News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

ESPN's Bill Barnwell lists the Giants among the teams with the worst offseason

Started by MightyGiants, May 28, 2023, 08:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

I welcome an opposing view, especially since the consensus is the opposite.

There has been some conversation here about contract amounts and caution about injury histories. 

With guys like Okerke or Campbell it's about whether you see them as an ascending player or someone that has topped out. 

I think in both cases there are some specific roles that coaches and coordinators think they will fit perfectly.

It's a smart coaching staff that seems to know what they want.

BluesCruz

when it come right down to it

the Giants needed the most help on the offensive and defensive lines (including good backs up to spell the starters) and especially at LBer

Schoen patched some of those holes, he's not done Im sure

We lost two of our better skill players in Love and James.  We will see how the reshuffled DBs and WRs turn out

To me the key non-draft move Schoen made was this Bobby Okereke.  That was the biggest hole and according to reports this guy should shore up the middle.   Its been a while since we have had a top flight MLBer
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 28, 2023, 09:34:31 PMI welcome an opposing view, especially since the consensus is the opposite.

There has been some conversation here about contract amounts and caution about injury histories. 

With guys like Okerke or Campbell it's about whether you see them as an ascending player or someone that has topped out. 

I think in both cases there are some specific roles that coaches and coordinators think they will fit perfectly.

It's a smart coaching staff that seems to know what they want.

That's why I post them.  I think the best chance of getting it right is to listen and evaluate all points of view.

As for Campbell, he was a former 2nd round WR with impressive ability.  His first 3 years were marred by injury, and last season was hampered by having no QB

I am not a hundred percent certain what we have in Okerke.  He remains a bit of a mystery to me.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 29, 2023, 07:21:10 AMThat's why I post them.  I think the best chance of getting it right is to listen and evaluate all points of view.

As for Campbell, he was a former 2nd round WR with impressive ability.  His first 3 years were marred by injury, and last season was hampered by having no QB

I am not a hundred percent certain what we have in Okerke.  He remains a bit of a mystery to me.

I welcome opposing views, too (as I always do here)... but that doesn't change my reply to Barnwell.  LOL
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 29, 2023, 07:47:37 AMI welcome opposing views, too (as I always do here)... but that doesn't change my reply to Barnwell.  LOL

Welcoming and agreeing with are (as you well know) totally different  ;)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

While I agree that many of these moves are dependent on the QB living up to expectations with upgraded talent around him; there is one BIG point that the author glosses over in his critique, and we only need reach back as far as DG to make it:

This FO is not merely collecting talent to fill perceived holes on the roster. They are building a team based on fit and a winning culture. To do that is to roll the dice a bit. If it works, you're perceived a genius, if it doesn't, you overspent.

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 29, 2023, 07:52:27 AMWelcoming and agreeing with are (as you well know) totally different  ;)

I read opposing views for the same reason I tend to read 1-star reviews on Amazon - a) does the guy sound like he knows what he's talking about, and b) are his points good or bushwa.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 29, 2023, 02:30:50 PMI read opposing views for the same reason I tend to read 1-star reviews on Amazon - a) does the guy sound like he knows what he's talking about, and b) are his points good or bushwa.

Rich,

I tend to read the 3 star reviews.  I figure the 3 star reviews are real.  No one will go through the trouble to post a fake 3 star review.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

The guy criticized Schoen but did not offer any views on what Schoen might have done alternatively.

From my point of view Schoen did a fine off season job.

He handled the Jones/Barkley/Lawrence contracts well and had a very decent draft

I want to see if we can stop the run this year before I jump on the bandwagon completely.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Gmo11

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 31, 2023, 07:13:43 AMThe guy criticized Schoen but did not offer any views on what Schoen might have done alternatively.

From my point of view Schoen did a fine off season job.

He handled the Jones/Barkley/Lawrence contracts well and had a very decent draft

I want to see if we can stop the run this year before I jump on the bandwagon completely.

He says pretty clearly that "Not Signing Jones" would have been one thing he'd do differently.  As well as "not giving Okereke that much money" being another.  Two rather large moves of the offseason.  I think those things will probably end up fine.  They didn't have any better options than Jones for this season and Okereke was about the last viable LB left so they had to overpay a bit to make sure they got one.  It's all justifiable.  But those guys have to perform now.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on May 31, 2023, 08:45:13 AMHe says pretty clearly that "Not Signing Jones" would have been one thing he'd do differently.  As well as "not giving Okereke that much money" being another.  Two rather large moves of the offseason.  I think those things will probably end up fine.  They didn't have any better options than Jones for this season and Okereke was about the last viable LB left so they had to overpay a bit to make sure they got one.  It's all justifiable.  But those guys have to perform now.

Differently and alternately, while having similar meanings, do have differences.   Differently is really not much different than just criticizing.   Is there an effective difference between saying you don't like a move or saying you wouldn't make a move?

Alternatively would have been more than just saying you don't like the contract the Giants signed Jones for.  It would have provided the ALTERNATIVE to replace Jones.  I think it's more than fair to ask more from critics than just complaining about things.  Providing an alternative forces a critic to have to operate in and appreciate the constraints and realities of a situation.  Something that "I don't like" isn't burdened with.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 31, 2023, 09:12:33 AMDifferently and alternately, while having similar meanings, do have differences.   Differently is really not much different than just criticizing.   Is there an effective difference between saying you don't like a move or saying you wouldn't make a move?

Alternatively would have been more than just saying you don't like the contract the Giants signed Jones for.  It would have provided the ALTERNATIVE to replace Jones.  I think it's more than fair to ask more from critics than just complaining about things.  Providing an alternative forces a critic to have to operate in and appreciate the constraints and realities of a situation.  Something that "I don't like" isn't burdened with.

But if you don't like a move it's pretty clear you wouldn't have made it if it were up to you. Why would you make a move you don't like? 

The point about providing other options is a good one though.  Because it seems the only other viable option was let Jones walk and tank for a QB after next season.  Which is hard to do when you just made the playoffs the year before.  There just wasn't a lot of better options so it would have been good to at least present some sort of alternative strategy on that one.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on May 31, 2023, 11:31:03 AMBut if you don't like a move it's pretty clear you wouldn't have made it if it were up to you. Why would you make a move you don't like? 

The point about providing other options is a good one though.  Because it seems the only other viable option was let Jones walk and tank for a QB after next season.  Which is hard to do when you just made the playoffs the year before.  There just wasn't a lot of better options so it would have been good to at least present some sort of alternative strategy on that one.

Plus tanking is far from a sure thing.  It's going to be tough to dethrone the Bucs for the worst team in 2023

https://twitter.com/kyle_burger/status/1663569935300173825
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE