News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What Ryan Dunleavy has heard about the Giants' draft intentions

Started by MightyGiants, April 22, 2024, 10:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Theres a golden rule in #NFLDraft reporting not to buy into info you hear the last week, when misdirection is highest. Im breaking the rule.

After a bunch of calls since Thurs, I believe:
- Drake Maye is #Giants most likely QB pick of the top 4 (Not to say he's their No.1-ranked QB)
- I think they'd be willing to trade up for him but sounds like #Patriots and #Commanders arent moving
- I think they would strongly consider trading down if JJ McCarthy is there at 6 and #Broncos and #Vikings want to trade up. But he would be in play at 6 if offers not strong
- I'd still bet 4 QBs go in top 5 picks and so Giants end up with a great WR. Id then watch Bo Nix and Michael Penix Jr

@MoveTheSticks
 left NYG out of McCarthy team list and it caught my attention because so many people were in my ear about Giants and JJ since NFL Combine

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1782402697414488368

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Giants Videos

@SNYGiants
Malik Nabers is "a player the Giants covet," and he is their pick at 6 in
@Connor_J_Hughes
's latest 2024 NFL Mock Draft:

"The Giants want a quarterback. The problem is that they're priced out of the top four selections. The Bears, Commanders and Patriots have zero interest in moving down. The Vikings simply have more at their disposal to trade up for McCarthy. The Giants roster, as Joe Schoen said at his pre-draft news conference, is more than a player or two away. They can't start giving away an abundance of their draft capital for one position, even if it's a quarterback. They can try to grab someone like Michael Penix Jr. (Washington) or Bo Nix (Oregon) in the second round.

Nabers, multiple sources told SNY, is a player the Giants covet. Most around the league expect him to be New York's pick if they can't get a quarterback (more and more unlikely by the day)."

The full top 10 here: http://on.sny.tv/FvTGpFw

https://x.com/SNYGiants/status/1782427572053180534
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

This just in: Giants are interested in a player in the first round.  /sarcasm/
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

katkavage

It's all going to come down to draft day. The first two, I think are set, but maybe not. Maybe Daniels is not number two, maybe Maye or McCarthy. I think if Maye or McCarthy are there for the Patriots, the Pats pick Maye. I don't see the Vikings giving up three number one draft choices (one next year) for McCarthy and maybe not for Maye either. Both players need a year on the sidelines, maybe even more than a year. The Vikings have a team ready to compete with good receivers, decent OL, and running backs. If the Vikes stand pat, they get Penix, who could prosper in that situation immediately. And they keep their other first round pick to fortify whatever they need. That leaves Arizona. They can trade with the Giants and get either Nabers and/or Harrison. Same with the Chargers. I would not give up the second round pick to the Chargers to move up one spot. I don't see the Raiders or Broncos giving up, or having enough to trade up. That leaves McCarthy. We shall see how the dominoes fall on Thursday.

Jolly Blue Giant

The internet has been ablaze this last week or so saying the Giants really want Maye. It's been so widely circulated that I know one thing: Giants are NOT interested in Maye...of course, I could also be eating crow Thursday night. Every rumor out there is nothing more than a red herring and it could have even been spread by the Giants for all we know...and we know nothing  :doh:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on April 22, 2024, 12:03:24 PMIt's all going to come down to draft day. The first two, I think are set, but maybe not. Maybe Daniels is not number two, maybe Maye or McCarthy. I think if Maye or McCarthy are there for the Patriots, the Pats pick Maye. I don't see the Vikings giving up three number one draft choices (one next year) for McCarthy and maybe not for Maye either. Both players need a year on the sidelines, maybe even more than a year. The Vikings have a team ready to compete with good receivers, decent OL, and running backs. If the Vikes stand pat, they get Penix, who could prosper in that situation immediately. And they keep their other first round pick to fortify whatever they need. That leaves Arizona. They can trade with the Giants and get either Nabers and/or Harrison. Same with the Chargers. I would not give up the second round pick to the Chargers to move up one spot. I don't see the Raiders or Broncos giving up, or having enough to trade up. That leaves McCarthy. We shall see how the dominoes fall on Thursday.

My best guess is the three QBs (in some order) off the board first are Williams, Maye, and Daniels.   I think JJ will be in play at 4.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

My prediction is that if JJ McCarthy is available at 6, the Giants will draft him as they want a QB. If he is not available at 6 and Malik Nabers is, the Giants will draft him.  That is my prediciton.

londonblue

Tucked away in the medical section of Albert Breer's long Monday Morning SI column today is the nugget that both Nabers and Thomas Jr have shoulder injuries flagged from the combine process that might see one, other or both need surgery after a season or two. It is the only place I have seen this so I thought it was worth flagging here.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on April 22, 2024, 12:28:45 PMTucked away in the medical section of Albert Breer's long Monday Morning SI column today is the nugget that both Nabers and Thomas Jr have shoulder injuries flagged from the combine process that might see one, other or both need surgery after a season or two. It is the only place I have seen this so I thought it was worth flagging here.

Thanks for the heads up on a good article (there are actually two articles).  Here are his Giants take:

New York Giants

First round: No. 6
Total picks: Six
Needs: WR, QB, OT, CB, DT
What you need to know: They've done all the work on the quarterbacks. They traveled to Chapel Hill to work out Maye, went to Ann Arbor to work out McCarthy and traveled to Seattle to work out Penix. They also had groups at the pro days, and did 30 visits with each. The quarterback I've heard them connected to most (by far) is Maye. If they can't get in position to get Maye, I could see the Giants standing pat and taking a receiver. I'd say this spot is the floor for Harrison. If he's not there, would the Giants take Washington's Rome Odunze over LSU's Malik Nabers? Given that Nabers has a bit of a reputation for being difficult to deal with/coach, and the Giants' own experience with another LSU receiver that had been like that, I could see it, with Odunze being about as clean character-wise as any prospect in the draft.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/22/2024-nfl-draft-team-needs-targets-predictions-picks

• Both of LSU's star receivers, Brian Thomas Jr. and Malik Nabers, have issues with their left shoulders. The risk here is considered relatively minimal—in both cases, there's a chance the player may have to have the shoulder surgically repaired after the 2024 season. Bryan Bresee, the Saints' first-round pick last year, had a similar situation with his shoulder coming into the draft last year.

• Penix is a big one because he's had multiple ACL tears and multiple shoulder surgeries. Exacerbating the problem, in the eyes of teams, is that he's not an overly big-framed person, meaning he might prove to be more susceptible to additional injuries in the NFL, especially with the hits he tends to take in the pocket. Conversely, he made it through his two seasons at Washington without missing time.

• Georgia WR Ladd McConkey's situation is similar to Penix in that he's dealt with a mountain of injuries, and he's not overly big (185 pounds). So the concern is how his body holds up with the hits coming from bigger, faster players in the NFL.

• A fun quarterback comparison that I didn't use in my Friday column because I was afraid it'd fly over younger people's heads—Rich Gannon for Bo Nix. An offensive coordinator gave me that one, and I really, really like it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/022/takeaways-nfl-draft-latest-buzz-rumors-medicals
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on April 22, 2024, 11:42:03 AMThis just in: Giants are interested in a player in the first round.  /sarcasm/

Lmao!  I was thinking the same think; this 'reporting' is nothing more than common sense.

j
Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 22, 2024, 12:05:14 PMThe internet has been ablaze this last week or so saying the Giants really want Maye. It's been so widely circulated that I know one thing: Giants are NOT interested in Maye...of course, I could also be eating crow Thursday night. Every rumor out there is nothing more than a red herring and it could have even been spread by the Giants for all we know...and we know nothing  :doh:

He's the most likely QB to fall to the Giants; hence, it's easy to 'report' it as a possibility, so they can take  credit for it down the road. I doubt they heard anything from any reliable source; instead, they're just employing common sense.  Like you, I don't believe any of it.

T200

Quote from: kingm56 on April 22, 2024, 01:38:25 PMHe's the most likely QB to fall to the Giants; hence, it's easy to 'report' it as a possibility, so they can take  credit for it down the road. I doubt they heard anything from any reliable source; instead, they're just employing common sense.  Like you, I don't believe any of it.
100% This!

Chatter from a few of my very reliable sources revealed that tomorrow is Tuesday.  =))
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

brownelvis54

So.....

The Giants want a QB, but if he is not there, then they want a WR (Nabers), but they may want to move up in the draft to get there guy, they may also consider moving down in the draft per a source familiar with the Giants......oh please get here soon Thursday
The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE