News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Exercising that blob atop my shoulders (Wordle)

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, January 18, 2022, 04:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

No one said you can use the same letter twice in different places?

BOOOO
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on January 20, 2022, 05:44:19 PM
No one said you can use the same letter twice in different places?

BOOOO

yeah, forgot to mention that  :boooo:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

So why wouldn't it show up as green and also yellow?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on January 20, 2022, 08:06:42 PM
So why wouldn't it show up as green and also yellow?

If you put the same letter in a guess such as "never" and the answer is "there"...one "e" will turn "yellow", but not two (because neither "e" is in the correct spot. If your second guess is "sleet", the third "e" turns green and fourth "e" turns yellow indicating that there are two "e's", but one is in the wrong place. It only happens when you guess a word using same two letters that are the same and one is in the correct spot, but the other is not. Quite rare when it happens and can throw you off when you see your letter is green, but also yellow.

Kind of complicated, but that's how it works. You get better over time because you begin to see the different nuances.

As a side note, I've played over a hundred games and have yet to use the letter "j", but I've had to use "q", "x", and "z" a few times. Must be there's not a lot of 5-letter words that have a "j" in them.

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 21, 2022, 07:52:00 AM
If you put the same letter in a guess such as "never" and the answer is "there"...one "e" will turn "yellow", but not two (because neither "e" is in the correct spot. If your second guess is "sleet", the third "e" turns green and fourth "e" turns yellow indicating that there are two "e's", but one is in the wrong place. It only happens when you guess a word using same two letters that are the same and one is in the correct spot, but the other is not. Quite rare when it happens and can throw you off when you see your letter is green, but also yellow.

Kind of complicated, but that's how it works. You get better over time because you begin to see the different nuances.

As a side note, I've played over a hundred games and have yet to use the letter "j", but I've had to use "q", "x", and "z" a few times. Must be there's not a lot of 5-letter words that have a "j" in them.
Save these for future reference:

joust
joist
joint
jewel
jaded
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Really enjoying doing my daily Wordle. I've now done ten days worth of them. Sadly, while I wish I could report a perfect record, I missed one two or three days ago so I'm at 90% so far. On the one I missed, I was very sloppy/lazy with my 3rd and 4th guesses and didn't put nearly enough thought into them. Lesson learned. But I think this is a fun little daily exercise that gives your brain a quick workout to start the day without taking too long.

T200

I'm enjoying it as well. I've done 9 so far and missed my first one yesterday. Was getting frustrated and rushed it as well lol

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 27, 2022, 09:59:46 AM
Really enjoying doing my daily Wordle. I've now done ten days worth of them. Sadly, while I wish I could report a perfect record, I missed one two or three days ago so I'm at 90% so far. On the one I missed, I was very sloppy/lazy with my 3rd and 4th guesses and didn't put nearly enough thought into them. Lesson learned. But I think this is a fun little daily exercise that gives your brain a quick workout to start the day without taking too long.

I rarely lose because I won't give up no matter how bizarre the word. Here's one that I lost the other day on the "do as often as you like" site. The answer was "HOUND" - I lost!  :(

LennG

I got todays in as quick as I've gotten any other.

My strategy is to start with HOIST, every game, then READY. That gives me 4 of the 5 vowels and several good letters. Then seeing what I've gotten so far, I will try for a word with U and whatever letters I can use with it. My third word today was NUMBS and it gave me all the letters for the missing word.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: LennG on January 27, 2022, 07:55:38 PM
I got todays in as quick as I've gotten any other.

My strategy is to start with HOIST, every game, then READY. That gives me 4 of the 5 vowels and several good letters. Then seeing what I've gotten so far, I will try for a word with U and whatever letters I can use with it. My third word today was NUMBS and it gave me all the letters for the missing word.
I start with words with RSTLN and the vowels. I try and get in as many vowels as I can.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on January 27, 2022, 09:11:55 PM
I start with words with RSTLN and the vowels. I try and get in as many vowels as I can.

I like to mix it up, but also try to get as many vowels in the starting word...like POISE, HOUSE, RAISE, etc., and other words with commonly used consonants like TRAIN, MOIST, ROAST, PLACE, TRACE

Unless it's the daily word on the official Wordle site, I just put in the first word that pops into my mind (unless it has two of the same letters...usually anyway)

LennG

Question on todays game

I started with HOIST--nothing
Went with READY- Got E and Y correct
Went with FLUKE and K correct and a yellow E

Wouldn't that indicate that there was another E somewhere since my first E was green with the READY word? This thru me off until I just ignored the yellow E and proceeded to get the word.
I thought it was mentioned that if there were 2 of the same letters, one would be green if it were in the correct spot, and then if there were another it would be yellow.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on January 28, 2022, 08:42:32 PM
Question on todays game

I started with HOIST--nothing
Went with READY- Got E and Y correct
Went with FLUKE and K correct and a yellow E

Wouldn't that indicate that there was another E somewhere since my first E was green with the READY word? This thru me off until I just ignored the yellow E and proceeded to get the word.
I thought it was mentioned that if there were 2 of the same letters, one would be green if it were in the correct spot, and then if there were another it would be yellow.

No. When you went with READY, you had the E and the Y in the correct spots already.

When you then went with FLUKE, since you moved the E out of the correct spot, it switched from green to yellow. It wasn't going to keep it as green since you moved it.

Jolly Blue Giant

Got a tough one. Anyone see something that I don't see??

T200