News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

After 6 days at camp here are my risers and fallers

Started by MightyGiants, August 05, 2023, 08:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

After watching 6 practice sessions

RISERS

Dexter Lawrence-  He looks even more powerful than last season
Micah McFadden-  Very impressive in coverage, I don't think Beavers has the 2nd ILB job won (at least just yet)
T. Hawkins III- Perhaps the biggest surprise of camp has been the performance of this day 3 CB
E. Neal- He may not be playing like a 7th overall pick but he looks much better than last season
M. Peart- quietly has had a nice camp
Darren Waller-  The guy is a beast
Cole Beasley- I thought it was a joke when they signed him, but he might play a big role in this offense
Jalin Hyatt- I didn't expect much from him this season, but he could end up being the number-one WR
Daniel Jones- more confident, quicker throws, and more accuracy
B. Bredeson- Is becoming a leader (first one out on offense) and I think he is a starter somewhere on the line
Carter Coughlin- I think he makes a push to be the 4th ILB
Eric Gray- I liked his few offensive plays but he has sealed the deal as the kick return and maybe punt returner
Daniel Bellinger-  has looked good although Waller is clearly the number one TE

FALLERS

Kayvon Thibodeaux-  He has not been impressive so far in camp.  Usually, a good pass rusher will have a few "wow" type plays, but KT has not had any.  I hope this is an indication of the quality of the OTs rather than a reflection of KT
D. Holmes and C. Flott-  Slot CB is becoming a mild concern
Isaiah Hodgins- training camp is where WRs shine, but Hodgins has not.  If not for last year's accomplishments, I would wonder if he was making the team.  In fairness, Hodgins is better against zone, and Wink loves M2M
Bryce Ford-Wheaton-  He's big, and I know he tested through the roof, but I am not seeing it on the field
Lawrence Cager-  hasn't had a very good camp; I wouldn't be surprised if Sweeney takes his job
Tyrod Taylor- does not seem as good as last year
Sterling Shepard- Barring injury, I am not liking his chances of making the team
X. McKinney-  Been pretty invisible
A. Oruwariye- From former Lions starting CB to longshot to make the team

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

Thanks for the info
Looking back how scary would we be if we drafted
G Wilson instead of E Neal
It worked out for the Bengals
Just think
G Wilson and J Hyatt on the field together

MightyGiants

Quote from: ralphpal1 on August 05, 2023, 09:14:08 AMThanks for the info
Looking back how scary would we be if we drafted
G Wilson instead of E Neal
It worked out for the Bengals
Just think
G Wilson and J Hyatt on the field together

Considering how bad the O-line has been for over a decade, I can't fault efforts to improve it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Excellent and interesting color. A few thoughts I'm having:

Let's get the negatives out of the way first:

-I don't love hearing this about Thibodeaux, but I'm inclined to look past it for now. He looked pretty darn good down the stretch in some of those late season games, and I have liked the way he has been hard on himself (talks about how his NFL tape is "cringe tape"). I feel like he worked hard in the offseason not just training-wise but studying-wise. I still expect a quantum leap forward from him this season.

-That's a bit disappointing about Hodgins. I am a fan of his and was generally very impressed with him last year, including in some big games. Having said that, this is a crowded receiver room now, so there is not a lot of margin for error for these guys. He better dial it up over the next couple weeks.

-No surprise on Ford-Wheaton. A guy with his measurables playing in the power 5 where there are scouts galore doesn't just go undrafted for no reason.

-Disappointing on Flott. He's a guy I was hoping would quietly have a big step forward this year. Hopefully he still does.

Now on to the positives:

-I follow the rest of the NFL reasonably closely, and Hyatt is becoming one of the bigger camp stories in the league nationally. Outside of Anthony Richardson I'm not sure there is any bigger camp story so far, in terms of a guy who is really impressing everyone beyond expectations. The hype is building.

-Sounds like between Neal looking more stable and Peart surprising, our RT situation this year should be much improved. That's hugely important.

-I'm delighted that Hawkins has looked as good as he has. If he is actually a viable option on defense this year that's a huge steal.

-While I don't put a great deal of stock in QB play in camp, I obviously like what I'm hearing about Jones (what Giants fan wouldn't?). Seems like he has more confidence and just looks very comfortable out there and is making some nice deep throws. I'm definitely looking forward to watching this offense this year. It's been a long time since I've felt like our offense may actually be even "solid."

Jolly Blue Giant

Maybe it is that behind-the-back, no-look, one-handed ridiculous catch by Pinnock that still blows my mind, but I'd add him to the "positives" list. He's playing hungry - like he wants to be the starting SS and looks like it's his job to lose

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jclayton92

I think pinnock Is in the driver seat for starting day 1 opposite Mckinney.

I think if Hawkins continues his amazing play the staff will have a huge dilemma week 1 with Banks/Hawkins.

President Rick

start all 3:  banks, hawkins, jackson, using one as the slot?  just wondering. obviously some different skills and techniques, but it's still pass defense, and it isn't darnay 'I can't cover ' holmes.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 05, 2023, 08:56:24 AMAfter watching 6 practice sessions

RISERS

Dexter Lawrence-  He looks even more powerful than last season
Micah McFadden-  Very impressive in coverage, I don't think Beavers has the 2nd ILB job won (at least just yet)
T. Hawkins III- Perhaps the biggest surprise of camp has been the performance of this day 3 CB
E. Neal- He may not be playing like a 7th overall pick but he looks much better than last season
M. Peart- quietly has had a nice camp
Darren Waller-  The guy is a beast
Cole Beasley- I thought it was a joke when they signed him, but he might play a big role in this offense
Jalin Hyatt- I didn't expect much from him this season, but he could end up being the number-one WR
Daniel Jones- more confident, quicker throws, and more accuracy
B. Bredeson- Is becoming a leader (first one out on offense) and I think he is a starter somewhere on the line
Carter Coughlin- I think he makes a push to be the 4th ILB
Eric Gray- I liked his few offensive plays but he has sealed the deal as the kick return and maybe punt returner
Daniel Bellinger-  has looked good although Waller is clearly the number one TE

FALLERS

Kayvon Thibodeaux-  He has not been impressive so far in camp.  Usually, a good pass rusher will have a few "wow" type plays, but KT has not had any.  I hope this is an indication of the quality of the OTs rather than a reflection of KT
D. Holmes and C. Flott-  Slot CB is becoming a mild concern
Isaiah Hodgins- training camp is where WRs shine, but Hodgins has not.  If not for last year's accomplishments, I would wonder if he was making the team.  In fairness, Hodgins is better against zone, and Wink loves M2M
Bryce Ford-Wheaton-  He's big, and I know he tested through the roof, but I am not seeing it on the field
Lawrence Cager-  hasn't had a very good camp; I wouldn't be surprised if Sweeney takes his job
Tyrod Taylor- does not seem as good as last year
Sterling Shepard- Barring injury, I am not liking his chances of making the team
X. McKinney-  Been pretty invisible
A. Oruwariye- From former Lions starting CB to longshot to make the team

The fact that Neal, Peart and Bredeson are there is a delight to read .

If Peart can become that constant swing Tackle who can start for a week or two without much of a drop off that is a big W.

Bredeson I have been vouching for since early last season... I've always said outside of Thomas he was our best lineman a good chunk of the time.

McKinney I hope invisible means "good" as he hasn't been exposed or burnt.

Hodgins im hoping its just a dry spell or something.  He wasnt much of a splashy player just very reliable.

killarich

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 05, 2023, 10:24:01 AMI think pinnock Is in the driver seat for starting day 1 opposite Mckinney.

I think if Hawkins continues his amazing play the staff will have a huge dilemma week 1 with Banks/Hawkins.

Good dilemma to have

Pinnock looked good last season , his play thus far does not surprise me

killarich

Quote from: President Rick on August 05, 2023, 11:20:13 AMstart all 3:  banks, hawkins, jackson, using one as the slot?  just wondering. obviously some different skills and techniques, but it's still pass defense, and it isn't darnay 'I can't cover ' holmes.

Yea how was Hawkins in the slot in College if at all ?

I feel Banks almost has to start due to him being a first round draft pick. Has Hawkins played the CB3 with the first team at all during camp ?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 05, 2023, 10:24:01 AMI think pinnock Is in the driver seat for starting day 1 opposite Mckinney.

There are those speaking highly of Pinnock
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Rich, If not for durability concern, I assume Azeez Ojulari would be on your list with or without Carl Banks's enthusiastic backing. C'est vrai?

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on August 05, 2023, 12:28:18 PMRich, If not for durability concern, I assume Azeez Ojulari would be on your list with or without Carl Banks's enthusiastic backing. C'est vrai?

Cheers!

I thought Ojulari looked good.   I didn't include him in the list because Ojulari has generally played well outside of injury.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I really believe Hawkins, Banks and Jackson become the starters with one olaying slot.  They wont keep Hawkins or Banks on the bench behind Flott.

I am surprised at Thibs in this camp.  Expected him to dominate in practice.  That has me a bit concerned he has not developed more.  Hopefully that is an aberration.

Not worried about McKinney at all.

Happy to read McFadden is rising up at ILB as oppose to everyone is falling but the best of the worst is.....

As always, thanks Rich for your thoughts.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on August 05, 2023, 01:49:21 PMI really believe Hawkins, Banks and Jackson become the starters with one olaying slot.  They wont keep Hawkins or Banks on the bench behind Flott.

I am surprised at Thibs in this camp.  Expected him to dominate in practice.  That has me a bit concerned he has not developed more.  Hopefully that is an aberration.

Not worried about McKinney at all.

Happy to read McFadden is rising up at ILB as oppose to everyone is falling but the best of the worst is.....

As always, thanks Rich for your thoughts.

It would be a bold move to have 2 rookies at the boundary CB positions
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE