News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones and Trevor Lawerence

Started by MightyGiants, December 19, 2023, 12:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Quote from: katkavage on December 20, 2023, 01:11:07 PMThose opinions are formed through the skewed lens of fandom. Giant fans, of which I am one, cannot judge their heroes objectively and a good reason why you should take the opinions and assessments of anyone connected to the Giants (Eli, Banks, whoever) with a grain of salt. They live in the bubble. I'd much rather here an unbiased opinion or evaluation of a Giant player. We can only hope Schoen is clear-eyed in his analysis...and that the looming shadow of the owner doesn't sway his judgement.

Well said.  Many fans only watch the games the Giants play (which is fine, not belittling that).  So they saw Lamar play a subpar game and the Giants become the first NFC team to beat him (still the only NFC team that has).  If you don't watch Lamar play much and you are a Giants fan it can be easy to dismiss him from that one game. 

I get that we fans will have tinted glasses, but I think some are more tinted than others.

Woody

Interesting facts ....and how some are now making excuses to support Lawerence being the QB of choice the way others have supported Jones  !
so that really does make them the same  ,Ha

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Woody on December 20, 2023, 03:22:20 PMInteresting facts ....and how some are now making excuses to support Lawerence being the QB of choice the way others have supported Jones  !
so that really does make them the same  ,Ha
At least you're acknowledging that Jones supporters make excuses for him. I'll give you that. That's progress.

Jclayton92

Just curious, say the bears draft caleb Williams, then put Fields on the block, and say they take a 3rd...

Would you trade a 3rd for Fields knowing he's cheap for 2 more years and at worst can bridge you until Jones contract is off the books, and at best you turn him into something phenomenal plus get to keep your 1st, and 2 2nd rd picks to continue the build. Would you do it?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 20, 2023, 08:00:10 PMJust curious, say the bears draft caleb Williams, then put Fields on the block, and say they take a 3rd...

Would you trade a 3rd for Fields knowing he's cheap for 2 more years and at worst can bridge you until Jones contract is off the books, and at best you turn him into something phenomenal plus get to keep your 1st, and 2 2nd rd picks to continue the build. Would you do it?

I definitely wouldn't if there were a way to get either Maye or Daniels.

Would I do it if getting either of them were not possible? I don't think I would, no. Fields would be entering the final year of his rookie contract, so he'd really only be truly cheap for one year (2024) and then would cost a lot more in 2025 on the 5th year option, which we'd have to fully commit to in the 2024 offseason.

I would do all that without hesitation if I thought Fields could be a franchise-changing QB, but I have seen no real evidence of that with him in Chicago. I appreciate that his circumstances have been far from optimal and that he is still quite young, but I feel like we have just been down this narrative path with Jones. I think Fields is likely a superior talent to Jones, but I am not convinced he is a long term answer. Of course I could be wrong about that, but I don't like the idea of finally getting Jones off the books and then being forcibly locked into Fields for another year after that on the 5th year option, which would likely be $20mm plus. I think I'd rather just keep looking.

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 20, 2023, 08:00:10 PMJust curious, say the bears draft caleb Williams, then put Fields on the block, and say they take a 3rd...

I floated the idea of trading for Fields a week or so ago.

There was zero interest here.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

Quote from: T200 on December 20, 2023, 09:36:30 PMI floated the idea of trading for Fields a week or so ago.

Ahh must have missed it, the reason I brought it up is because there seems to be two different NY Giants fan currently. One that wants a Young Qb to restart the franchise immediately and one that wants the oline repaired before doing anything. My bigger question was if the oline guys want more resources poured into the oline, then what is the expectation going forward at Qb? Is that oline first fan content with Jones/Devito for another year or two, or do they see an alternate means for obtaining our new franchise guy?

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 20, 2023, 10:22:54 PMAhh must have missed it, the reason I brought it up is because there seems to be two different NY Giants fan currently. One that wants a Young Qb to restart the franchise immediately and one that wants the oline repaired before doing anything. My bigger question was if the oline guys want more resources poured into the oline, then what is the expectation going forward at Qb? Is that oline first fan content with Jones/Devito for another year or two, or do they see an alternate means for obtaining our new franchise guy?
https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=68363.0#main_content_section

If we don't get a QB in the draft, it would have to be Jones and DeVito for next season since Jones's contract is a huge factor.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Fletch

Lawrence didn't really start hitting his stride  until the middle of his 2nd season. That seem like a normal learning curve and/or for things to finally click on a team that was a complete joke and won like one game the year before Lawrence showed up.

It is also kind of weird to compare a 5th season player to a not even 3 season player.

You know what I love about jones-lovers. There is no really good QBs just good circumstances and no other QBs are really that good.

Look at this way, if you are a Gaints fan and you could take a time machine back in time. Would you have drafted Jones at 6 and would you have extended him for 4 years / 160 million? I think the answer is xxxx NO!!!

But if you are a Jags fan and same exercise: Would you have taken Lawrence 1st and are you happy about the decision ? I think the answer is unequivocally yes.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Fletch on December 21, 2023, 09:25:01 PMLawrence didn't really start hitting his stride  until the middle of his 2nd season. That seem like a normal learning curve and/or for things to finally click on a team that was a complete joke and won like one game the year before Lawrence showed up.

It is also kind of weird to compare a 5th season player to a not even 3 season player.

You know what i love about jones-lovers. There is no really good QBs just good circumstances and no other QBs are really that good.

Look at this way, if you are a Gaints fan and you could take a time machine back in time. Would you have drafted Jones at 6 and would you have extended him for 4 years / 160 million. I think the answer is xxxx NO!!!

But if you are a Jags fan and same exercise. Would you have taken lawrence 1st and are you happy about the decision ? I think the answer is unequivocally yes.

Shhhhhh... These aggregated stats, completely devoid of context (hilariously posited alongside a thread titled "context matters"), are all you need to know that Jones and Lawrence are interchangeable players (despite that opinion being held by virtually no one of importance).

uconnjack8

I see Lawrence as somewhat disappointing.   It may be that my expectations were too high, but I thought within a couple of years he'd be in the conversation as a top 5 QB. 

The loss in week 18 was another example of making mistakes that couldn't be overcome. 

I saw him a number of times this year and thought his accuracy was below par in key situations (balls sailing over the head of open receivers in the endzone e.g.). 

I dont see him as a bust and think he is a top half of the league starter.  Just thought his entrance to the league would be more like Burrows or even Josh Allen.  Both of those guys were far better by year 3 IMO.  Still the book isn't written on him yet.

Gmo11

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 09, 2024, 09:52:48 AMI see Lawrence as somewhat disappointing.   It may be that my expectations were too high, but I thought within a couple of years he'd be in the conversation as a top 5 QB. 

The loss in week 18 was another example of making mistakes that couldn't be overcome. 

I saw him a number of times this year and thought his accuracy was below par in key situations (balls sailing over the head of open receivers in the endzone e.g.). 

I dont see him as a bust and think he is a top half of the league starter.  Just thought his entrance to the league would be more like Burrows or even Josh Allen.  Both of those guys were far better by year 3 IMO.  Still the book isn't written on him yet.

Lawrence missed a game and was banged up even when he came back.  I'm completely convinced he was playing hurt through the end of the season.  Having said that, he's definitely disappointed compared to his pre-draft hype of which I was very much a part of, but he's significantly better than Jones could ever dream of being. 

MightyGiants

Lawerence and Jones can both get a beer and watch the playoffs together. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

J: Unlikely but not impossible. Giants? Maybe, maybe not, but my point is... don't rule Bears taking a QB. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

coggs

Quote from: T200 on December 20, 2023, 09:36:30 PMI floated the idea of trading for Fields a week or so ago.

Which means it is probably a good idea to do so!

My co-worker and I had the same discussion.  Bears are the wild-card for those who want a QB.  If they take a QB and shop Fields, do you make the call?  If you are really down on Jones, why not?  Especially since at the very least there is no guarantee he is available week 1.  No, not interested in DeVito starting.  Are you going to find someone better than Fields at a cheaper price to fill-in? With Fields, you do have a REAL QB battle.  Some seem to think the Bears will take Harrison with the 1st pick and see what they can do for 2 years.  IF that is the case, just have to hope Atlanta doesn't trade up with Arizona or the Chargers to leap frog the Giants.