News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Super Bowl XXV-- The final drive and WIDE RIGHT

Started by LennG, November 14, 2007, 08:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

From You tube, here is the entire Bills final drive of SB XXV and the climatic Wide Right kick that made our GMen Champs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJj5BZwNzKI
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

PSUBeirut

Man, I miss Erik Howard.  One of the most underrated NT's ever.

bldevil

Thanks Lenn, that was needed this week.

Should the Bills have run 1 more play at the end?  Didn't they have 1 timeout left?  They were making yardage every play at the end of the game.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

DaveinMD

No timeouts left.  They had to spike the ball to kill the clock to set up the kick.

beaugestus

Did anyone else notice when they flashed on the screen he made only 1 of 5 FGs on grass 40 yds + that year?! It wasn't even close, at least at this time. ;D

Webster29

Being a Giant fan I just might be a little biased but when you stop and think about the entire game, I think it was one of the greatest football games of all time.  How many turning points, key plays, twists and turns were there during that game.  Hoss's protecting the ball in the end zone to prevent a Buffalo td, the great stand of the Giants defense after that safety, the long drive at the beginning of the 2nd half high lited by OJ's great run with the shot on Kelso, Ingrams catch and drive for that first down,the Bills drive at the end and then wide right.  I WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF WATCHING THAT GAME.

T200

This game lets me know that the Pats can be beat in the SB with the right type of ball-control offense and stout defense.  Buffalo had very similar weapons as the Pats do now, but they also had a much stronger and dynamic running game because of Thurman Thomas.  Defensively, what was key for the Giants was laying the wood on Andre Reed everytime he crossed the middle.  Oh man did they EVER hammer that dude!!!   =D>

Giants had the ball for 40+ minutes, effectively keeping Jim Kelly's K-Gun offense cold and on the shelf.  When they did get on the field, they couldn't get into a rhythm and get comfortable.  With some tweaks, we could do the same thing to NE in Week 17.  No doubt in my mind.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

bamagiantfan

Quote from: beaugestus on November 15, 2007, 05:36:28 AM
Did anyone else notice when they flashed on the screen he made only 1 of 5 FGs on grass 40 yds + that year?! It wasn't even close, at least at this time. ;D

Correct, and Norwood had never made one from that distance on grass.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Shoelessjoe

In my book the greatest SB ever.  There were several records that will never be broken.  The narrowest margin (1) and the fewest turnovers (0).  Are there any others? 8))

T200

The TOP (40:21) has a chance to stand for quite some time.

bamagiantfan

.........not to mention consecutive Superbowls lost.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

McGIANTS

I find it hard to believe that this Super Bowl is now 17 years ago. Talk about time flying. I don't mean to be using a pessimistic approach but I've always felt that the Bills LOST that game more than the Giants WON it. That was too close for comfort, especially if Norwood hit that FG. Thank goodness he missed it though.  #:-S

T200

I understand what you mean McG.  The Bills had the ball and it was basically all in their hands to either win it or lose it.  They lost it.  But, the other side to that is that it was the Giants that put themselves in the lead based on their own performance and subsequently putting Buffalo in the position of having to pull out a victory.  Considering the Giants were heavy underdogs to the K-Gun, Run-n-Shoot, No-Huddle offense - they did just as much to win it.

babywhales

I will be the first one to admit my memory might not be there, but I seem to recall the giants controlled the clock and designed the D to take away the passing lanes forcing the bills to beat them on the ground, is that correct?  If so then they controlled the clock as stated earlier and the bills were left without enough clock to match the score.  Perfectly implemented game plan. 
If my memory/assumptions listed above are correct I would say the giants beat the bills with a full and complete effort from the players and coaches. 

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

spider68

That game always stands out to me as a testament to the genius of Bill Bellichek.

The defensive gameplan, practically forcing the Bills to run and chew up clock, along with the offensive plan of dominating TOP, was masterful. Who would have the balls to play 2 down linemen in a SB?