News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants rookie CB Andru Phillips:

Started by MightyGiants, May 07, 2024, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

He is an intriguing prospect but for him to have 0 ints in college is a huge red flag for me. Cedrick Dort, Wisconsin's worst starting cornerback the past 20 years managed to pick off one despite having hands of stone and no ball skills. I don't know how much room there is in the NFL for non ball hawk cover guys there are in the NFL.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on May 07, 2024, 11:04:14 AMHe is an intriguing prospect but for him to have 0 ints in college is a huge red flag for me. Cedrick Dort, Wisconsin's worst starting cornerback the past 20 years managed to pick off one despite having hands of stone and no ball skills. I don't know how much room there is in the NFL for non ball hawk cover guys there are in the NFL.

The funny thing is that he did have 1 INT, but it was called back due to a penalty (the penalty was not on Phillips).

While I prefer ball-hawks, I have seen DBs who are skilled at preventing completions from doing well.  I think former Giant Adoree Jackson could be an example.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 07, 2024, 11:20:59 AMThe funny thing is that he did have 1 INT, but it was called back due to a penalty (the penalty was not on Phillips).

While I prefer ball-hawks, I have seen DBs who are skilled at preventing completions from doing well.  I think former Giant Adoree Jackson could be an example.

Jackson was a ballhawk at USC and fairly good his first couple years in the league. The other concern is that Phillips only had five passes defended last year. His last year at USC Jackson had 11. I hope I am pleasantly surprised but I think his career might be close to Darnay Holmes than to Jackson's.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on May 07, 2024, 11:40:01 AMJackson was a ballhawk at USC and fairly good his first couple years in the league. The other concern is that Phillips only had five passes defended last year. His last year at USC Jackson had 11. I hope I am pleasantly surprised but I think his career might be close to Darnay Holmes than to Jackson's.

MB,

In Adoree's three years with the Giants he had all of two INTs.  That isn't exactly "ball-hawk" material.  Hell, in his entire 7 year career he has only 4 INTs.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

B1GBLUE

At least he can tackle. if you cant give me picks, at least make a sure tackle. lot of cb's get 2-3 lucky int's a year and miss dozens of tackles. break up plays, and keep your guy from getting YAC. im ok with this from a 3rd round pick.

GloryDays

Jolly Blue Giant

There's plus/minus advantages to being a "ball hawk". A true ball hawk is always aware of the ball...more so than the player he's supposed to guard. Those who aren't ball hawks, tend to pay super close attention to the receiver to stop him from catching the ball, it is first and foremost in their repertoire (enter Andru Phillips a "sticky CB")

Last year, I was sold on Emmanuel Forbes Jr., even though he was very skinny and not a physical back. I wanted him for our first round draft pick, but he was already gone to the Commanders when we were on the clock. I remember groaning as I watched his name come off the board. Well, anyway, he was so bad in his rookie year that he was benched halfway through the season. With a PFF grade of about 50, he had a total of 1 takeaway for the year, whilst allowing 37 catches for 598 yards and three touchdowns in an abbreviated season (for him)

Previous write-up on Forbes (before the draft): "Emmanuel Forbes Jr. is one of the best ball-hawking cornerbacks in college football history, as he had 14 interceptions and ran an FBS record six back for a touchdown during his three seasons at Mississippi State...". But (and that's a big "but"), the NFL is a different animal than college. WRs are fully aware of all the tactics used by CBs and know how to mess up "ball hawks" who don't pay enough attention to the receiver's moves and pay too much attention to the ball

Suffice it to say, Dan Quinn was not happy with Forbes' performance. Whether or not Quinn can turn Forbes around is yet to be seen
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Early third-round defensive back choice Dru Phillips always seemed destined for Day 2, but a few scouts had a late-first-round grade on him — and one of the reasons was his football acumen. Multiple teams told me Phillips' combine interview was among their very best thanks to his ability to see the game and grasp defensive concepts.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/5/7/24151160/report-giants-had-usc-running-back-targeted-in-2024-nfl-draft?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_content=bigblueview&utm_source=twitter
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

This is my sleeper pick of the Giants' draft. Taken in the third round, he is definitely not a "leftover."

He has more brains than flash, but I'll take a boring CD every time. Just show up, shut up and do your job.

Barring injury, IMO he's the guy on the Giants most likely to have a long career (and then become a coach).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!