News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Mara Letter Responding to a Fan Letter

Started by Ed Vette, February 14, 2024, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

Bottom Line: Daboll and Schoen have to look ahead. Jones is hardly a player to count on saving your tenure. I'm fairly confident that they are well aware of that.

How they do it is key and TBD.

jimc

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 15, 2024, 09:39:47 AMI will say this... After 5 seasons, Daniel Jones has not demonstrated that he can be anything other than an average QB in even the most ideal situations. He had one quarter of good performance against the Hapless Cards last season to come back and win the game after trailing for most of the game. If he had stayed healthy, most likely the Giants would be picking second in the Draft. His injury once again gives him a stay of execution. Mr.Checkdown who crumbles under pressure has the ability to perform well in an optimal environment but when the big moments come, it proves too big for him. No vision, no anticipation, and takes off running instead of moving outside the pocket to extend plays because he can't effectively throw on the run.

Tyrod Taylor outplayed him with the same Offensive Line issues. Tommy DeVito won games based on pure enthusiasm and not being a sad sack.

Looking at the career of Matt Stafford, he played a long time for a lousy organization and some pretty bad teams, but it was obvious that he was a good QB and when he went to a better team he had one great season that matched the 41 TD's and almost 5000 yards he had with the Lions. He's had his injury issues too but his worst healthy season was the only one with under 4000 yards and only 21 TD's.

The time for excuses and justifications is over. He is what he is. Mara is in love with the character of the man and how he represents the NY Giants. That is totally justified. 

When did that ever occur??
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

MightyGiants

Quote from: spiderblue43 on February 15, 2024, 12:57:50 PMBottom Line: Daboll and Schoen have to look ahead. Jones is hardly a player to count on saving your tenure. I'm fairly confident that they are well aware of that.

How they do it is key and TBD.

Thanks to those meaningless wins, Schoen and Daboll find themselves in a very bad situation.   If a quality QB falls to them at 6, I think they grab him and don't look back.  If a quality QB doesn't fall, I think they are in a no-win situation.   They could TRY (if that's even an option) to trade up, but it would cost so many assets that it would leave them so devoid of talent that it would be a long shot they could properly develop a rookie QB.  The other option would be to ride with Daniel Jones and cross your fingers that he can stay healthy (focusing on developing an NFL-caliber O-line might help those odds).   

Next year's QB class will be like the one that produced Kenny Pickett as the only first-rounder, so getting a QB next year seems unlikely.   I guess they could look at a free-agent reclamation project, but the Giants don't have the sort of talent levels it takes for that type of move to work.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 15, 2024, 01:12:55 PMThanks to those meaningless wins, Schoen and Daboll find themselves in a very bad situation.   If a quality QB falls to them at 6, I think they grab him and don't look back.  If a quality QB doesn't fall, I think they are in a no-win situation.   They could TRY (if that's even an option) to trade up, but it would cost so many assets that it would leave them so devoid of talent that it would be a long shot they could properly develop a rookie QB.  The other option would be to ride with Daniel Jones and cross your fingers that he can stay healthy (focusing on developing an NFL-caliber O-line might help those odds).   

Next year's QB class will be like the one that produced Kenny Pickett as the only first-rounder, so getting a QB next year seems unlikely.   I guess they could look at a free-agent reclamation project, but the Giants don't have the sort of talent levels it takes for that type of move to work.

For them to trade up and give up all those draft assets over a three year period, they would have to really have a sense of urgency to do it. Unless it's just one slot up.

I don't see the need. Out of the six QBs who look like eventual starters, at least three should be available. If they pass on six, then they see Jones as the best option.

Unfortunately, being injured, he is unable to work on his issues and work with his Receivers until he's cleared to practice. His gitty up days are over at least for the foreseeable future so he's got to read the progressions better and identify and pull the trigger on a timely basis while managing the pocket to avoid pressure. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

StompYouOT

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 15, 2024, 09:59:28 AMJones and Tyrod did not face the same offensive line issues

Jones was pressured 52% of the time, and the pressure got there (on average) in just 2.31 seconds

Taylor was pressured 36% of the time, with the pressure taking 2.58 seconds to get there.

Those are not the same conditions.

Edit to add-   Devito faced pressure 32% of the time taking 2.9 seconds to develop

Because Tyrod actually got rid of the ball faster. Jones is at least partially at fault for the sacks. He is not it..never was. We would be picking higher had he stayed healthy but as someone else mentioned he gets a Stay of execution because of injury.

One more year of this...

MightyGiants

Quote from: StompYouOT on February 15, 2024, 02:24:22 PMBecause Tyrod actually got rid of the ball faster. Jones is at least partially at fault for the sacks. He is not it..never was. We would be picking higher had he stayed healthy but as someone else mentioned he gets a Stay of execution because of injury.

One more year of this...

A couple of thoughts:

1)  Time to pressure is pretty much independent of QB

2)  The time each QB (TT and DJ) held the ball was essentially identical, with time to throw for DJ being 2.85 and TT being 2.83

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 15, 2024, 11:50:34 AMJones produced in both his rookie season and 2022.  If DJ hadn't produced in 2022 the Giants would have made it to the divisional round of the playoffs
Rich he produced the same amount as Davis Mills in 2022. The offense in 2022 was built around the run game and the Defense. The 150 yards Jones had a game was not the deciding factor in our success. Some games he went entire quartets with throwing the ball.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 15, 2024, 03:22:07 PMRich he produced the same amount as Davis Mills in 2022. The offense in 2022 was built around the run game and the Defense. The 150 yards Jones had a game was not the deciding factor in our success. Some games he went entire quartets with throwing the ball.

Those sorts of comparisons are misleading.   We are all talking about how deficient this team is in terms of talent.   It's not like there was some great talent drain last offseason.  Jones led a team that was deficient in talent to a playoff victory before losing to the NFC champs.  It's hard to claim that 2022 wasn't a good season for Jones.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 15, 2024, 03:24:13 PMThose sorts of comparisons are misleading.   We are all talking about how deficient this team is in terms of talent.   It's not like there was some great talent drain last offseason.  Jones led a team that was deficient in talent to a playoff victory before losing to the NFC champs.  It's hard to claim that 2022 wasn't a good season for Jones.
Who did Davis Mills have?

Jones had only 5 games in the 2022 regular season were he threw over 200 yards, the rest of the games he averaged 160 yards. The only thing he led us to was a bottom 3rd passing offense in every season as our quarterback.

Great qbs either win regardless of their circumstances or at least show flashes of elite play under bad circumstances and through 5 seasons there is absolutely no doubt that Jones is neither an elite or even a great Qb. So why stick with him if he's simply a game manager, we can get one of those for 5 million. That's before you even bring the injury history into it.

katkavage

We all know Schoen is in a very tough situation. But he is young and will, he hopes, have a long career ahead of him in the NFL. I feel it is a much bigger risk to his career if he passes on one of the top five QBs in his draft and stays the course with Jones, or just adds a backup veteran as insurance. If Jones doesn't pan out (and after five years of mediocrity the odds are he won't) and one or more of the ballyhooed QBs in the draft are very successful, Schoen will be forever tarnished for not making a move to get one of them. Much more than if he takes one and that QB doesn't pan out (which happens frequently). In my opinion, he really has no choice but to draft a QB in this draft, and I'm not talking mid to late rounds. But then there is the shadow of Mara over his shoulder. This will also be a test of his independence.