News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones and Trevor Lawerence

Started by MightyGiants, December 19, 2023, 12:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Trevor Lawrence's stats are generally brought down by an abysmal rookie campaign, which one will recall was the Urban Meyer year--you know, the one where the head coach was staying behind on trips after gameday to cavort with women (other than his wife) at bars. Since then, Lawrence's performance has generally trended upward. He's even top-10 in QBR this season. But he came in to the league talked about as a generational-level talent and I think its fair to say that he has not met those lofty expectations. However, he is productive and looks to be headed in the right direction. Not to mention he has started every game since day 1 of his career in the NFL. I'd gladly have him on the Giants.

Fletch

Wait so they played the same number of games despite Jones being drafted 2 years before?

Yea who would take Jones over Lawrence? Serious question.

katkavage

Quote from: Fletch on December 19, 2023, 01:11:43 PMWait so they played the same number of games despite Jones being drafted 2 years before?

Yea who would take Jones over Lawrence? Serious question.
Maybe the Jags will swap the Jints Lawrence for Jones. Maybe give them a late round pick to be nice. I mean, if the stats are similar?

Painter

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on December 19, 2023, 12:57:57 PMTrevor Lawrence's stats are generally brought down by an abysmal rookie campaign, which one will recall was the Urban Meyer year--you know, the one where the head coach was staying behind on trips after gameday to cavort with women (other than his wife) at bars. Since then, Lawrence's performance has generally trended upward. He's even top-10 in QBR this season. But he came in to the league talked about as a generational-level talent and I think its fair to say that he has not met those lofty expectations. However, he is productive and looks to be headed in the right direction. Not to mention he has started every game since day 1 of his career in the NFL. I'd gladly have him on the Giants.

With due respect, I think you are rationalizing rather than recognizing what may seem to be inconvenient. It is a simple and obvious fact that from his first day as the No.1 overall pick, Lawrence brought with him high expectation and "star power" none of which has ever been attached to Jones. It is for that reason that their 48-start statistical comparison seems to be such a surprise.

I don't necessarily disagree with your view of the future, but if you look at Jones and the Giants from last year and don't yoke him with all the blame for the team's complete reversal this season, it might suggest a caution when it comes to the trends- objective not solely subjective- for either or both of them. Of course, as it now stands, that ain't no way that's happening for Jones. D.Jones, that is.

Cheers!

T200

First thing I noticed is that they lumped the passing and rushing yards together.

Second, I'd be curious in a poll of Jags and Giants fans. How many would want the other's QB?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Painter

Quote from: T200 on December 19, 2023, 02:12:15 PMSecond, I'd be curious in a poll of Jags and Giants fans. How many would want the other's QB?

We needn't bother, Tim.  :-??

Cheers!

files58

The eye test is all I need to know that Lawrence is quite the better QB.

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on December 19, 2023, 12:57:57 PMTrevor Lawrence's stats are generally brought down by an abysmal rookie campaign, which one will recall was the Urban Meyer year--you know, the one where the head coach was staying behind on trips after gameday to cavort with women (other than his wife) at bars. Since then, Lawrence's performance has generally trended upward. He's even top-10 in QBR this season. But he came in to the league talked about as a generational-level talent and I think its fair to say that he has not met those lofty expectations. However, he is productive and looks to be headed in the right direction. Not to mention he has started every game since day 1 of his career in the NFL. I'd gladly have him on the Giants.

To further the comparison (see quote in bold)

Jones was 6th in QBR in 2022
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

It's all take from their firs 46 starts and total yards.

When in reality to date Jones has 12,512 passing yards in 5 years to Lawrence's 11,279 passing yards in 2 2/3rds year.

It's not even comparable and honestly a joke. Jones has led the 30-32nd ranked offense basically his whole tenure with the Giants. While the Jaguars have averaged a top 10 passing offense with Lawrence.

DaveBrown74

I think it's a totally reasonable OP given the relative expectations around each QB on draft day. Lawrence had Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type buzz around him. The Giants got downright mocked into oblivion for making the Jones pick. They were total laughingstocks for that pick. The fact that each QB's first three years look similar is interesting.

For me personally, I find this to be more of a statement on Lawrence than on Jones, but fair enough for pointing out the statistical similarities for what I think we can agree is a statistical relevant sample size. One can draw his or her own conclusions about why these are so similar, but the numbers themselves are what they are.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 19, 2023, 02:31:45 PMTo further the comparison (see quote in bold)

Jones was 6th in QBR in 2022

That was Jones's fourth season. In his third pro season, Jones was 22nd in QBR (not to mention it was an injury-shortened campaign, a hallmark for Jones Lawrence doesn't possess). And in Jones's fifth season... well, we know how that has turned out. Certainly possible Lawrence has a similar fall, but we don't even have his 3rd season in the books yet.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Painter on December 19, 2023, 01:53:56 PMWith due respect, I think you are rationalizing rather than recognizing what may seem to be inconvenient. It is a simple and obvious fact that from his first day as the No.1 overall pick, Lawrence brought with him high expectation and "star power" none of which has ever been attached to Jones. It is for that reason that their 48-start statistical comparison seems to be such a surprise.

I don't necessarily disagree with your view of the future, but if you look at Jones and the Giants from last year and don't yoke him with all the blame for the team's complete reversal this season, it might suggest a caution when it comes to the trends- objective not solely subjective- for either or both of them. Of course, as it now stands, that ain't no way that's happening for Jones. D.Jones, that is.

Cheers!

Aggregate stats certainly paint a picture (excuse my pun), but can distort meaningful trends. Just for example, the overall record: Jones has had 1 winning campaign in 5 seasons, Lawrence is on pace to have 2 over-.500 seasons in his first opportunities (very likely given they play the Bucs, Panthers, and Titans). Again, Lawrence's abysmal rookie campaign is at play here. And to be clear, I'm not arguing Lawrence is a superstar, I even admit he's fallen short of lofty expectations--he might have even fallen short of more reasonable ones. But if the implication is that the two players are interchangeable because of raw counting stats (which also ignore Jones health issues), I'd disagree.

BluesCruz

Ill take Lawrence in a heartbeat

Lawrence stats skewed by 2 years on miserable jags teams

This is a no brainer.  Lawrence on the rise, Jones regressing badly
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"