News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Photography

Started by LennG, July 22, 2020, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Quote from: ozzie on July 24, 2020, 12:37:21 PM
Thanks guys.
I know what you mean. Pictures like that just look very calm, peaceful and inviting to me with maybe a little bit of mystery as to what's around that next bend?

Yeah, I think that's a large part of it for me.  I grew up on a dead end street. The street backed up to miles of woods which were my playground as a boy. Hiking, building forts, camping out, bonfires, and later beer bashes are all such a large part of my childhood/teen memories. Pictures such as yours take me back there.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 24, 2020, 08:46:41 AM
There are some outstanding artists in this group!

I will say, I took about 8 or 9 of my favorites and made them a rotating slide show for my computer wallpaper (sorry Tim, your Jeep didn't make the cut  :laugh:

All of you, those are great pictures. 

Tim, I love that color on your jeep, I was was really considering something similar when I got my car.  I love that affect they have now.
:P :P :P
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Shoelessjoe

After posting yesterday I took a walk down memory lane and found these tidbits from Albany camp 2003.

Left to right: Me, not sure perhaps Lenn or Ed could help, Gordon, Mojo, my sons Matt, and Luke.

Mr. Carson

Mr. Jones

Gordon and John (Spider)

LennG

Here is todays group:

Some odds and ends.

We are back to one of our favorite spots, the Bridge of Flowers. We got there after a rain, and the sun came out, but leaft some great shots with the rain drops on the leaves and flowers

A few more  shots of some of the amazing flowers that are there

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

It's funny, when I am out, either traveling or just having my camera, I think to myself, what might look good on a jig saw puzzle box, what might look good on a greeting card, what might be a great abstract that would appeal to maybe just a few people. I know Frank goes to photography class (I wish I could have made it last time), but I try to view other's works and get ideas from them. I go to many fairs where people put up their pixs for ribbons. We go to many local street fairs where maybe people like myself, try and sell some of their pixs, and I always browse thru them to get ideas of what MIGHT look good.

Here are a few pixs that I consider in that category. They might not appeal to everyone, but I think they are pretty cool in a way,

We were in New Hampshire and we went to a local fair, and there was a lady selling pix of shots thru a covered bridge with just the opening looking out on what is there. I tried a few and here is an example

Another time, we were driving down some back roads in Virginia and I saw this shot, which I had seen several times at shows. I thought it was a great shot

This is my version of a jigsaw puzzle box and I just love this pix

We were driving some where (it really doesn't make a difference), WE stopped at a local restaurant to eat and coming out I saw this collection of bottles and thought it would make a great pix

We go to Cape Cod every January when no one is there. We love to roam the beaches (yes it is cold) and there are just so many pix that one could take there. Here is a shot at a beach, after a snow, as the sun was setting. I am really working hard to figure out how to shoot directly into the sun and get something good out of it. I usually raise the speed to 2000 or even higher if I can. anyway, I saw this deserted beach chair from the summer, just looking out at the sun setting and thought, hey that could make a good pix.

And last, a bit of humor that I thought was just great. A sign on what was once a beach, but the tide had really come in strong and --where is the beach?

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

These are brilliant Lenn. Each one better than the last. I have a few like your covered bridge pic, I'll have to post them up. I think Sem & Jolly might like them too. I think pix like those are kind of like the wooded trails. Inviting and full of unknown possibilities if you follow the path.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Sem

Paradise Pier at California Adventure, which is adjacent to Disneyland. We took the grandkids to both parks.

A couple of fishing enthusiasts.

ozzie

Quote from: Sem on July 25, 2020, 01:02:41 AM
This one I took well after midnight in Sevilla, Spain. I wanted to show the church lit up at night, and as I was getting ready to take the picture a couple walked into frame. I took the shot and was initially pissed thinking they ruined the picture. I took it again without them, but I really think this one turned out better.

It's funny you say that, Sem. There are times when I can remember getting fed up with waiting "patiently" for folks to move out of the shot and then it turns out to be better than expected with them in it. I think sometimes the human element gives the shot both some life, a little bit of "movement" and some perspective. It would be hard to tell just how huge those church doors are without that couple walking in front. Great shot!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

Jim143

These were taken 2 years ago.  I went to DC to visit my son, be at his ReEnlistment Ceremony and go to a TSO Concert with him.  We had some time to kill after his ceremony but before the concert so we went to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.  The shrine is the largest Christian church in the United States and in North America and the second-largest church in the world, only behind St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican.  It was very impressive to see.

I took all these with my iPhone 8

This is the Church, taken from a Block away!

This is looking up at the front doors from the street.  These doors are over 14 feet tall 

This is right inside the door, looking down to the main alter.  There are more than 20 chapels and alters inside, many of them dedicated to different saints.

A smaller alter in one of the chapels

The lower floor had names etched all over it.  A lot of them were sponsors over the 100 years it took to build this church and others were "in memory of".

Two names the jumped out at me:

and

"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

ozzie

Just some fun with flowers....

John Mara

Jim143

These are the last pictures I took with my Nikon D70.  Within the properties of Ft. Clinch State Park in Fernandina Beach

These jetties are interesting.  They dont go out very far and that is important for this:  I follow a few sharks on Ocearch.  A couple of Tigers and a Couple of Great White.  There have been a few times that Kathrine (a great white, 14' 2,300lbs) has been within these jetties.

This is one of the roads I like to ride my motorcycle on (when I had it).  This is going back to the beaches area and the actual Fort.

This is the Amelia Island Lighthouse.  It's quite far from the water.  Not sure how it actually helped.

When I get back this afternoon, I have some very old pictures (almost 40 years ago) that were taken with my Olympus OM1 using (probably) Fuji ISO 200.  These are prints that have been sitting in a photo album for the duration and recently scanned, so the quality is not really there.  I'm almost ashamed to post them, but they are prints that I did. . . .
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

Sem

I of course love the second shot Jim. The canopy of trees is an excellent effect.

Ed Vette

To add to Frank's photos:

Bottom middle Dave Pagan, Dave's sister Joyce?, Terry Meisner and son Brent and Ed flanked by the lovely ladies

Dan, Frank, Bill, Steve Sem, Adam Bill's son, Sam Ed's Brother

Fred mbigblue

Brian BigHitter

Sam, Ed's brother

Frank Shoeless

Dan, Frank's son

Woody and Wife

Jaime, Linda Vette, Ed Vette, President Rick and wife Phillis

Linda, George's wife, Bob, Rich, Jim's wife, Jim, Louise Bill's wife

Paul and his wife Joyce and Jaime

Rich

Lenn, Ed and Bob

Rich, Jaime and Ed

Doris Lenn's wife and Linda

Paul, Ed and Jim

Jim, Ed, Rich and Ted Todge

Jim and John Weeze cooking his white perch

Jim and Wife Marie

Bill Webster29 and Cindy wife

Rick and Phyllis

Lenn and Doris

Bill and Louise

Ed and the legendary Dennis MurderHill

Brian and Daughter Jolene
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Hey Ed, Now you made me get my glasses. Did you hang these in your 'tiny' house???

Love them, of course.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

As I have said, when you find a great shot, or something you want to shoot, digital is so-o-o-o- great. You can take 20, 30, 40 or more pixs of whatever, and know that you will have a good one in the mix. I see people take a pix and then look at the camera to view the pix. That is fine, but I usually  just keep shooting.
So, we were on one of our usual treks to Maine, and as you view many of my pix, you will see I have a huge liking of lighthouses. Big ones,. small ones, round  and square ones, they are all photogenic and sometimes can really make an outstand shot. So, we were riding some where along the coast of Maine and we came to this lighhouse. If you remember the movie Forrest Gump. When he was running across the country, he went from coast to coast. When he got to Maine, he ran up the ramp to this lighthouse, turned around and started running back. So we are here and it was maybe 1/2 hour till sunset, so we hung around looking to get some nice pix of the lighthouse at sunset. (What else would a good photogrpaher do?) What I did get were some truly amazing pix. I am just including some here, as I must have over 50 of the same things, jsut different angles and time frames. Please tell me which one, or ones you like the best.

Charlie Weiss