News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baseball rules

Started by LennG, May 09, 2024, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: Sem on Today at 05:13:26 PMHe strikes out. The swing supersedes the HBP.
But this question makes me ask....since the ball hit the dirt prior to the swing does the catcher have to tag the batter out? You know what I'm asking? The whole dropped third strike set of rules.

Yes he does, if 1st base is unoccupied or if there are 2 outs.

As long as the batter swings at a pitch, as you said, it takes president over being stuck by the pitched ball. I've had quite a few instances where a batter will square around to try and bunt and then the ball comes right in on him and hits him. If he offered at the pitch, regardless if he got hit, it is a strike and a sure argument from coaches who just don't know the rules.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

I thought that was probably the case.

I've actually seen the swing and HBP scenario a few times in MLB over the years, so that question was a bit easy.

LennG

Stay tuned, I'll try something a bit harder tomorrow.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss