News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Will DJ Be Better With Nabers?

Started by Philosophers, April 25, 2024, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 27, 2024, 07:35:37 AMIf they are treading water for the next 2 years, do you think Daboll is still around for the new QB?

Hard to say.

I don't think Jones will be the QB for the next two years, first of all. It's not impossible, but my base case is he will be gone after this year. Even if he plays like he played in 2022, which I know some here think was really good, I think they will be looking to go in a different direction after the season is over. He'll have to play multiple cuts better than he has ever played before to stay in my opinion.

Of course, if the team is something like 9-8 this year (I am not at all saying they will be, just if), then they'll be in a tough position to draft a QB. They'll be looking at picking up the scraps outside of the top 10, or giving up multiple future first rounders to move up in what figures to be a weaker class than this year. So there is that issue too.

One thing I know for sure is that if they didn't want to preserve the option of cutting Jones after 2024, they would have restructured his contract to not have to absorb a $47mm hit this year. So unless they suddenly do that (I don't know what the deadline is), we know that they're not all-in on him as far as the long term goes. We also pretty much know that they tried to move up to three and weren't able to. All the reliable sources like Rapaport have stated that as basically fact.

So as far as Daboll and Schoen go, I think if they move on from Jones after 2024, they're not going to be in a position where they're expected to suddenly contend with a rookie QB. I guess if this season is a total catastrophe Mara could just clean house, as we have seen him do before, but I think that is far from being base case.

TONKA56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 27, 2024, 08:24:50 AMHard to say.

I don't think Jones will be the QB for the next two years, first of all. It's not impossible, but my base case is he will be gone after this year. Even if he plays like he played in 2022, which I know some here think was really good, I think they will be looking to go in a different direction after the season is over. He'll have to play multiple cuts better than he has ever played before to stay in my opinion.

Of course, if the team is something like 9-8 this year (I am not at all saying they will be, just if), then they'll be in a tough position to draft a QB. They'll be looking at picking up the scraps outside of the top 10, or giving up multiple future first rounders to move up in what figures to be a weaker class than this year. So there is that issue too.

One thing I know for sure is that if they didn't want to preserve the option of cutting Jones after 2024, they would have restructured his contract to not have to absorb a $47mm hit this year. So unless they suddenly do that (I don't know what the deadline is), we know that they're not all-in on him as far as the long term goes. We also pretty much know that they tried to move up to three and weren't able to. All the reliable sources like Rapaport have stated that as basically fact.

So as far as Daboll and Schoen go, I think if they move on from Jones after 2024, they're not going to be in a position where they're expected to suddenly contend with a rookie QB. I guess if this season is a total catastrophe Mara could just clean house, as we have seen him do before, but I think that is far from being base case.

I don't see Mara cleaning house no matter how bad the record is unless it's accompanied by a media meltdown and a lot of dirty laundry.

andrew_nyGiants

If they can solidify the OL, establish a running game and pass pro....and he still cannot develop a consistent downfield passing threat and manage to stay healthy...it's time to move on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!