming performance. Girl has pipes...can really croon with the best of them

This song by Nena was played a lot when China was sending spy balloons over the U.S. and we shot them down. This song is about 99 balloons being released from a party and the German Army was called to shoot them down thinking they were being invaded...LOL. She's far more pop than rock, but unique. She also released this song in English, but it became a hit in the U.S. as it was sung in it's original German. I always imagine a fat slob sitting outside a gas station picking his teeth and saying, "yup...I'd do her"...LOL. Something an old girlfriend said to me as the height of insult as she was getting ogled
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: