News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Neal or Wilson

Started by ralphpal1, May 31, 2023, 08:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphpal1

Looking back would you rather keep Neal or drafted G Wilson who went 10th
I just remembered when the Bengals drafted chase and people thought that was a mistake and look what happened
I know it is early and if Neal becomes an all pro it was the right move
But G Wilson has a chance to be a top 10 WR or better and in a passing league
That seems to be the way to go

DaveBrown74

With the benefit of hindsight, definitely Wilson. Neal may improve and become good or very good, but we don't know that. He also might end up being just ok, or, possibly, less than ok. Wilson is clearly an elite talent who proved that last year beyond question. There is way less uncertainty with him. His floor is much higher than Neal's.

Painter

Could be, and might be, are presumptuous never mind impatient but they will always find audience among those whose instinct it is to second-guess, or who can't seem to find something else to talk about except always after the fact.

Cheers!

Philosophers

Quote from: Painter on May 31, 2023, 09:43:07 PMCould be, and might be, are presumptuous never mind impatient but they will always find audience among those whose instinct it is to second-guess, or who can't seem to find something else to talk about except always after the fact.

Cheers!

Someone makes a prediction, you seem to have to comment on the fact that it is a prediction and they are generally worthless.  This board is all about making predictions, forecasts, etc.  Just read past the post or ignore it if it bothers you so much.

I mean the title Neal or Wilson should help you figure out what it will be.

Philosophers

A great WR is simply not going to be maximized if a QB's OL is terrible.  When Eli finally got OBJ, he had a good OL to sit behind and hurl lightning to OBJ.  I like Wilson a lot, but we needed Neal first before we could enjoy Wilson (and yes that assumes Neal becomes a better RT which I fully expect will happen this year).  I think he will become Jack Conklin.  Yes, you heard it here first. 

Gmo11

Quote from: ralphpal1 on May 31, 2023, 08:02:38 PMLooking back would you rather keep Neal or drafted G Wilson who went 10th
I just remembered when the Bengals drafted chase and people thought that was a mistake and look what happened
I know it is early and if Neal becomes an all pro it was the right move
But G Wilson has a chance to be a top 10 WR or better and in a passing league
That seems to be the way to go

I don't think it's fair to look at it this way unless you also felt before the draft started if given the choice of Neal or Wilson the Giants should go Wilson.  Because when the Giants made that pick almost universally it was applauded and not just around these parts.  Neal had alllll the makings of a stud RT and to be honest, still does.  He had a rough first year which can't be denied but it's just one rookie season.  He could turn into a pro bowler this year the way Thomas did on the other side after a piss poor start to his career. 

WRs have proven to be significantly more valuable in today's NFL than was previously thought.  You can just look at the contracts being thrown around if you don't believe me.  So it's entirely possible that if somebody thought Wilson was going to be Jamarr Chase that they should take him and figure out the OL later.  But for me, I thought Neal was too good to pass up at the time so I'm not gonna crush them for it now.

Painter

Quote from: Philosophers on May 31, 2023, 09:48:05 PMSomeone makes a prediction, you seem to have to comment on the fact that it is a prediction and they are generally worthless.  This board is all about making predictions, forecasts, etc.  Just read past the post or ignore it if it bothers you so much.

I mean the title Neal or Wilson should help you figure out what it will be.

I get it alright, all too well. Sorry, Joseph. But, it works both ways. Sometimes you don't like it, well you just kinda like have to lump it. So save your counsel.

Ed Vette

Too early to tell. If Neal mirrors Thomas, then that is a game changer and Ramses Barden would have 1500 yards and 12 TD's.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I am not giving up on Neal.  I think the talent is there.  I think the character and work ethic is there.  I have found, more often than not, players will succeed rather than fail if they have those traits.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Giving up on Neal? Is that serious consideration, or even a remotely responsible notion?
Of course, he was so awful last season- he was, wasn't he?- that he almost reminded us of Andrew Thomas in his first season which brought the weaker hearts amongst us to begin toying with the obviously better alternatives question.

Cheers!

nb587

Quote from: Philosophers on May 31, 2023, 10:19:16 PMA great WR is simply not going to be maximized if a QB's OL is terrible.  When Eli finally got OBJ, he had a good OL to sit behind and hurl lightning to OBJ.  I like Wilson a lot, but we needed Neal first before we could enjoy Wilson (and yes that assumes Neal becomes a better RT which I fully expect will happen this year).  I think he will become Jack Conklin.  Yes, you heard it here first. 
Not sure I agree.  See Ja'mar Chase.  Bengals OL is and was pretty bad.

uconnjack8

I was a big advocate for Neal and I am not changing my opinion on that. 

I think if Wilson had been asked to change positions upon entering the NFL he would have likely had a season similar to what Neal experienced. 

DaveBrown74

Show of hands: if you were a Jets fan, and you were asked if you'd trade Wilson right now for Evan Neal, what do you think your response would be?

Asking for a friend.

Philosophers

Quote from: nb587 on June 01, 2023, 10:59:41 AMNot sure I agree.  See Ja'mar Chase.  Bengals OL is and was pretty bad.

It may be an exception but there are probably 100x other cases the other way in which a subpar OL does not allow a QB time to sling it downfield.  Honestly, nobody here knows enough about the Bengals to know how they were able to make it happen.  So that is even less valuable to me.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 01, 2023, 12:20:38 PMShow of hands: if you were a Jets fan, and you were asked if you'd trade Wilson right now for Evan Neal, what do you think your response would be?

Asking for a friend.

Who cares? At the end of their rookie years Bechton was a better tackle than Thomas. There isn't a single sane Jets fan that wouldn't trade the two straight up today. It's a marathon not a sprint.

I'm in the wait and see mode with Neal. Maybe he's a bust or maybe he's a dude who dominated in college purely on size and athleticism and needs more time to adjust to the NFL game that requires a tackle to be a master technician.

Wilson is a great player though and if the Giants had drafted him I'd be excited to have him on the roster.