News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

One Wildcard Game will only be Available Via Streaming

Started by uconnjack8, May 15, 2023, 07:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggs

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 16, 2023, 09:27:26 AMIt's a shame Aerio lost their law suit and is no longer broadcasting.  They had set up antennas and were receiving signals from local markets all over the country and streaming them.  So if you were in the NY market you could watch NBC Denver for instance. 

I got it on the same deal because my kids love the Despicable Me movies.  I have it marked on my calendar to cancel before it auto-renews.  Its just NBC on demand basically.

I will add that what bothers me about this is that I already get the NFL ticket and if the Giants play in that WC game that is only available in market I will have to get the Peacock app (which I will) to see it. 
Correct me if I am wrong, but play-off games were never available through Sunday Ticket, no?

uconnjack8

Quote from: coggs on May 16, 2023, 09:32:27 AMCorrect me if I am wrong, but play-off games were never available through Sunday Ticket, no?

Correct, but all were televised nationally so you didn't need Sunday ticket to watch them.

uconnjack8

Quote from: coggs on May 16, 2023, 09:31:05 AMYes, but costs of being a cord-cutter are going up.  My wife and I stay on top of it.  Really all depends on what you watch that you consider a "must have" and then what you watch that you watch because it is available but could do without.  Especially as these services start carrying content exclusively.  Whether it is Netflix original or a show that is only available on Hulu.  Eventually you wind up spending more.

You can definitely spend more I guess.  From my perspective its been $90/month savings.  Part of that is because we had some apps even with cable.  We now pay $50 for the internet and about $90 for apps...Before it was $230/month which included a monthly charge for the boxes (which is ridiculous). 

I think part of it is using whatever deals are out there as well.  We have Sprint for our phones (now T-Mobile) and they had a Free Hulu offer.  Because we get Hulu for free with the phones our Disney+ package is half the price.   

T200

They won't get a dime from me to watch a streamed playoff game. Someone will livestream it. And I'll find it. Reddit is your friend  :P
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

coggs

Quote from: T200 on May 16, 2023, 09:53:49 AMThey won't get a dime from me to watch a streamed playoff game. Someone will livestream it. And I'll find it. Reddit is your friend  :P
Definitely.  Any game in any sport that is televised somewhere, can be found for free online.  Sometimes, you just have to try a few of the streams before you find one that works really well.

DaveBrown74

All of this streaming stuff, whether you like it or not, has become a cumbersome administrative headache to be honest. I preferred not having to put all this thought into this stuff and having to do an inventory of what I like etc and then a comparative cost analysis. I get that it's better in some ways than just having cable and that's that, but it's a pain in the butt managing all of it unless you just don't care about incremental costs and just mindlessly ship everything in and are fine with that.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 16, 2023, 10:54:31 AMAll of this streaming stuff, whether you like it or not, has become a cumbersome administrative headache to be honest. I preferred not having to put all this thought into this stuff and having to do an inventory of what I like etc and then a comparative cost analysis. I get that it's better in some ways than just having cable and that's that, but it's a pain in the butt managing all of it unless you just don't care about incremental costs and just mindlessly ship everything in and are fine with that.
I still pay Xfinity for my cable and internet. Depending on the package, they include a lot of the premium streaming options, such as Paramount+, Disney+, HBO Max, etc.

My contention is with them exclusively streaming a playoff game and forcing out-of-market fans to pay for a program that was previously free nationwide regardless of the two teams playing.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

coggs

Quote from: T200 on May 16, 2023, 12:22:24 PMI still pay Xfinity for my cable and internet. Depending on the package, they include a lot of the premium streaming options, such as Paramount+, Disney+, HBO Max, etc.

My contention is with them exclusively streaming a playoff game and forcing out-of-market fans to pay for a program that was previously free nationwide regardless of the two teams playing.
I hear you, but remember for now it is a 1-time thing.  If this is a flop and Peacock does not see an uptick in subscribers that they can trace to the game, then they (and other standalone streaming services) likely do not make this offer again. 

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 16, 2023, 10:54:31 AMAll of this streaming stuff, whether you like it or not, has become a cumbersome administrative headache to be honest. I preferred not having to put all this thought into this stuff and having to do an inventory of what I like etc and then a comparative cost analysis. I get that it's better in some ways than just having cable and that's that, but it's a pain in the butt managing all of it unless you just don't care about incremental costs and just mindlessly ship everything in and are fine with that.
I think right now, that is a major reason why the cable providers are staying afloat.  Pay the fee, gets lots of channels and watch what they show.  Especially now they are offering shows on-demand after the initial airing so people can still binge a series if they wait til the end if they choose.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on May 16, 2023, 01:05:48 PMI think right now, that is a major reason why the cable providers are staying afloat.  Pay the fee, gets lots of channels and watch what they show.  Especially now they are offering shows on-demand after the initial airing so people can still binge a series if they wait til the end if they choose.

No doubt. And I realize that the attitude I described is lazy, but I think it's a reality for a lot of people. If you work a full time job, have kids, have a hobby or two, have some sort of social life, and don't spend literally every other spare minute you have left in front of the tube, who the hell wants to deal with doing all this analysis and admin?

Obviously, it's getting to a point where you're close to not having a choice anymore though.

ozzie

I like football as much as the next guy, but as soon as the NFL (or any sport) becomes PPV, I'm out.
Don't care if it's the Super Bowl, I won't be paying to watch it.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 16, 2023, 01:08:19 PMNo doubt. And I realize that the attitude I described is lazy, but I think it's a reality for a lot of people. If you work a full time job, have kids, have a hobby or two, have some sort of social life, and don't spend literally every other spare minute you have left in front of the tube, who the hell wants to deal with doing all this analysis and admin?

Obviously, it's getting to a point where you're close to not having a choice anymore though.
I wouldn't say it is lazy at all.  More like you do what is convenient for you.  Most of the apps connected to a specific channel are available if you are a subscriber through cable.  But, I do have people with whom I work who will get Netflix for a month to binge watch a ton of stuff and then cancel.  Plus, many of the 20-30 somethings will share passwords.  Companies like Netflix know it goes on and from what I understand will not take measures to prevent it.  If me, you, and MG are sharing a password, they know that by preventing it  the 2 borrowers are not going to automatically open an account and may lose the actual account holder.  Want $10 guaranteed or risk it to go for $30?

zephirus

I'll be joining those that boycott the game.  I don't mind streaming games - it's the provider.  I lovingly refer to some of the people on the board here as the "old man brigade" and completely understand not wanting to stream ANY game.  For me it was easy - I am still under 40 and have a young family - I already had an Amazon Prime subscription so the content on there was already accessible to me for Thursday Nights.  And that's the differentiator for me.  I don't NEED Peacock, for anything.  I pay for Netflix and ESPN+.  I have a shared Disney, Hulu and HBO account.  I won't pay for anything new for a single game, nor would I even subscribe and cancel before the promotional free period is up. 

AZGiantFan

Quote from: zephirus on May 16, 2023, 02:30:57 PMI'll be joining those that boycott the game.  I don't mind streaming games - it's the provider.  I lovingly refer to some of the people on the board here as the "old man brigade" and completely understand not wanting to stream ANY game.  For me it was easy - I am still under 40 and have a young family - I already had an Amazon Prime subscription so the content on there was already accessible to me for Thursday Nights.  And that's the differentiator for me.  I don't NEED Peacock, for anything.  I pay for Netflix and ESPN+.  I have a shared Disney, Hulu and HBO account.  I won't pay for anything new for a single game, nor would I even subscribe and cancel before the promotional free period is up. 

As a member of the "old man brigade" I've been watching streaming exclusively for more than 5 years.  I have had Peacock for years because of the Premiere League games, so I'll get this game, as you get games on Amazon Prime.  As do I.  I would suggest that appending 'lovingly' really doesn't lessen the insult of ascribing things to old age that can easily be explained by different tastes.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

zephirus

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 16, 2023, 04:26:29 PMAs a member of the "old man brigade" I've been watching streaming exclusively for more than 5 years.  I have had Peacock for years because of the Premiere League games, so I'll get this game, as you get games on Amazon Prime.  As do I.  I would suggest that appending 'lovingly' really doesn't lessen the insult of ascribing things to old age that can easily be explained by different tastes.

Should I get off your lawn too?