News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How do you feel about the direction this team is going? Guests Can Vote.

Started by Ed Vette, April 29, 2024, 03:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your level of enthusiasm?

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 01, 2024, 06:46:55 AMFormer NFL executive and current analyst Michael Lombardi believes that New York Giants co-owner John Mara impacted the club's decision to not spend the sixth pick of the 2024 NFL Draft on a replacement for starting quarterback Daniel Jones.

"And remember, John Mara, the president of the team -- he's the reason why Daniel Jones is making all that money -- he loves Daniel Jones," Lombardi said during a Monday appearance on sports radio station 106.7 The Fan, per Dan Mennella of Audacy. "He drafted Daniel Jones as the sixth pick overall. Nothing would make them more happy than Daniel Jones being successful. They're almost willing it to happen. It won't, but they're hoping it will."

Specifically, former Giants general manager Dave Gettleman selected Jones with the sixth pick of the 2019 draft. Current New York general manager Joe Schoen and Mara came together to sign Jones in March 2023 to a four-year contract that could be worth up to $160M.

The Giants can escape that agreement next offseason as long as the 26-year-old isn't dealing with a football-related injury at that time.

This past March, well-known radio host and FS1 personality Colin Cowherd suggested that Mara wanted a quarterback in Jones who Schoen and head coach Brian Daboll "privately don't want."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/former_executive_has_theory_on_why_giants_didnt_draft_daniel_jones_replacement/s1_13132_40300610

The fact that Mara is in love with a pedestrian Qb is scary for the future of our franchise.

AYM

I think the team is headed in the right direction - but I think next year's schedule is tough and the Giants might have a worse record and another very high pick.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on April 30, 2024, 07:26:34 AMWhere's the "waiting for a QB" option?

Our QB room looks pretty bleak

Jones: two neck surgeries and an ACL

Drew Lock who couldnt beat out Teddy Bridgwater and Gino Smith (twice)

Cutlets, enough said
The KING is in the building

4 Aces

We're at the point now where either the seeds sprout, or they don't.

For years, and certainly as Schoen's taken over, the Giants have been one of the youngest teams in the league:

RB - Drafted Gray (25) and Tracy (25) last 2 years. Are they players or do they suck? RB depth will be needed to do anything meaningful.
WR - If Nabers (21) and Hyatt (23) pop, and Robinson (23) keeps going, they could have one of the best trios in the league. If they don't, the worst.
TE - Bellinger (24) & Theo Johnson (23) are the potential difference makers. How good are they?
OL - The performance of the group swings on Schmitz (25) and Neal (24). 2 premium investments. 
CB - Banks (23), Flott (23), Robinson (26), Phillips (23) & Hawkins (24) are 5 planted seeds. This could sprout into a great situation or completely suck. 
S - Investments made in Nubin (23), Pinnock (25), Belton (24) & Owens (25). Solid 4-man group or a weakness?

Almost every position group hinges on how these youngsters (acquired by Schoen) come around. We could get a bumper crop, or starve to death.

Ed Vette

Quote from: brownelvis54 on May 01, 2024, 09:29:29 PMOur QB room looks pretty bleak

Jones: two neck surgeries and an ACL

Drew Lock who couldnt beat out Teddy Bridgwater and Gino Smith (twice)

Cutlets, enough said
There could be some cause for optimism. It was reported that Lock wasn't serious enough about putting in the work t get to the next level but last year there was marked improvement. Maybe Daboll saw something in him. For sure he would drive the ball downfield.

As for Tommy, another year in the system and an off-season to prepare, might make him more effective. He was just thrown in there LY. The key will be if they carry three QB's this season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 02, 2024, 07:53:26 AMThere could be some cause for optimism. It was reported that Lock wasn't serious enough about putting in the work t get to the next level but last year there was marked improvement. Maybe Daboll saw something in him. For sure he would drive the ball downfield.

As for Tommy, another year in the system and an off-season to prepare, might make him more effective. He was just thrown in there LY. The key will be if they carry three QB's this season.
With our organization's history of injuries, they'd be foolish not to.

I think Cutlet's change of agents may also prove beneficial to him.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 02, 2024, 07:53:26 AMThere could be some cause for optimism. It was reported that Lock wasn't serious enough about putting in the work t get to the next level but last year there was marked improvement. Maybe Daboll saw something in him. For sure he would drive the ball downfield.

between the 3 of them, it still comes down to the oline. no one will succeed if they dont get it together.

kartanoman

Quote from: katkavage on April 29, 2024, 04:39:25 PMThe schedule folks. Don't forget the schedule. In 2022 the schedule was easy. They played the AFC South. Last year they had to play the NFC West. Lost 3 out of four. This year they play the AFC North and NFC South. NFC South can go either way. Carolina is the only team as of now they would be favored against. In their division, they need to prove finally that they can beat Dallas, until they do, they are underdogs. Philly...we shall see which team shows up. Washington will be better. Don't count on the two easy wins. So go through the schedule. Of course there are injuries to other teams that change the dynamic. But right now, on paper, I don't see more than 7 wins. That's being generous.

+1

I continue to ask the age-old question:

What have the Giants done to close the gap between them and their division rivals (i.e. Dallas and Philly)? The rest of the schedule is a crapshoot after that.

0-41 and 17-49 are the two tangible results from last year which stick out like a sore thumb. What have the Giants done so far that makes them better than that?

In case you forgot, check last year's season's results. Better yet, burn last season's record book! But there MUST be tangible results demonstrating improvement. Until then, my vote is ...

I'll believe it when I see it!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: y_so_blu on April 30, 2024, 04:01:03 AMThe least excited I've been since I started following the team in 2020. No more Saquon (the real face of our franchise), no more Xavier, still no real quarterback or apparent plans to get one. Hello to another year of ranking 30-something on offense and the defense having to do most of the work. That's definitely a "meh."

I think the "meh" season for the ages was 1996 with a lame duck head coach, an even more broken quarterback and a former super-star running back run down to the steel walls of his tires, and hardly a WR to throw to.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

So it's 89 skeptical to disappointed and 38 cautiously positive to excited. I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it group. Although, to me, the keys are the Oline, how well the Defense starts off, can the Run Game be effective, and how well Jones & Co. can connect with the weapons. It often takes time for a new DC to get his players up to speed. It can be a few games or half the season. It may also take a few games for the interior Oline to work as a cohesive unit.

If Simmons can be used as a Blitzer from the Will Back Position to be adjuvant to Burns and Thibs in Pass Rush, that might offset the inexperience in the Secondary this year. I see him and McFadden sharing time, based on Down and Distance. Dex is going to be double-teamed and I don't see anyone replacing Leo just yet. Right now I'm more concerned about the Defense than the Offense. Minus Adoree, Leo, and McKinney, Adding Burns and Rookies Nubin-Phillips who will need time and Special Teams addition Muasau looks to me to be a 2024 step back but two steps up in 2025.   

If all progresses well, then we are looking at Jones as the 2025 QB, and with additions from the '25 Draft and a projected 46 million in Cap Space, they could make a run for at least the NFC East.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TONKA56

Quote from: kartanoman on May 02, 2024, 09:10:24 AMI think the "meh" season for the ages was 1996 with a lame duck head coach, an even more broken quarterback and a former super-star running back run down to the steel walls of his tires, and hardly a WR to throw to.

Peace!

Did Thomas Lewis ever make it onto the field?

brownelvis54

Cautiously Optimistic. I expect us to win 4 games this upcoming season. My hope is that we are competitive during our loses and our O-line makes a huge leap.
The KING is in the building