News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- MLB has moved All Star Game out of Atlanta

Started by Painter, April 02, 2021, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 02:00:15 PM
But clearly you're not. So not only do you not get to speak for us, you can't even speak hypothetically about what you would or would not do if you were one of us. You are blind to your own privilege.

I don't need you to tell me what I am capable of.

No one asked you to apologize for your success. It was never a topic.

Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. You see it, you address it and you deal with it until it is no longer a problem. My dad has heart problems. Should I tell him, "Daddy, just ignore it and it will go away???"

It's nice to feel that all Americans have equal opportunities for success. It just isn't true.

Here

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

T200

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 02:28:21 PM
Tim: Before answering, I amended my original post to make clear I was referring to myself, not you, when I said time to "think outside the box."

I actually wasn't offering a specific solution (until you inadvertently "challenged" me to provide one LOL).  Coming up with stuff like that was one of my "jobs" a while back. 

To answer your question, first, the idea isn't just for mail-in and absentee ballots.  You would take your Voter ID Number with you to the polls and enter it when you vote (whether they use paper ballots or machines).

You would not request a voter ID.  The legislature would, by writing a law, ORDER the Social Security Administration to send every registered SS number holder an additional number, to be known as a Voter ID Number.

You would receive it in the mail, or by Internet if you have an online account with Social Security Administration.

It could be on a separate card (one more thing to lose) or printed on the same card (but that has disadvantages, too.... if you lose one, you lose both!!!).  Hope your new enterprise is going well.

Bob
Bob,

You're so full of solutions, when you open your mouth (touch your keyboard), a solution falls out!  :P :P :P

I love that idea! You're like Tony Romo in the Corona beer commercials... always has the right answers!  =D> :ok:

EdS

Wow I see more action on this thread than others.
Both sides dug in....football seems more appealing lol

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 04:11:12 PM
Bob,

You're so full of solutions, when you open your mouth (touch your keyboard), a solution falls out!  :P :P :P

I love that idea! You're like Tony Romo in the Corona beer commercials... always has the right answers!  =D> :ok:
Tim: Without your inspiration it may never have been conceived! LOL Seriously, I've thought about it for a while, off and on, trying to find a loophole or bugaboo. If anyone sees a problem, let me know. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 03:44:48 PM
Unless you are brown or dark-skinned, you have an advantage over me without even speaking a word. And there was nothing in my statement that stereotyped you in any way.

You most certainly did stereotype type me.  You made a judgment on me without knowing anything about me.  You assume I am somehow privileged.  You are wrong.  I had no advantages over you that I didn

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 03:54:53 PM
With all those items in the bill, it comes down to just 3 items.  One is your personal preference, one is a concern, and finally, there was an issue with holding up the voting rights of felons over fine payment.  We could debate some of your issues, but I am having a hard time seeing how your objects support the claim that HR1 is some sort of partisan hatchet job.

Again the document is over 700 pages.  There

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 04:15:44 PM
Tim: Without your inspiration it may never have been conceived! LOL Seriously, I've thought about it for a while, off and on, trying to find a loophole or bugaboo. If anyone sees a problem, let me know. Bob
GiantRevival raised an opposition to automatic registration in response to one of Rich's posts. I'm with him unless there is some type of safeguard in place to ensure that a deceased person with a SSAN isn't automatically registered to vote. I get that the numbers are probably miniscule but if there was something to ease fears and eliminate excuses against it, the better.

T200

Quote from: GiantsRevival2 on April 05, 2021, 04:25:30 PM
You most certainly did stereotype type me.  You made a judgment on me without knowing anything about me.  You assume I am somehow privileged.  You are wrong.  I had no advantages over you that I didn

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 03:52:22 PM
Mad? Far from it. This isn't my first foray in racial and social discussions. I'm far from mad. I don't think I've ever expressed any kind of anger on this board.

Not sure how you got that I'm mad because you think blacks are as capable as whites.

As far as what I'd prefer, it's pretty simple: don't waffle and say just ignore the racism then come back and acknowledge it. Admit that from Day 1 that foreigners came to this country with black people in chains, black people as a whole, have never gotten a fair shake. Once you have acknowledged it, then we can look at the myriad of ways the systems and programs put in place designed to keep black people from being successful have affected our place in society and business and continue to this day.

Yes, there are millions of blacks in the middle and upper middle class, despite those systems. Should have been a lot more.

Slavery was terrible.  But should I apologize for it? Most of my family came here in the early 1900

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 04:38:19 PM
GiantRevival raised an opposition to automatic registration in response to one of Rich's posts. I'm with him unless there is some type of safeguard in place to ensure that a deceased person with a SSAN isn't automatically registered to vote. I get that the numbers are probably miniscule but if there was something to ease fears and eliminate excuses against it, the better.

That

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 04:45:56 PM
I made an assumption based on your own words: "If I was black..."

I thought I made it pretty clear: if you are NOT brown or dark-skinned, then you have an advantage over EVERY person that IS brown or dark-skinned IN AMERICA. That is how this society is, for all intents and purposes. There is bias in skin color. Most times, it works AGAINST minorities.

Speaking of assumptions, who says we wouldn't enjoy each other's company despite the political differences?

That

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 04:38:19 PM
Tim: I do hear an occasional story about SSA paying benefits to a person who has been dead for many years, but I'm not sure how prevalent the problem is.

You know something, I was going to tell you I would think it over, but by the time I had typed the sentence, an answer came to me (as sometimes happens).

Every dead person has a death certificate issued by a doctor.  There would be a requirement that SSA be notified whenever a death certificate is issued.

Most patients have given a SS number in the process of receiving treatment, so those cases would be easy to report.

As for cases when the health care people don't have the decedent's SS number, they would send any other known personal info (name,address) to the SSA and they would determine if that person is in their records.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!