News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How will the new cutdown day going to be?

Started by afan56, August 19, 2023, 12:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afan56

It seems like it will be exciting and wild to have so many players be cut in 10 days and become available all at once. If no team makes early cuts then 32 teams cut 37 players = 1184 guys! Do the Giants want anything at this stage?

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: afan56 on August 19, 2023, 12:37:40 PMIt seems like it will be exciting and wild to have so many players be cut in 10 days and become available all at once. If no team makes early cuts then 32 teams cut 37 players = 1184 guys! Do the Giants want anything at this stage?

I think the Giants will be watching to see who gets cut from teams overloaded with good guards and maybe a LB or safety. I can't see them looking much beyond that. I doubt a good swing tackle gets cut from any team. One thing I love about this staff, you just know they are analyzing every player to the tenth degree on every other team and have a dossier on them...always looking for players with the right traits, but maybe haven't had the proper coaching. And they do this all year long. Giants fans are blessed!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

Hi Bob, your post sparked a thought. I'm sure the Giants will be watching the Waiver Wire and they should wait on the tough cuts to see if there is an abundant market for a replacement or if their guy has a chance to clear waivers. One player, in particular, might be Bryce Ford Wheaton. They may find a Slot Corner their scouts have been watching at other training camps and that may weigh the decision on Holmes.

Trades after cut day are rare but Beasley might fetch a player in need.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 19, 2023, 12:49:07 PMI think the Giants will be watching to see who gets cut from teams overloaded with good guards and maybe a LB or safety. I can't see them looking much beyond that. I doubt a good swing tackle gets cut from any team. One thing I love about this staff, you just know they are analyzing every player to the tenth degree on every other team and have a dossier on them...always looking for players with the right traits, but maybe haven't had the proper coaching. And they do this all year long. Giants fans are blessed!
I can see them picking up a Guard or Tackle or even trading for one. I don't know about you, but outside of the starting five there isn't one backup that I would say we gotta keep except for maybe Peart and I would think there are 3 better players out there that will get cut or a team may want to trade than the three who will be taking up a roster spot here. Let's light a candle that the starters stay healthy because the backups will unravel this Offense and shred the season. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

Whoever doesn't win the starting Guard job will be better than most backups out there. It is so hard to find quality OL. I seriously doubt there will be anyone we can get on cuts. I'm sure we'd love to add a guy, but it will be much harder to do so with us so far down the waiver claim pecking order.

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 19, 2023, 12:57:49 PMI can see them picking up a Guard or Tackle or even trading for one. I don't know about you, but outside of the starting five there isn't one backup that I would say we gotta keep except for maybe Peart and I would think there are 3 better players out there that will get cut or a team may want to trade than the three who will be taking up a roster spot here. Let's light a candle that the starters stay healthy because the backups will unravel this Offense and shred the season. 

Jclayton92

I think Ez is your backup LT and Phillips when healthy the backup RT.

I'd just temper expectations as the past several years we were early in the waiver pecking order and that's not the case this year. So we likely won't see the pinnock and McCloud gems of last year this year.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 19, 2023, 01:45:21 PMI think Ez is your backup LT and Phillips when healthy the backup RT.

I'd just temper expectations as the past several years we were early in the waiver pecking order and that's not the case this year. So we likely won't see the pinnock and McCloud gems of last year this year.
Which makes trading a viable option.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

We only have 1 pick per round next year. Unless you are getting a true difference-making player, I would be hesitant to give away draft choices.

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 19, 2023, 02:10:06 PMWhich makes trading a viable option.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 19, 2023, 02:11:29 PMWe only have 1 pick per round next year. Unless you are getting a true difference-making player, I would be hesitant to give away draft choices.

It could be a player trade or I would have no problem letting go of a third day pick for a player that would be on the roster. Especially an Oline upgrade with the bar so low.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 19, 2023, 02:17:02 PMIt could be a player trade or I would have no problem letting go of a third day pick for a player that would be on the roster. Especially an Oline upgrade with the bar so low.
If we can only have 1 which are you taking... a viable 3rd EDGE, starting Nickel Corner, or Swing tackle?

Dgoodmantrublu

Seeing what we did late in this year's draft, I don't really want to trade picks away.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 19, 2023, 03:05:30 PMSeeing what we did late in this year's draft, I don't really want to trade picks away.

We could end up a little spoiled with this year's draft, having such high expectations in the future. Hope I'm wrong, and I hope Schoen nails the draft every year like this year. My gut says this year was an anomaly, but I hope it's a long-term trend
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 19, 2023, 03:41:30 PMWe could end up a little spoiled with this year's draft, having such high expectations in the future. Hope I'm wrong, and I hope Schoen nails the draft every year like this year. My gut says this year was an anomaly, but I hope it's a long-term trend

I like the way this draft is looking, but I feel it may be premature to definitively declare that Schoen "nailed" this draft. Not one of our rookies has played a single snap of a regular season NFL game. I'm not saying I'm not optimistic, because I am, but I feel we need to see how these guys perform in games that count. We also need to see how durable they are at this level.

I actually also think it's still too early to even declare what last year's draft was. There are still a variety of outcomes on that one. We don't really know what Thibodeaux, Neal, Wan'Dale, Ezeudu, or any of the day three picks (besides perhaps Bellinger) are as NFL players yet. So if we don't know what the 2022 draft was, I am not sure that we can factually define the 2023 draft yet.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 19, 2023, 03:00:03 PMIf we can only have 1 which are you taking... a viable 3rd EDGE, starting Nickel Corner, or Swing tackle?
That depends on the talent but I would take the Tackle because I trust Wink to make it work with what he has. The Offense can come apart so fast with two critical injuries to the starters. We have seen that happen many many seasons.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 19, 2023, 03:05:30 PMSeeing what we did late in this year's draft, I don't really want to trade picks away.
Don't worry, it's what I want, not what the Giants will do. It's highly unlikely.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin