News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Drake Maye

Started by Rosehill Jimmy, April 08, 2024, 02:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosehill Jimmy

https://x.com/jasrifootball/status/1777142731627708704?s=61&t=meiiQwOnGSoMsm66TJh5kQ

I'm guessing Hoge doesn't think much of the Carolina QB

JPAFootball
@jasrifootball
𝗧𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚: Former #NFL fullback Merril Hoge says that Drake Maye will cost the job of whoever drafts him, via athlonsports.

"Drake Maye is the kind of player that will get you fired. Especially if you draft him in the top five or top three, he's going to get you fired. His last game was probably the most embarrassing display I've seen from a guy who is supposed to be an elite franchise quarterback. He's erratic. He's everywhere."
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

londonblue

Every year QBs get talked up and talked down by talking heads in the run up to the draft. There is very little correlation between the consensus of commentary pre-draft and subsequent success or failure in the NFL. As a fullback Hoge spent much of his career with his face facing the ass of the QB. Let us leave it there.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Ed Vette

Thank you Mr. 3.8 YPC and one TD every 3 games. It's too bad this provocative analysis didn't come out weeks ago. It would have saved everyone a lot of time and trouble. If anyone he should know best how to evaluate a JAG...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Quote from: londonblue on April 08, 2024, 02:40:01 PMEvery year QBs get talked up and talked down by talking heads in the run up to the draft. There is very little correlation between the consensus of commentary pre-draft and subsequent success or failure in the NFL. As a fullback Hoge spent much of his career with his ass facing the QB. Let us leave it there.

I think you meant facing the quarterbacks ass as the fullback lines up behind the quarterback. Further than that who cares? If the standard for having an opinion on a quarterback is to have been a quarterback in the NFL none of the current GM's wouldn't qualify neither would 90% of the current head coaches including Andy Reid. Hodge isn't alone in thinking Maye has bust written all over him. There is a former NFL quarterback who has done a break down of Maye on YouTube who pointed out serious flaws in his game that might make it difficult for him to have success.

madbadger

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 08, 2024, 02:42:00 PMThank you Mr. 3.8 YPC and one TD every 3 games. It's too bad this provocative analysis didn't come out weeks ago. It would have saved everyone a lot of time and trouble. If anyone he should know best how to evaluate a JAG...

Come on Ed you should be better than that. He was a long time player in the NFL, which puts him in the top half of less than one percent of all people to ever play the game. Only in the American sports scene can someone look at someone that accomplished in his field and imply that he's a bum.

londonblue

I did Mad but you got the point!
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

PSUBeirut

I dunno this would make me a bit nervous...  I'm guessing Hoge gets more play now because of how well he called Manziel being a bust:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXaEmS8zaQ .  He was also right on CJ Stroud last year:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLrHCw6RjcM

Ed Vette

Quote from: madbadger on April 08, 2024, 02:55:20 PMCome on Ed you should be better than that. He was a long time player in the NFL, which puts him in the top half of less than one percent of all people to ever play the game. Only in the American sports scene can someone look at someone that accomplished in his field and imply that he's a bum.
Call him what you want but he evaluated Maye based on one game. I know what I call that.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 08, 2024, 03:21:01 PMCall him what you want but he evaluated Maye based on one game. I know what I call that.

Hoge compared Maye to Titans quarterback Malik Willis, who was a third-round pick in 2022 and is behind Will Levis on Tennessee's depth chart.

"Willis might be the only guy that I can think of that is as erratic as Maye," said Hoge, who was an ESPN analyst from 1996-2017 after the running back played eight seasons for the Steelers and Bears.

"I studied him for two years. I watched every one of his games last year. His last game against [North Carolina State] was probably the most embarrassing display I've seen from a guy who is supposed to be an elite franchise quarterback. He's erratic. He's everywhere."

https://nypost.com/2024/04/08/sports/taking-drake-maye-in-nfl-draft-will-get-you-fired-merril-hoge/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I have heard some compelling arguments against Drake Maye from quality analysts.

I believe it was one of the Simms that said something to the effect of-  you need to make the layup throws, and then you add a few special throws a game.

There are some who feel Maye misses too many easy throws.

Greg Cosell was concerned about Maye's habit of drifting in the pocket, which makes it harder for the guys blocking for him.

Finally, Matt Waldman feels that there are issues with his processing where he passes on the easy throws, looking for the hard throws, and if the hard throw isn't there, it's too late to go back to the easy one.  Matt thinks Maye needs to sit for a year and has him ranked as his 6th Qb

Much like JJ (especially earlier in the process), Maye seems like a polarizing prospect.

This QB draft class, while highly touted, doesn't seem all that clean.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rosehill Jimmy

https://www.giants.com/podcasts/giantshuddle

Here's Kurt Warner's take on the QBs and what he looks for when evaluating them.  While not as " provocative" as the Hoge quote, he too seems leery of Maye.  Though he doesn't come right out with one, I'm guessing his ranking would be Williams,Daniels,Penix, Nix, McCarthy, Maye
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Ed Vette

I have issue when someone comes out with a provocative and damaging statement about a kid who's worked hard to get to where he's gotten to today, on the weeks prior to the NFL draft. It's not play by play analysis or a discussion about pros and cons. It's basically calling the kid garbage, saying he's going to get some GM fired if he's drafted in the first round. Sensationalism to get a following.

It's not coming from some knuckleheads on a Bulletin Board fan site or some wanna be podcaster in his parent's basement. A former player who has some whiff of credibility.

I respect a balanced review from a former QB like Warner or Simms. They also understand the road that kid traveled and what lies ahead for him.

We all know the attributes and shortcomings of Drake Maye and Calib Williams, ad nauseam. We know it about all these QB's. What nobody knows is when they will be drafted and where they will go, what type of support and development they will receive and the effort and intestinal fortitude they will put forth. Their resiliency, leadership and face of the franchise they show to the fans, their teammates and coaches in good times and tough times.

Give these young men the respect they deserve. If you can't do that, then you don't deserve any respect as an analyst or journalist.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

It's not the first time we've seen Hodge take a strongly negative view on a hyped up QB prospect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXaEmS8zaQ

DaveBrown74

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 08, 2024, 08:41:20 PMIt's not the first time we've seen Hodge take a strongly negative view on a hyped up QB prospect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXaEmS8zaQ

In particular, listen to what he is asked from 2:24 and listen to his answer. Very similar. Basically says anyone who takes Manziel is going to get fired within two years.

That was true, and that GM has never had an NFL GM job again 10 years after that pick.