News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What OC Kafka looks for in a QB

Started by MightyGiants, April 15, 2024, 01:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 15, 2024, 01:30:09 PMhttps://x.com/Dan_Salomone/status/1779901643095478550
Rich,

You and I had conversations in the past about the "it" factor. If I remember correctly, your position was that it was difficult to identify it or quantify it.

What's your thoughts on our OC saying that he wants that in his QB.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on April 15, 2024, 01:35:54 PMRich,

You and I had conversations in the past about the "it" factor. If I remember correctly, your position was that it was difficult to identify it or quantify it.

What's your thoughts on our OC saying that he wants that in his QB.

Tim,

I have zero problems since he defined what he meant by the "It" factor
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 15, 2024, 01:37:12 PMTim,

I have zero problems since he defined what he meant by the "It" factor
Oh OK. I read it differently than you did. At any rate, sounds like Kafka is all-aboard on the Daboll train.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on April 15, 2024, 01:40:17 PMOh OK. I read it differently than you did. At any rate, sounds like Kafka is all-aboard on the Daboll train.

It does sound that way, but honestly, did we expect anything different?   I can't imagine Kafka is happy with the possibility of losing play-calling.  Although the new title (and likely raise) no doubt took some of the sting out of that.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Can you honestly say that any Qb on our roster currently has the "IT" factor, if so where has it been?

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 15, 2024, 03:02:04 PMCan you honestly say that any Qb on our roster currently has the "IT" factor, if so where has it been?

Nope.  I think players really admire DJ and his work ethic but that is very different than a guy who has IT who gets people to rally behind him.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 15, 2024, 03:02:04 PMCan you honestly say that any Qb on our roster currently has the "IT" factor, if so where has it been?

Kafka says his current QBs have the it factor.  I have no reason to doubt him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 15, 2024, 05:32:59 PMKafka says his current QBs have the it factor.  I have no reason to doubt him.

What team's name is currently on his paycheck? Do you actually believe there is even a very small chance he'd say otherwise?

Ed Vette

The It Factor is his most important?

First of all any QB who sits on the bench sulking, doesn't have an all inclusive It Factor. Second, there's more to the It Factor than he laid out. And if you ask me to name them you should be posting on Giants.com
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

What is an example of a QB who wasn't very good overall but had bona fide it factor?

Or, is there a QB that comes to mind who put up very good numbers and won a lot of games (regular and postseason) but lacked it factor?

I've always thought it's just something people like to say about good QBs but can't really define, because it doesn't really have a clear meaning beyond that.

Coming out of college I remember Zach Wilson being called a QB with tons of "it factor." Once it became clear that he sucked, that label disappeared. I heard it over and over about Bryce Young too. Just one year later, not so much.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 15, 2024, 05:38:35 PMWhat team's name is currently on his paycheck? Do you actually believe there is even a very small chance he'd say otherwise?

He wasn't asked about his current QBs.   That was an unsolicited comment. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

Giants QBS...more ##it factor than it factor
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

MightyGiants

Q. I'm curious, what do you look for? What's important for you when you do go through that quarterback process? I know a lot of people need to see them throw the -- some coaches say I need to hear them throw. When you go through that what's important to you?

MIKE KAFKA: There is a lot of things that are important to me in a quarterback. You know, leadership, just that ability to kind of control a room, control a huddle. That kind of "it" factor. You look for that. The more you talk to them the more you get comfortable with them.

A lot of times it's -- the first time you meet somebody it's like maybe one of the other parties may not be as comfortable, so you try to have these exposures with guys so you can really understand how they tick.

You want to understand what fires them up and what things maybe give them issues so you have a plan as a coach to build a guy up and how you can kind of prevent maybe some weak spots. If they have a weakness and I have a strength, I can cover up his weakness with my strength and vice versa.

You try to find that "it" factor with a guy you want to be around that you know is going to make the other guys better around him. Whether it's the quarterback room or another position, some guys just have that. I know we have that already in our quarterback room with Daniel, with Drew, with Tommy. Those are guys that command and do a hell of a job in the huddle and command the leadership of the team.

Those are guys you want to be around.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 16, 2024, 11:35:20 AMQ. I'm curious, what do you look for? What's important for you when you do go through that quarterback process? I know a lot of people need to see them throw the -- some coaches say I need to hear them throw. When you go through that what's important to you?

MIKE KAFKA: There is a lot of things that are important to me in a quarterback. You know, leadership, just that ability to kind of control a room, control a huddle. That kind of "it" factor. You look for that. The more you talk to them the more you get comfortable with them.

A lot of times it's -- the first time you meet somebody it's like maybe one of the other parties may not be as comfortable, so you try to have these exposures with guys so you can really understand how they tick.

You want to understand what fires them up and what things maybe give them issues so you have a plan as a coach to build a guy up and how you can kind of prevent maybe some weak spots. If they have a weakness and I have a strength, I can cover up his weakness with my strength and vice versa.

You try to find that "it" factor with a guy you want to be around that you know is going to make the other guys better around him. Whether it's the quarterback room or another position, some guys just have that. I know we have that already in our quarterback room with Daniel, with Drew, with Tommy. Those are guys that command and do a hell of a job in the huddle and command the leadership of the team.

Those are guys you want to be around.
I don't know about Lock but I think DeVito has more of a charismatic quality about him than Jones. I know Jones is well liked in the locker room. I can see DeVito being more liked. If only he had the on-field talent to go with it.