News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Realistic QB draft options

Started by MightyGiants, February 06, 2024, 08:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: gregf on February 06, 2024, 03:07:16 PMI was ok with over drafting Jones at 6. The Giants felt he was the guy.   It didn't work and I'd be hesitant to repeat.  We have missed out on too many blue chip players and I don't think we will bypass one at 6.
     I do feel confident that our GM can target a trade up in mid rounds to grab McCarthy if he falls into the sweet spot.
    I'm surprised nobody has tossed around Fields name yet.  Reading a second may put him in play. 
I started a thread on him at the end of the season. No one wanted to hop on the bandwagon with me.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

katkavage

Quote from: T200 on February 06, 2024, 03:32:43 PMI started a thread on him at the end of the season. No one wanted to hop on the bandwagon with me.
Fields will either be traded to one of the teams in need of a QB, more likely Raiders, Falcons, or Vikings. Unless Chicago keeps him, trades their first pick for a haul, and uses the many picks they would get to build a team around him this year and next.

gregf

My first choice would be to hope a top 3 qb falls.  The second choice would be to trade up in rd 1 for McCarthy.  Fields would be an interesting trade option for a second rd pick if first two choices don't work out

brownelvis54

Quote from: gregf on February 06, 2024, 05:13:38 PMMy first choice would be to hope a top 3 qb falls.  The second choice would be to trade up in rd 1 for McCarthy.  Fields would be an interesting trade option for a second rd pick if first two choices don't work out

Do you mean get the best player at 6 and then trade back into round 1? I think McCarthy will be there when we pick at 6
The KING is in the building

Gmo11

Quote from: T200 on February 06, 2024, 03:32:43 PMI started a thread on him at the end of the season. No one wanted to hop on the bandwagon with me.

If the Bears are ready to move on I would worry about fields being Daniel Jones in a different uniform and that we're so desperate to be rid of Jones even similarly mediocre play would seem like an upgrade. That would be my main concern.

But if the guys in charge see fields as an upgrade and this assumes of course they can't get one of the big 3 QBs then I'll have to trust their judgement.

I am pretty sure I would rather have fields for a 2nd round pick than QB4 at pick number 6.

Jclayton92

The more you start to hear scouts and analysts talk on podcasts and articles about the qb class, the more you hear them raving about Mccarthy. I think he goes significantly higher than many expect and could easily step in as Qb 3 pushing someone else down.

Also ignore the 2025 talk, the Qb class is absolutely horrible outside Sanders who would likely go at the end of the 1st in this class. The rest of the Qbs in 2025 have serious problems, and unless they come out and have a Burrow esq season then I wouldn't count on 2025 saving the Giants. It's why everyone talked about the 2024 class for almost 2 years and the importance of being in range this year.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 06, 2024, 08:11:00 PMThe more you start to hear scouts and analysts talk on podcasts and articles about the qb class, the more you hear them raving about Mccarthy. I think he goes significantly higher than many expect and could easily step in as Qb 3 pushing someone else down.

Also ignore the 2025 talk, the Qb class is absolutely horrible outside Sanders who would likely go at the end of the 1st in this class. The rest of the Qbs in 2025 have serious problems, and unless they come out and have a Burrow esq season then I wouldn't count on 2025 saving the Giants. It's why everyone talked about the 2024 class for almost 2 years and the importance of being in range this year.

Who do you think is most likely to get displaced?

T200

Quote from: katkavage on February 06, 2024, 04:24:26 PMFields will either be traded to one of the teams in need of a QB, more likely Raiders, Falcons, or Vikings. Unless Chicago keeps him, trades their first pick for a haul, and uses the many picks they would get to build a team around him this year and next.
We are one of those teams.

T200

Quote from: Gmo11 on February 06, 2024, 08:04:54 PMIf the Bears are ready to move on I would worry about fields being Daniel Jones in a different uniform and that we're so desperate to be rid of Jones even similarly mediocre play would seem like an upgrade. That would be my main concern.

But if the guys in charge see fields as an upgrade and this assumes of course they can't get one of the big 3 QBs then I'll have to trust their judgement.

I am pretty sure I would rather have fields for a 2nd round pick than QB4 at pick number 6.
Jones is damaged and shell-shocked. Even if he went to another team with an all-pro line, he'd have PTSD.

I think Daboll could work with Fields.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on February 06, 2024, 08:04:54 PMIf the Bears are ready to move on I would worry about fields being Daniel Jones in a different uniform and that we're so desperate to be rid of Jones even similarly mediocre play would seem like an upgrade. That would be my main concern.

Fields, Jones, and many other NFL QBs.  The challenge is there are only (by definition) a handful of elite QBs.  Signing a non-elite QB to an expensive NFL veteran contract will handicap a team.   If the Giants were to acquire Fields that would be the problem they will be taking on (again).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on February 06, 2024, 01:34:13 PMMcCarthy is not going to last till the second round. He's a winner and he's got the arm talent of a first rounder.

This silly trope being pushed by fans and mocketeers that he's nothing more than a game manager is annoying. When they were in their drafts no one was claiming that Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees were transcendent talents who could single handedly put a team on his back and will it to wins. Every one of those guys had more questions about them than McCarthy does right now.

Perfectly summed up.  Madbadger's list of QBs were not studs in college and especially physically.  They possessed an innate sense of playing QB however they did not display it in college with gaudy stats and "can't miss" labels.  The part of matching up their mental acuity with an offensive scheme and letting their good but not necessarily great physical skills do the job became the responsibility of the coach.  The rest is history.

JJ McCarthy has the mental processing skills of an elite NFL QB.  He trusts his arm.  One thing a coach may need to do is "throttle down" some of his enthusiasm without rattling his confidence, but he has got the "it" factor to play QB.  You will see JJ try to win a game confidently.  If he fails, he won't go crying to mom.  He'll stand there and tell his teammates he let them and next time he will win it.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on February 07, 2024, 09:28:39 AMPerfectly summed up.  Madbadger's list of QBs were not studs in college and especially physically.  They possessed an innate sense of playing QB however they did not display it in college with gaudy stats and "can't miss" labels.  The part of matching up their mental acuity with an offensive scheme and letting their good but not necessarily great physical skills do the job became the responsibility of the coach.  The rest is history.

JJ McCarthy has the mental processing skills of an elite NFL QB.  He trusts his arm.  One thing a coach may need to do is "throttle down" some of his enthusiasm without rattling his confidence, but he has got the "it" factor to play QB.  You will see JJ try to win a game confidently.  If he fails, he won't go crying to mom.  He'll stand there and tell his teammates he let them and next time he will win it.
I agree up until the crying to mom stuff. You got to let that go. Williams will be the first player picked and if the Giants had a chance at him would grab him in a NJ minute.

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on February 07, 2024, 09:44:29 AMI agree up until the crying to mom stuff. You got to let that go. Williams will be the first player picked and if the Giants had a chance at him would grab him in a NJ minute.

I am not down on Williams for that.  I do not think what Williams did was any form of weakness.  My point was that JJ won't do that.  Just a different kind of personality.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on February 07, 2024, 09:28:39 AMPerfectly summed up.  Madbadger's list of QBs were not studs in college and especially physically.  They possessed an innate sense of playing QB however they did not display it in college with gaudy stats and "can't miss" labels.  The part of matching up their mental acuity with an offensive scheme and letting their good but not necessarily great physical skills do the job became the responsibility of the coach.  The rest is history.

I have the thread with all I could find on McCarthy.  I am hoping the Giants draft McCarthy at six because I think he solves the QB problem for the next decade and leaves enough draft capital to fix the O-line and avoid creating holes in the roster.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 06, 2024, 09:15:27 PMWho do you think is most likely to get displaced?
Any Of the 3 really they all have questions.

Caleb Williams- has the mental question marks

Drake Maye- has a serious Sam Howell problem that no one is talking about. Plus he loses to absolutely horrible teams that he should never lose to.

Jayden Daniels spent 5 years in college and it took all 5 years and 3 elite wrs for him to finally put together a great year and he still lost.

Just saying that all of those guys have a ton of questions that no one is really talking about and Mccarthy at 21 has the most room to grow, and may actually have the least amount of questions, and he just wins at an absurd level.

I know people will say well its Michigan but you can ask @Philosophers Michigan has had teams under Harbaugh that couldn't win late in the season because they didn't have that guy, Shea Patterson wasn't it, and whoever else. It took Mccarthy for that team to get over the hump.