News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is this a fair assessment of Schoen's performance to date?

Started by MightyGiants, March 11, 2024, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

I'd rather have the Campbell signing and Shepard Re-signing than Glow on there.

MightyGiants

Letting Barkley walk away for nothing rather than trading him last season, is now confirmed
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 11, 2024, 02:56:19 PMLetting Barkley walk away for nothing rather than trading him last season, is now confirmed

They were never going to trade him last year. After the rare PO-making/ game winning season in 2022, it was simply a case of who got paid and who got tagged, and who got that all wrong, and why?

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Add letting McKinney walk away for nothing to the list of negatives
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

No problem letting Barkley walk for nothing.  Not paying RB's.  They are a dime a dozen.

MightyGiants

Quote from: coggs on March 11, 2024, 07:34:25 PMNo problem letting Barkley walk for nothing.  Not paying RB's.  They are a dime a dozen.

He could have gotten draft capital (and set the team up to grab an elite QB prospect by being in the top 3 draft spots by trading Barkley and McKinney last season when they were out of the playoffs.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 11, 2024, 07:53:40 PMHe could have gotten draft capital (and set the team up to grab an elite QB prospect by being in the top 3 draft spots by trading Barkley and McKinney last season when they were out of the playoffs.
Yeah, would have been nice to have an elite QB prospect.  Those have worked out so well the last 5-6 years.  Guys like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Wilson, Lance, Jones, Murray.  Burrow and Lawrence are not enough to change my mind on these elite QB Prospects.  What it tells me is these teams no longer know how to ascertain how these college QBs will translate to the pros.  Even if I give you Murray as he did look promising his first few years.   Besides, Barkley did nothing against New England.  Not as if he had huge games against Washington and Green Bay. They could have won those games without him.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 11, 2024, 07:53:40 PMHe could have gotten draft capital (and set the team up to grab an elite QB prospect by being in the top 3 draft spots by trading Barkley and McKinney last season when they were out of the playoffs.

Who was in the market for Barkley and what was their offer?
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

files58

Incomplete. He inherited dreck with limited $ resources to begin an immediate, slow turnaround. Surprise, they made the playoffs, and won a game. Everyone has to know that Schoen/Daboll had their own objective scouting reports on Jones when leaving Duke, and all the tape you need afterwards. I would like to know what they really thought, and think. Mara steps up and throws a cup of salt in the soup, not a tablespoon. I'll say it again the 2yr out is a compromise. We don't know what happens in the executive suite, but it wouldn't surprise me if now Mara has agreed to back away, and let Schoen do his thing. I can only hope. Barkley is gone, Jones will be next unless he morphs into a real QB. So now to today. Before this afternoon Schoen was being led out to the town square by some here. After lunch things seem to change. Schoen signed two guards who have to be better than what was here, acquired a pass rusher considered to be elite, and a familiar RB to be part of a committee in DABOLL'S offense. He made an attempt to fortify both sides of the LOS. That's how you win in the NFL, at the LOS. It was a good day. Let's let Schoen do his thing.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: files58 on March 11, 2024, 10:39:17 PMIncomplete. He inherited dreck with limited $ resources to begin an immediate, slow turnaround. Surprise, they made the playoffs, and won a game. Everyone has to know that Schoen/Daboll had their own objective scouting reports on Jones when leaving Duke, and all the tape you need afterwards. I would like to know what they really thought, and think. Mara steps up and throws a cup of salt in the soup, not a tablespoon. I'll say it again the 2yr out is a compromise. We don't know what happens in the executive suite, but it wouldn't surprise me if now Mara has agreed to back away, and let Schoen do his thing. I can only hope. Barkley is gone, Jones will be next unless he morphs into a real QB. So now to today. Before this afternoon Schoen was being led out to the town square by some here. After lunch things seem to change. Schoen signed two guards who have to be better than what was here, acquired a pass rusher considered to be elite, and a familiar RB to be part of a committee in DABOLL'S offense. He made an attempt to fortify both sides of the LOS. That's how you win in the NFL, at the LOS. It was a good day. Let's let Schoen do his thing.

them making the playoffs had nothing to do with schoen, it was all daboll. That's why he won coach of year.

And after a year where they made the playoffs, how did Schoen respond? Making the aboslute worst possible decision in every way since. Even disregarding the Jones contract, every signle draft pick and acquisition Schoen has made has been a total failure besides Kayvon.

The most egregious error was not selling Xavier and Saquon at the deadline. Inexcusable.

While I like the Burns move in theory, if he doesnt' pan out Schoen will offically be worse than Gettleman as the worst GM in Giants history. Big risk.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

TDToomer

Why is everyone so hung up on "letting him walk for nothing". The entire free agency so far has about 100+ guys who walked away from their current team for nothing. Why is it a tragedy for us but not 31 other teams? The NFL trade deadline is not like other leagues with a crazy frenzy of players moving. You can't expect every pending FA to be moved. Plus unlike other sports you can franchise one of your free agents.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

JT39

Schoen's legacy is going to come down who the next QB is. If he hits on one in this draft, it will go a long way for the future of this franchise.