News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones and Trevor Lawerence

Started by MightyGiants, December 19, 2023, 12:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on December 19, 2023, 03:32:03 PMAggregate stats certainly paint a picture (excuse my pun), but can distort meaningful trends. Just for example, the overall record: Jones has had 1 winning campaign in 5 seasons, Lawrence is on pace to have 2 over-.500 seasons in his first opportunities (very likely given they play the Bucs, Panthers, and Titans). Again, Lawrence's abysmal rookie campaign is at play here. And to be clear, I'm not arguing Lawrence is a superstar, I even admit he's fallen short of lofty expectations--he might have even fallen short of more reasonable ones. But if the implication is that the two players are interchangeable because of raw counting stats (which also ignore Jones health issues), I'd disagree.
Lawrence is also an Eli-like iron man. He even played a week after a high ankle sprain.

Ed Vette

How about the last 48 starts? Anyone?
Bueller?
Bueller??
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: Fletch on December 19, 2023, 01:11:43 PMWait so they played the same number of games despite Jones being drafted 2 years before?

Yea who would take Jones over Lawrence? Serious question.

No, Jones has started 60 games.

Though your point is well taken that in 2 full seasons more in the NFL Jones only has 12 more starts.  Someone once said something about availability....

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 19, 2023, 05:37:35 PMHow about the last 48 starts? Anyone?
Bueller?
Bueller??

No comparison. Obviously Lawrence is much better than Jones. It's just interesting the way their first 48 games look so similar. Try showing the pic in the OP to knowledgeable football friends of yours and see if they can guess who the two players are with no hints other than that they're both active players.

LennG

Lawrence, in his years with Jax has elevated their play to be a playoff contender each year. What has Jones elevated in his years here?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on December 19, 2023, 02:12:15 PMFirst thing I noticed is that they lumped the passing and rushing yards together.

Second, I'd be curious in a poll of Jags and Giants fans. How many would want the other's QB?

It sort of shows perception doesn't always match reality (as Larry @Painter alluded to)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 20, 2023, 08:43:28 AMIt sort of shows perception doesn't always match reality (as Larry @Painter alluded to)
Are you suggesting that if Jones and Lawrence were swapped, both teams would be the same as they are now?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on December 20, 2023, 08:47:05 AMAre you suggesting that if Jones and Lawrence were swapped, both teams would be the same as they are now?

From all the objective measures, the answer appears to be yes.  However, the reality is that we really can't say because such a move involves many different measures and factors. 

I think the point is that my objective measures the men's performances appear to be pretty much the same.  However, because one came into the league with much fanfare and support while Jones' drafting was met with derision and scorn, the perception of their performances have varied far more than the objective measures could justify.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 20, 2023, 08:53:12 AMFrom all the objective measures, the answer appears to be yes.  However, the reality is that we really can't say because such a move involves many different measures and factors. 

I think the point is that my objective measures the men's performances appear to be pretty much the same.  However, because one came into the league with much fanfare and support while Jones' drafting was met with derision and scorn, the perception of their performances have varied far more than the objective measures could justify.
I understand your point but I disagree that their records would be relatively the same.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

Lawrence's worst year, his rookie year production is the same a Jones best production. Couple that with back to back 4,000 yard seasons and a top 10 passing offense and it's not even close.

No one is taking Jones over Baker Mayfield, much less Trevor Lawrence.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: LennG on December 20, 2023, 08:35:21 AMWhat has Jones elevated in his years here?
His cap number.

The reality is comparing Jones to Lawrence makes no sense as others have explained in this thread. I would expect this sort of PR spin during the Gettleman years but thought we'd grown up and given up on fairy tales during the Schoen regime.

files58

Quote from: LennG on December 20, 2023, 08:35:21 AMLawrence, in his years with Jax has elevated their play to be a playoff contender each year. What has Jones elevated in his years here?

His leg after the operation/during rehab, and the fans' angst.

nb587

Not saying this is being done here but go back to last year when the Giants beat the Ravens in large part because Lamar Jackson had multiple brain farts and pretty much lost the game for the Ravens.  After the game, I remember reading here and elsewhere that fans liked Jones better than Jackson. 

A distinction between Lawrence and Jones and I acknowledge that it's not a fair one since we don't know the extent of injuries is the ability to play when hurt. I have no issues with Jones not playing when hurt because his injuries are not only football related but possibly life after football, his neck.  But, with regard to Lawrence's high ankle sprain, it reminded of early Eli when he suffered a similar injury and was supposed to be out for an extended period and never missed a game.  Lawrence seems to have the same kind of toughness that Eli had which might be a huge feather in his cap.

Jclayton92

Quote from: nb587 on December 20, 2023, 12:08:21 PMNot saying this is being done here but go back to last year when the Giants beat the Ravens in large part because Lamar Jackson had multiple brain farts and pretty much lost the game for the Ravens.  After the game, I remember reading here and elsewhere that fans liked Jones better than Jackson. 

A distinction between Lawrence and Jones and I acknowledge that it's not a fair one since we don't know the extent of injuries is the ability to play when hurt. I have no issues with Jones not playing when hurt because his injuries are not only football related but possibly life after football, his neck.  But, with regard to Lawrence's high ankle sprain, it reminded of early Eli when he suffered a similar injury and was supposed to be out for an extended period and never missed a game.  Lawrence seems to have the same kind of toughness that Eli had which might be a huge feather in his cap.
It wasn't just Jackson last year sadly. There were many here that said Jones was better than Lawrence, Goff, and every other Qb in the NFC East. I remember several ranking Jones above both Dak and Hurts which was wild at the time to me.

katkavage

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 20, 2023, 12:38:59 PMIt wasn't just Jackson last year sadly. There were many here that said Jones was better than Lawrence, Goff, and every other Qb in the NFC East. I remember several ranking Jones above both Dak and Hurts which was wild at the time to me.
Those opinions are formed through the skewed lens of fandom. Giant fans, of which I am one, cannot judge their heroes objectively and a good reason why you should take the opinions and assessments of anyone connected to the Giants (Eli, Banks, whoever) with a grain of salt. They live in the bubble. I'd much rather here an unbiased opinion or evaluation of a Giant player. We can only hope Schoen is clear-eyed in his analysis...and that the looming shadow of the owner doesn't sway his judgement.