News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Roger Goodell mulls 18-game slate, Presidents Day weekend Super Bowl

Started by DaveBrown74, April 27, 2024, 09:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

madbadger

He won't stop chasing a buck until 50% of his former players are dead by the age of 40. With all that we know about the impact of head injuries you'd think that they'd be looking for ways to shorten the season instead of adding more.

uconnjack8

Pretty much knew this was coming when they went to 17 games. 

I do like the idea of a Holiday weekend Super Bowl.

andrew_nyGiants

Goodell should mull stepping away, he's systematically ruining the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

katkavage

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 27, 2024, 10:41:02 AMGoodell should mull stepping away, he's systematically ruining the NFL.

Might be true, but they are a money machine and the owners love it.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on April 27, 2024, 11:00:31 AMMight be true, but they are a money machine and the owners love it.
Exactly, it's all a money grab anymore. The traditions, talent and exposure are all watered down.

Defenses can no longer be dominant like they used to be, and they run through players like Kleenex tissue with the inattention to playing surfaces and recovery time.

18 games? Hell why not make it 20 and put flags on them?! Oh wait, that's what he's pondering!
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

TONKA56

I hate the modern NFL. If I was younger and not motivated by nostalgia and tradition I'm sure I'd not be remotely interested. 

kartanoman

Quote from: madbadger on April 27, 2024, 09:53:13 AMHe won't stop chasing a buck until 50% of his former players are dead by the age of 40. With all that we know about the impact of head injuries you'd think that they'd be looking for ways to shorten the season instead of adding more.

I agree. More hits, less time to prepare equals higher risk for injuries and shorter NFL careers. Translate: players want to be paid even more if their futures are at higher risk of being debilitated. More NFLPA grievances against Goodell and his band of billionaires. It's little wonder the romance of the sport has gone the way of the dinosaur. Not even the late Steve Sabol could manufacture a script for NFL Films to cover up how the greed and ultimate lacking for what's best for the players' safety has compromised the sport.

Goodell is completely missing the point. Take care of the players and the current issues, regarding safety, in today's game, first and foremost!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Messiah717

Greed knows no bounds.  18 games, short weeks with Thursday games and whatever other ideas they can come up with that are detrimental to the players health.  Isn't the average career short enough? 

President Rick

don't forget expansion.  Two scenarios:  add eight teams with one additional team in @ division  OR add four and re-shuffle into NFC east central and west, with AFC east central and west.  The latter is easier in terms of adding teams but awful with a major re-shuffle.  And yes I foresee teams outside the US...london, 1 or 2 in germany??, mexico city, maybe toronto, plus some more in US like San Antonio, etc.  I believe we will see something like one of those 2 scenarios above  happen within the next ten years.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

UncannyGfan

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TDToomer

We vacation every year that Holiday weekend and this would really suck for us. Sometimes we may be in another country that may not have the game. They also are encroaching on the Winter Olympics once every 4 years.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 27, 2024, 10:41:02 AMGoodell should mull stepping away, he's systematically ruining the NFL.

Like him or not, the league has done nothing but explode in popularity under his watch.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 27, 2024, 02:53:46 PMLike him or not, the league has done nothing but explode in popularity under his watch.
I disagree.

Marketed ad nauseam world-wide, over exposed and over played...yes.

Popular? Not to any true fan who actually care about the players.

It's become the 21st Century version of the Gladiators (no not the tv show, the real thing).

Show some true care and concern for the players post career and stop trying to play 6 days per week 23 weeks of the year, and regain the respect of the fans.