News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Photography

Started by LennG, July 22, 2020, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

OK, you asked for it.

Please, there has to be many amateur photographers here ( I know Frank is one), so please let's see what you've got also,  and if you want, a brief explanation of where you were. Myself, I'm not a technical guy so if you mention F stops and lighting, I might know what you are talking about, but no big deal. 

Myself, I try to do a lot of nature shots. I LOVE scenery. I LOVE close-ups of anything I can get close to, especially flowers. I LOVE sunsets. I also try and do a lot of what I call imagination shots (artsy), where I may think something MIGHT look good as a pix, but different than a regular photo.

As I said before, I can take 25-30 pics of just one thing, as shading or sun give it different looks. I am learning how to shoot at different speeds which can add a whole different look to a pix. But I am an amateur compared to so many other people.

Anyway here are a few pix just to start out

As I said, I LOVE close ups of flowers and when I was able to capture a dragonfly right on this one, and well..............

We venture up to Maine quite a bit (to see Jim et al). This is the Portland Head Light, the oldest working lighthouse in the county and the most photographed.

We also go to Washington a LOT. it is one of the most photogenic places in this country. We happened to be walking away from the Lincoln Memorial right after sunset and caught this shot

We also go to Newport RI as often as we can. It is truly one of the great small cities in the Northeast. We happen to be there in March when they had an 8-inch wet snow and it made it like a winter wonderland. Here is Trinity Church, right in the heart of downtown Newport--like a Christmas card pix

My brother lives in Colorado, so we travel out west every so often. Maybe my favorite place in all the West is Monument Valley, Az. Everywhere you turn, you can just see John Wayne galloping around. Truly a spectacular place for any photographer.We were there on the one day it rained in about 2 months. I was so depressed, but as we were leaving the sun broke thru and allowed me to get a few great shots.

Last is a place that if my wife could visit every day, she would. In Shelbourne Mass, they had an old trolley bridge that wasn't used anymore and converted it to what is known as the Bridge of Flowers. If you like flowers, like to photograph flowers, like to just stroll a path with some of the most amazing flowers, this is the place. I can fill 7 albums of pix with all the pix I take here. You don't know what to shoot first. Here is one pix that I like as the colors are perfect, lighting perfect and just a flower

Now that you got me started, lookout.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Len,

I love lighthouses, and I have a picture of the same lighthouse you do.   I like your picture better than the one (actually two as I had the same one on two different years).  :ok:

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Glad you started this thread Lenn. Those are truly incredible pictures that you've shared - stunning and professional. I'm glad you posted them as I was hoping to see some of the talent from this board and you in particular. You definitely have the eye for it. I'd have to dig through a thousand pictures of mine to find one or two worth posting. I already posted one worth posting - the sky on fire sunset. If I find another, I'll post it. Now I'm getting the hankering to dig out my expensive camera and get to work on it!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

Excellent Len!! A couple of those I would pay for prints to hang on my walls.

LennG

Thanks guys.

As the old expression goes
"You ain't seen nothing yet "     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I'm glad you started this and offered up some of your work.
Beautiful shots, Lenn. Every one of them is just incredible. My fave though would have to be Monument Valley with the Dragonfly a really close second!
OK, now for the stupid question....
How do I post a picture? I have a few pix on this laptop and I see the "insert photo" icon in the options, but I can't get it to work. I know I'm doing something wrong.
Any hints to get me going?
Thanks in advance...
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 22, 2020, 06:11:37 PM
Len,

I love lighthouses, and I have a picture of the same lighthouse you do.   I like your picture better than the one (actually two as I had the same one on two different years).  :ok:

Rich

Anyone who has been to Portland Maine has a great pix of the Head Light. We have been there quite a few times and this pix was right after Christmas. It is almost impossible not to get a good pix of the Portland Head Light, but to find the right spot to get that good pix, that is the key. Plus, that deep blue sky helps any pix of anything. If anyone goes there, if you walk along the fence line, maybe 200 yards away (most people dopn't go that far), there is a sort of cutout in the fence where you can take this pix. (My inside tip)

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on July 22, 2020, 08:48:09 PM
I'm glad you started this and offered up some of your work.
Beautiful shots, Lenn. Every one of them is just incredible. My fave though would have to be Monument Valley with the Dragonfly a really close second!
OK, now for the stupid question....
How do I post a picture? I have a few pix on this laptop and I see the "insert photo" icon in the options, but I can't get it to work. I know I'm doing something wrong.
Any hints to get me going?
Thanks in advance...

Ozzie

I think Rish can probably explain it better, but a while back the board told us, if we want to post a lot of pix, go to this site
https://postimages.org/
From there you click on choose image
Find the image on your computer and open it up
Next it will open a list of things, Highlite the Direct Link and copy it.
Now go to your post on BBH
Where all the things are on the top, under the Italic button, click on that and it will put up 2 {img}{img} things. Click between them and place the link that you have copied and post it.
If you want to post multiple images, just keep putting the 'insert image' thing and paste your links there.
On the Post Images site, just keep finding what pix you want to post and keep doing it.
I usually limit my pix to 4-5 at a time, but you could post as many as you like, but we don't want to overwhelm our guests.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Thanks, Lenn.
Well, I don't have much on this laptop as it's relatively new, but here are a few of mine. And if you folks don't get sick of it, many more to follow..

This is a Cardinal resting in our backyard this past winter

Here's a neat little lizard that has made our yard his home

This one was taken with my phone. Parked the car at work and looked up to see what I thought were some impressive clouds

I will post more as I get them moved over to this laptop, but these are my offerings for tonight. I hope to see a lot of members contribute. Don't be shy!
Thanks again,Lenn..
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

LennG

Great shots Ozzie.

Anyone person who 'loves' those close ups.  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Charlie Weiss

Jim143

Ok, stupid question.  I don't have a site to upload my pictures to, so how do I display them?
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

Sem

Quote from: Jim143 on July 23, 2020, 07:38:24 AM
Ok, stupid question.  I don't have a site to upload my pictures to, so how do I display them?
You don't need to be registered at a site. Just follow Len's directions above using https://postimages.org/

MightyGiants

Len,

I reread my comment and I see I forgot to add the most important part.  The two pictures I have are on lighthouse calendars.   I like your picture better than the ones taken by professionals
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

Yes Jim, Lenn's instructions above are spot on. I'll just say be sure to use the DIRECT LINK option to copy it. The first time I tried I copied the wrong link and couldn't understand why it wasn't working. Turns out it was Operator Error, the root of most of my problems!!

John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

Lenn explained it, but I'll try to explain it a little differently. Like Lenn, I prefer to use "Postimages.org". There are other free file sharing sites, but in my experience, Postimages.org is the easiest.

Go to https://postimages.org/

Step 1: click "Choose Images" (this will take you to your personal files on your PC)
Step 2: locate the picture you want to show and click "enter"
Step 3: There will be a row of options to click, pick "Hotlink for Forums" (7th option down) and click the little blue icon to the right of the row
Step 4: on the BBH thread you want to post the picture, just click "paste"

note: sometimes the postimages website adds a little advertisement to the end of the picture (about 1 out of 10 times). So before sending your response, check out the link that is pasted. So if the link to the picture has additional information after the first [img][/url] in the link, such as First Finance Insurance[/url], just delete that part. So always "preview" before posting.

Really easy once you get used to it.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: