News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Let's Try Movie Quotes Again...

Started by jimv, May 08, 2020, 07:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONKA56

Quote from: jimv on July 10, 2020, 06:48:20 PM

No, Justin; the original movie was named "The Thing" when it first came out.  I've got a copy of it to prove that.  The additional wordage wasn't added until after the new one.

Well there

LennG

Quote from: jimv on July 10, 2020, 06:48:20 PM

No, Justin; the original movie was named "The Thing" when it first came out.  I've got a copy of it to prove that.  The additional wordage wasn't added until after the new one.

I'm sorry Jim, but when the Thing (1951) came out it WAS 'The Thing From Another World'. That WAS the original title and the original movie poster from it, has it right there. The part 'From Another World' was in smaller letters so some didn't notice it. It did go by just 'The Thing', but that wasn't the correct full title. When Carpenter's version came out, which was just 'The Thing' the original started using the full title so as to not confuse people.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Redfaced Redfaced Redfaced  I guess back then I didn't pay any attention to the sub-title.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

jimv

OK, guys, you got the best of me on that one!  But, I'm yet to see any stabs on the last few quotes I put up.

This is not a quote but instead I'm asking an obscure trivia question.  If anyone but Lenny gets it, I'll be really impressed.

Name two movies whose re-makes were scene-by-scene recreations of the originals.  One of them even used the music track of the original.

LennG

Quote from: jimv on July 11, 2020, 10:41:46 PM
OK, guys, you got the best of me on that one!  But, I'm yet to see any stabs on the last few quotes I put up.

This is not a quote but instead I'm asking an obscure trivia question.  If anyone but Lenny gets it, I'll be really impressed.

Name two movies whose re-makes were scene-by-scene recreations of the originals.  One of them even used the music track of the original.

I know one right off the bat.

The other, I used to know but will have to think on it

#1 Pyscho
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

philo43

Quote from: jimv on July 11, 2020, 10:41:46 PM

Darkest Hour - the best lines from the movie to me was this

"King George VI : How do you manage drinking during the day?

Winston Churchill : Practice."

Little known fact - Churchill had a glass of scotch with his breakfast almost every day of his adult life - usually 3-4 more glasses by lunch time.

LennG

Quote from: philo43 on July 12, 2020, 12:32:15 PM
Darkest Hour - the best lines from the movie to me was this

"King George VI : How do you manage drinking during the day?

Winston Churchill : Practice."

Little known fact - Churchill had a glass of scotch with his breakfast almost every day of his adult life - usually 3-4 more glasses by lunch time.

I know there was a previous version of The Darkest Hour, and I loved this latest version, but was the latest version a complete and exact duplicate of the original? I'm not remembering it that way, but it might be. I'm just curious.

Charlie Weiss

philo43

"But, I'm yet to see any stabs on the last few quotes I put up."

Sorry should have been more clear - I was referring to the 2 quotes he had posted earlier.  Was not saying saying that Darkest Hour was the other remake

LennG

Quote from: philo43 on July 12, 2020, 01:21:41 PM
"But, I'm yet to see any stabs on the last few quotes I put up."

Sorry should have been more clear - I was referring to the 2 quotes he had posted earlier.  Was not saying saying that Darkest Hour was the other remake

Sorry, silly me.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

OK, to clear things up, my last two quotes were from "The Darkest Hour."  I remember no earlier film by that name.  And, yes, philo, the film clearly shows his taste for Scotch.

Lenny, I made NO quotes from Psycho."

Any stabs at my trivia question?

jimv

Last night I dreamt a deadly dream...
Beyond the Isle of Skye...
I saw a dead man win a fight...
And I think that man was I.

LennG

Quote from: jimv on July 12, 2020, 04:39:17 PM
OK, to clear things up, my last two quotes were from "The Darkest Hour."  I remember no earlier film by that name.  And, yes, philo, the film clearly shows his taste for Scotch.

Lenny, I made NO quotes from Psycho."

Any stabs at my trivia question?

Jim

You asked a plain question about two movies that were word for word duplicates and I answered Psycho as one of them.

Why the confusion?

the remake of Psycho was an exact copy of the original, word for word, just nearly not as good. I believe it was with Anne Hecht.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: LennG on July 03, 2020, 07:44:14 PM
A few for the 4th of July

" Y'know, this was supposed to be my weekend off, but noooo. You got me out here draggin' your heavy ass through the burnin' desert with your dreadlocks stickin' out the back of my parachute. You gotta come down here with an attitude, actin' all big and bad... "

"It seems it always happens. Whenever we get too high-hat and too sophisticated for flag-waving, some thug nation decides we're a push-over all ready to be blackjacked. And it isn't long before we're looking up, mighty anxiously, to be sure the flag's still waving over us. "

" They burned the flag and they demonstrated against us; it's on the cover of the paper today. They have no respect. They have no idea what's going on over there, Mom - the men that are sacrificing their lives. People are dying every day over there, and nobody back here even seems to care. It's a bunch of goddamn xxxx if you ask me! "

No one really answered these except Jim got #1, so I'll give everyone another chance. All are from very popular movies

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: LennG on July 04, 2020, 12:55:57 PM
And a couple more

I've been ordered to take you men with me, I'm told that if you don't come I can shoot you. Well, you know I won't do that. Maybe somebody else will, but I won't, so that's that.
Many of us volunteered to fight for the Union. Some came mainly because we were bored at home and this looked like it might be fun. Some came because we were ashamed not to. Many came because it was the right thing to do.

And

Charlotte: You have done nothing for which you should be ashamed.
Benjamin : I have done nothing. And for that I am ashamed.

These also

AQll were from the 4th of July and that should be a decent clue

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Quote from: LennG on July 18, 2020, 07:43:04 PM
Jim

You asked a plain question about two movies that were word for word duplicates and I answered Psycho as one of them.

Why the confusion?

the remake of Psycho was an exact copy of the original, word for word, just nearly not as good. I believe it was with Anne Hecht.

Lenny, I didn't know your Psycho answer was for my question about the two movies that were re-done scene-by-scene.  I never saw the "Psycho" re-make so it wasn't one of those movies.  I'll give hints on the two I meant:  One had the original in 1926 & the re-make in 1939;  The other was 1936/1952.  The 1926 movie has been lost to dust; I'd have loved to have seen it.

I posted a new quote today & still have some old ones up there.