News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is Daboll a good teacher?

Started by MightyGiants, Today at 07:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The weekend has finally giving me some down time.   I am reading Mike Lombardi's Football Done Right.   He was reviewing the greatest coaches in NFL history.   Being a good teacher is a common thread among the greats.  Other traits varied, but most have this trait in common.   I really haven't heard much about Daboll's teaching skills.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

It would be coming from players, and other coaches. Good point, Rich. I don't think Josh Allen has given him any credit, has he?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 08:31:51 AMIt would be coming from players, and other coaches. Good point, Rich. I don't think Josh Allen has given him any credit, has he?

I don't recall Allen talking about Daboll, in terms of his development.  I have only heard him mention his private coach.  Although, admittedly, I don't follow Josh Allen that closely.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I found a good article at the The Athletic (pay wall).   It doesn't sound like teaching is a strength.  Its not a weakness but it wouldn't be among his strengths.  His strengths are relationships with players, creativity, and collaboration.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2324003/2021/01/15/brian-daboll-bills-coaching/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I think it's hard for fans to really know. Maybe those of us who have attended live camp sessions (I have not) and have managed to be within earshot of Daboll or at least observe his body language can have some idea, but the reality is it's difficult for any of us to really know other than what we hear others say, which is only reliable some of the time, as people (especially people who work for him or play for him) tend to only say complimentary things.