News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

After 6 days at camp here are my risers and fallers

Started by MightyGiants, August 05, 2023, 08:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on August 08, 2023, 08:45:49 AMYes he made one critical drop. But who hasn't? He also did not have a lot of opportunities thrown his way

Totally fair, and I agree that it's unfair to define someone by one play.

But I just think when you're in the position he was, where he is getting his shot and has an opportunity to really help his team in a huge spot, to choke in that situation is tough. That's going to stick in people's minds more than it might with someone who is more established.

I'm not saying he can't recover from that, but again, I maintain that last year was a much better opportunity for him than this one is. The receiver room is crowded now. Last year the cupboard was bare with Golladay and Toney chronically hurt and everyone else mediocre at best.

For Sills to make the 53 this year, he will have to truly light it up. And he probably already needed to in camp this past two weeks. Doesn't seem like that has really happened based on reports I have read. Practice squad seems most likely. If a rash of injuries hits, like it often does with this team, then perhaps they'll give him another shot during the season. But I'll be shocked if he makes the initial 53 given all the guys in the receiver room this year.

Dgoodmantrublu

He had more than one one drop and struggled to get open at all. The coaches didn't bench him because they had it out for him. He just doesn't separate well enough.

DaveBrown74

The cold hard reality on Sills is that he's 27 and has yet to ever do anything of note in the NFL. I really doubt it's a case of him being this undiscovered gem that talent evaluators the caliber of Schoen and Daboll have failed to notice. On the contrary, they seem to be the two people who have been the most supportive of his career to this point.

If you're a 27 year old wide receiver and have never done anything in the NFL, the chances are high that you never will. I think everyone likes him because he's a hard worker and seems like a great guy, but the ability level to be a meaningful NFL player just isn't there. Otherwise it would have happened by now.

If you recall the Austrian RB Sandro Platzgummer, it kind of feels similar to that. Everyone was rooting for that kid and was dying to see him make the team. It was a story for two summers, maybe three. People really wanted it to happen, but it didn't. The reason it didn't happen was not because he was unlucky. I think it's similar with Sills.