News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bryce Ford-Wheaton

Started by Alamo, March 05, 2023, 08:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alamo

WR out of West Virginia..Incredible stats
at the combine..One of only 3 players since 2003 to have these stats..
6'3 3/4...221 lbs...438 Fourty time..41" Vertical...I think the Giants can get him in the 4th round,or get him with one of their round 3 picks..DK Metcalf is one of the players who has those crazy stats..And we all know how good Metcalf is catching footballs..

Alamo

Any reason my post does not say new on the pages listing g ALL new posts ???

T200

Quote from: Alamo on March 05, 2023, 11:16:54 PMAny reason my post does not say new on the pages listing g ALL new posts ???
The *new* designation refers to unread threads and goes away when the thread is opened. Since you are the author of the thread, it wouldn't be *new* to you. Now that I've responded, you will see *new* next to it. Let me know if this isn't the case.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Alamo on March 05, 2023, 08:25:02 PMWR out of West Virginia..Incredible stats
6'3 3/4...221 lbs...438 Fourty time..41" Vertical...I think the Giants can get him in the 4th round,or get him with one of their round 3 picks..DK Metcalf is one of the players who has those crazy stats..And we all know how good Metcalf is catching footballs..

Interesting prospect, thanks for bringing him to our attention.   One thing when I look at a receiver prospect who aces the combine is I look at his college stats.   After all, if the guy is a physical beast he must have dominated at the college level.   Things that jumped out at me in his stats

1) He never scored a TD in all his college years
2) His total yardage was mediocre
3) His yards per reception was underwhelming for a guy who runs that fast

So why doesn't his production match his physical talent?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Alamo

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2023, 07:53:11 AMInteresting prospect, thanks for bringing him to our attention.   One thing when I look at a receiver prospect who aces the combine is I look at his college stats.   After all, if the guy is a physical beast he must have dominated at the college level.   Things that jumped out at me in his stats

1) He never scored a TD in all his college years
2) His total yardage was mediocre
3) His yards per reception was underwhelming for a guy who runs that fast

So why doesn't his production match his physical talent?

Since I am a WVU fan,and live in West Virginia,I was flabbergasted at your post..In 2022,his stats are:
12 games..62 catches...7 TD's..675 yds..
#2 Ranked WR in Big 12..No QB at WVU will be drafted this year..

MightyGiants

Quote from: Alamo on March 06, 2023, 09:03:26 AMSince I am a WVU fan,and live in West Virginia,I was flabbergasted at your post..In 2022,his stats are:
12 games..62 catches...7 TD's..675 yds..
#2 Ranked WR in Big 12..No QB at WVU will be drafted this year..

I apologize, I looked at the TD stats for rushing.  You're correct, he had 7 YDs.  The rest of my comments stand.   Looking deeper despite his gifts, he wasn't even the leading receiver on his team.

Still, as you are a fan, I would love your scouting report on the guy.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I dug deeper.  This is really interesting.  He only averaged around 10-11 yards per catch which is low for that kind of body and speed.  He had one game this year with 17 yards per catch, one at 13 yards per catch then rest at 10-11 yards per catch.  Hmmmm.

I looked further.  His QB had a sub 60% completion rate and only something like 6.4 yards per attempt plus the team was 5-7.  Maybe he had poor QB play keeping him back from better output.

Now I looked at DK Metcalf's stats his last year as you used him as a reference point.  He played in only 7 games but averaged over 21 yards per reception.  In fact 5 of his 7 games he had over 20 yards per reception.  His QBs threw for a completion rate of aomething lime 64% and 9.4 yards per attempt.  Plus Metcalf played in a better conference and against better CBs than Ford.   Hmmmm.

My conclusion is no conclusion because as you koted maybe he played on a marginal offense with a bad QB.  As a WVU fan, I trust your knowledge more than mine on him.  I'd like your help to answer the following:

1) what does he do well and badly at as a WR?

2) how are his ball tracking skills and concentration especially on long routes?

3) does he catch passes with hands or body?

Thanks for posting.  I am very, very intrigued by him.  Love his size/speed combo.  Think he may be worth Giants due diligence but I'd like to hear more from you.

Alamo

Quote from: Philosophers on March 06, 2023, 09:30:00 AMI dug deeper.  This is really interesting.  He only averaged around 10-11 yards per catch which is low for that kind of body and speed.  He had one game this year with 17 yards per catch, one at 13 yards per catch then rest at 10-11 yards per catch.  Hmmmm.

I looked further.  His QB had a sub 60% completion rate and only something like 6.4 yards per attempt plus the team was 5-7.  Maybe he had poor QB play keeping him back from better output.
PS:S.JAMES leading WR on the team has bad hands.Can't tell you how many he dropped in crucial times in a game..

Now I looked at DK Metcalf's stats his last year as you used him as a reference point.  He played in only 7 games but averaged over 21 yards per reception.  In fact 5 of his 7 games he had over 20 yards per reception.  His QBs threw for a completion rate of aomething lime 64% and 9.4 yards per attempt.  Plus Metcalf played in a better conference and against better CBs than Ford.   Hmmmm.

My conclusion is no conclusion because as you koted maybe he played on a marginal offense with a bad QB.  As a WVU fan, I trust your knowledge more than mine on him.  I'd like your help to answer the following:

1) what does he do well and badly at as a WR?

2) how are his ball tracking skills and concentration especially on long routes?

3) does he catch passes with hands or body?

Thanks for posting.  I am very, very intrigued by him.  Love his size/speed combo.  Think he may be worth Giants due diligence but I'd like to hear more from you.
As you noted well,his stats do not look great..I can compare him to our Giants right now..VG  QB,who can throw deep with pretty good accuracy,and a mediocre WR's who can't catch or get open.WVU is the direct opposite.Offence line for blocking for pass plays is bad..There ok for the running game.I can also note,if my memory
don't fail me he gets double covered alot,so the QB isnot always looking for him..I have seen games where late in the 4th qtr,he is the only receiver getting open,to get even a 1st down.He catches anything & everything with his hands..The comparison at the combine with Metcalf,is not about game stats..It's his physical ability to jump 41" high, run real fast 4.38 @ weigh 221 lbs..
According to scouts,he is one of only 3 players to do this since 2004..Before the combine,he was rated 251 best available..
After these physical numbers he put up,and his size compared to Metcalf he might just get into the 150 best available..We need a fast big guy who can catch..4th or 5th round would be excellent for the Giants to get him.And as far as I know he's a good kid,and coaches love him.
PS..Leading WR on the team has bad hands..Only caught 42 passes..But dropped quite a few..Slayton like hands..

MightyGiants

Quote from: Alamo on March 06, 2023, 11:16:34 AMAs you noted well,his stats do not look great..I can compare him to our Giants right now..VG  QB,who can throw deep with pretty good accuracy,and a mediocre WR's who can't catch or get open.WVU is the direct opposite.Offence line for blocking for pass plays is bad..There ok for the running game.I can also note,if my memory
don't fail me he gets double covered alot,so the QB isnot always looking for him..I have seen games where late in the 4th qtr,he is the only receiver getting open,to get even a 1st down.He catches anything & everything with his hands..The comparison at the combine with Metcalf,is not about game stats..It's his physical ability to jump 41" high, run real fast 4.38 @ weigh 221 lbs..
According to scouts,he is one of only 3 players to do this since 2004..Before the combine,he was rated 251 best available..
After these physical numbers he put up,and his size compared to Metcalf he might just get into the 150 best available..We need a fast big guy who can catch..4th or 5th round would be excellent for the Giants to get him.And as far as I know he's a good kid,and coaches love him.

I would take a 5th round flyer on these traits
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

I would not reach for a player of any position based on combine performance, mediocre stats, or in this case a combination of both.

With that said, if they have him on their board and decide to use a 4th or 5th on him, so be it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on March 06, 2023, 11:56:26 AMI would not reach for a player of any position based on combine performance, mediocre stats, or in this case a combination of both.

With that said, if they have him on their board and decide to use a 4th or 5th on him, so be it.

My feeling is with day 1, and 2 picks you are looking for prospects that marry traits with production.  By round 5 (sometimes 4 depending on the draft year), teams are better off taking flyers on players with traits because most of the productive players will be off the board.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2023, 11:59:28 AMMy feeling is with day 1, and 2 picks you are looking for prospects that marry traits with production.  By round 5 (sometimes 4 depending on the draft year), teams are better off taking flyers on players with traits because most of the productive players will be off the board.

That's valid, more or less, I just think to say "this guys is available here in this round" based on combine traits and fandom of a team is a bit trigger happy.

Whether its this guys or someone else, let's hope they do in fact uncover a gem (or more)

Bob In PA

Quote from: Alamo on March 05, 2023, 08:25:02 PMWR out of West Virginia..Incredible stats

Alamo: He's pretty good. Don't think he'll last til round 4 but round 3 might be ok. Still thinking about it. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Alamo

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 06, 2023, 03:22:57 PMAlamo: He's pretty good. Don't think he'll last til round 4 but round 3 might be ok. Still thinking about it. Bob

He was not on a vg team..QB's were nothing to brag about.When this team needed a 1st down,most of the time the ball was going to him..Good hands,good separation on routes.3rd and 9,3rd and 12,you name it.He's getting g the ball.He hardly drops anything.As noted above by another poster,his average is 11 ypc..That's a mess load of 1st downs..