News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can the Giants ever win a SB with Barkley taking 90% of the snaps

Started by BluesCruz, May 25, 2023, 08:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Barkley was targeted or rushed 36% of Offensive snaps. The Giants had a 50/50 pass/rush. Barkley was 4th in the league in rushing attempts and yardage. DJ was the second leading rusher in yards and attempts.

Just the facts Jack.

The best points made here were by Rich. Kafka and Daboll didn't want B&B on the field because there was no advantage to it. The Rookie Gray is going to have to prove he can pass block for him to take some of the load off of Saquon. I don't see the Giants having two RBs on the field very often. B&B were liabilities in pass protection or Rush/Receiving. This is why the Giants drafted a RB. Not to replace SB but to do what he can do.

As to derailing yet another thread in all due deference to artistic rage, a Jim Brown in 2023 would also be bigger and stronger and SB is no JB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 25, 2023, 10:51:37 AMBarkley was targeted or rushed 36% of Offensive snaps. The Giants had a 50/50 pass/rush. Barkley was 4th in the league in rushing attempts and yardage. DJ was the second leading rusher in yards and attempts.

Just the facts Jack.

The best points made here were by Rich. Kafka and Daboll didn't want B&B on the field because there was no advantage to it. The Rookie Gray is going to have to prove he can pass block for him to take some of the load off of Saquon. I don't see the Giants having two RBs on the field very often. B&B were liabilities in pass protection or Rush/Receiving. This is why the Giants drafted a RB. Not to replace SB but to do what he can do.

As to derailing yet another thread in all due deference to artistic rage, a Jim Brown in 2023 would also be bigger and stronger and SB is no JB.
It'll likely be in that week 6 to week 11 time frame that he's used more, from last year we've seen that the staff likes to ease offensive skills into the lineup. I expect the same from Hyatt, maybe 12-15 snaps a game until he proves he belongs.

BluesCruz

Quote from: PSUBeirut on May 25, 2023, 01:04:42 PMIn my defense, I honestly hardly ever look to see who posts what- I mostly just read the content and reply.  I think I'll be watching more carefully now.  No more excuses.  =))

LOL  You didnt even know J Brown won an NFL Championship, and have the nerve to laugh at me?

Give me a Brake

Ride Barkley into the sunset.  Yeah he racks up yards but not consistently.  It comes in big chunks or not at all. 

Modern NFL offenses rotate backs, period.....I guess we are not following the crowd.  I hope that passing game flourishes like advertized or we are looking at a lot of last minute wins or losses this coming season.

Its entertaining, I'll grant you that.  Me I'd prefer to clobber the opponent (and beat Philly and the Boys once again in my lifetime)
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 03:25:55 PMLOL  You didnt even know J Brown won an NFL Championship, and have the nerve to laugh at me?

Give me a Brake

Ride Barkley into the sunset.  Yeah he racks up yards but not consistently.  It comes in big chunks or not at all. 

Modern NFL offenses rotate backs, period.....I guess we are not following the crowd.  I hope that passing game flourishes like advertized or we are looking at a lot of last minute wins or losses this coming season.

Its entertaining, I'll grant you that.  Me I'd prefer to clobber the opponent (and beat Philly and the Boys once again in my lifetime)

You're all over the place you start a thread about how the Giants can't win a Super Bowl with Barkley being their most important offensive player yet you use a comparison to a RB who played in the NFL in the pre Super Bowl era.  Maybe next time bring up players who have played more recently and not ones that have long since been retired.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

BluesCruz

Quote from: True Blue on May 25, 2023, 03:40:45 PMGladly, what type of car you drive? Just want to make sure it is compatible

If I were Schoen I'd sign Elliott before someone else does

Talk about someone who can get the tough yards

He may have lost a step but he is a killer. An assassin

Unless be has some medical issue that has not come out

Replacement for Brieda  who I liked but like Elliott more

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 04:22:57 PMIf I were Schoen I'd sign Elliott before someone else does

Barkley had more yards rushing and averaged more yards per carry last season than Elliott.  There's a reason no one has signed him.  He's nothing special anymore.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Rambo89 on May 25, 2023, 04:22:35 PMYou're all over the place you start a thread about how the Giants can't win a Super Bowl with Barkley being their most important offensive player yet you use a comparison to a RB who played in the NFL in the pre Super Bowl era.  Maybe next time bring up players who have played more recently and not ones that have long since been retired.

You missed the point
Eras don't matter with Jim Brown or LT

They were super human
As if they came from a different planet

There are no comparables for either guy

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 04:22:57 PMIf I were Schoen I'd sign Elliott before someone else does

You do realize we drafted a running back to replace Breida's carries correct? Breida now will take Brightwells carries... We have 3 running backs, and a special teams player cosplaying as a Running back. So we don't need Elliot, a broke down back who's yardage was like 22nd in the league last season. It would be like the Giants signing Jonathan Stewart all over again..

pointless.

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 04:26:29 PMYou missed the point
Eras don't matter with Jim Brown or LT

They were super human
As if they came from a different planet

There are no comparables for either guy

It's a point that makes no sense in the context of this thread and topic.

uconnjack8

Eras matter. 

Jim Brown was the size of the average linemen in his day.  Today that would be a guy that could move like him at 300lbs.

From the looks of the chart, LBs got bigger towards the middle to end of his career, which I am sure is not a coincidence. He was literally bigger than almost all the players on the field and today he would be a slightly above average size RB.

I am sure he would have been good today, but I highly doubt he would have been dominating in the way he was then. 

I never saw Babe Ruth but I doubt he would have gotten a 38-42 oz bat around on a 95 MPH pitch.

I know we all love to be nostalgic about great players from our youth but there is a reality to the size and speed of the players in today's game that is remarkably different than that of 70 years ago.

kingm56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 25, 2023, 04:46:08 PMEras matter. 

Jim Brown was the size of the average linemen in his day.  Today that would be a guy that could move like him at 300lbs.

From the looks of the chart, LBs got bigger towards the middle to end of his career, which I am sure is not a coincidence. He was literally bigger than almost all the players on the field and today he would be a slightly above average size RB.

I am sure he would have been good today, but I highly doubt he would have been dominating in the way he was then. 

I never saw Babe Ruth but I doubt he would have gotten a 38-42 oz bat around on a 95 MPH pitch.

I know we all love to be nostalgic about great players from our youth but there is a reality to the size and speed of the players in today's game that is remarkably different than that of 70 years ago.

Great chart, Matt!!  I truly appreciate the physical depiction of how much NFL players have changed.

Still, I'm confused what Jim Brown and 1950s era football has ANYTHING to do with Barkly, the modern NFL, or this threads title.  Talk about nonsensical...

uconnjack8

Quote from: kingm56 on May 25, 2023, 04:51:34 PMGreat chart, Matt!!  I truly appreciate the physical depiction of how much NFL players have changed.

Still, I'm confused what Jim Brown and 1950s era football has ANYTHING to do with Barkly or the modern NFL.  Talk about nonsensical...

Sorry for continuing that part of the thread. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with Barkley and today's Giants. 

Rambo89

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 25, 2023, 04:46:08 PMEras matter. 

Absolutely, not to get off topic but if there was a RB that was that much bigger than defensive players today then yeah Jim Brown would be a good comparison.  But since they aren't it's pointless.

y_so_blu

If our defense makes it really ugly for the other team, then yeah. Saquon and the line can commit entirely to running it down their throats.

That's IF we get to a Super Bowl. Until then it makes sense to rotate him. Otherwise he won't be in top form when we need him most.

AZGiantFan

The Giants may or may not win a SB with Barkley but we know the Cowboys didn't win a SB with Eliot, despite having more talent than the Giants for his whole Cowboy tenure.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll