News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

One Wildcard Game will only be Available Via Streaming

Started by uconnjack8, May 15, 2023, 07:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViewFromSection129

Like I said in another thread... greedy ass owners trying to collect every penny.  I didn't watch one Thursday night game this year on Amazon and didn't even miss it. Maybe I will just not care about the wild card game too.  Owners better watch out... they could lose fans this way.

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

zephirus

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 16, 2023, 06:09:58 PMI'd rather you'd just stop stereotyping.

And I'd rather you stop being so sensitive to a moniker that was, I believe, created and used regularly by some members of said "brigade".  Looks like we're both disappointed.

T200

Quote from: coggs on May 16, 2023, 01:01:33 PMI hear you, but remember for now it is a 1-time thing.  If this is a flop and Peacock does not see an uptick in subscribers that they can trace to the game, then they (and other standalone streaming services) likely do not make this offer again. 
Sadly, I don't think this is a one-time thing. Too much money involved. I'm sure lots of folks were thinking (hoping) non-Thanksgiving Thursday night football wasn't going to happen. Same with European and Mexico games, 17 games, etc. The 32 billionaires have one thing in common: greed. More is never enough. Even if this first try fails, they won't stop. They will learn from their 'mistakes' from this go 'round, tweak it and find a way to make even more money from the same product.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

Television at some point will be mostly viewed through streaming. 

I think the question here is how much money will fans spend to watch games at home.  I think there are limits and the NFL owners are all about finding out what that limit is.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 17, 2023, 11:08:20 AMTelevision at some point will be mostly viewed through streaming. 

I think the question here is how much money will fans spend to watch games at home.  I think there are limits and the NFL owners are all about finding out what that limit is.

I agree with both of these points.

nb587

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 17, 2023, 11:08:20 AMTelevision at some point will be mostly viewed through streaming. 

With the enormous amounts of money spent gambling, another revenue source for the owners, I think there will be way more money spent by consumers on football games being streamed.  If you have a good sized bet on a game, you'll spend a few extra dollars to watch an otherwise meaningless game.  And, they'll make more money when inertia checks in and one forgets to cancel

TONKA56

Quote from: coggs on May 16, 2023, 09:31:05 AMYes, but costs of being a cord-cutter are going up.  My wife and I stay on top of it.  Really all depends on what you watch that you consider a "must have" and then what you watch that you watch because it is available but could do without.  Especially as these services start carrying content exclusively.  Whether it is Netflix original or a show that is only available on Hulu.  Eventually you wind up spending more.

Nothing is a must have. I went entirely without a television from 1993 to 2008.

uconnjack8

Quote from: TONKA56 on May 17, 2023, 01:10:53 PMNothing is a must have. I went entirely without a television from 1993 to 2008.

Sounds like an interesting story.  I would expect that more from a Downeasta or someone from the county.

coggs

Quote from: TONKA56 on May 17, 2023, 01:10:53 PMNothing is a must have. I went entirely without a television from 1993 to 2008.
that's great.  great contribution to the thread.  But, if you read and then use a little context, you should be able to figure out that I am not comparing a tv package to water, food, shelter, etc.  I said, "...what you consider a 'must have'...."   But, since you need further clarification what that means is "....if YOU were debating on what channels you feel need to be in the package to make the purchase worthwhile..."   

Is that better?  Does that clarification make you happy?

brownelvis54

I f anyone is interested....

6. Get a Year of Peacock for just $20
While Peacock Premium costs $49.99 per year when you get an annual subscription, for a limited time you can snag this deal that drops it to $20 with a code. You can also get the discount off of the Premium Plus (the no-ads tier) for $69.99 (normally $99.99/year).

How to Take $30 Off Your Annual Peacock Subscription
Click here to activate the deal.
Click "Pick a Plan."
Toggle to "Annual Plan," then choose Premium or Premium Plus.
Click "Have a Promo Code?" and enter code N2TEWDZZ.
Enter your payment and contact information and complete the sign-up process.
Starting at $20 / yr peacocktv.com
Save $30 on an annual subscription with code

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/the-best-national-streaming-day-deals-big-discounts-for-hulu-sling-tv-paramount-peacock-directv-stream-and-more-may-2023/ar-AA1brftp?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=11166013519d4730b8c1c30dc1a8f4b3&ei=7

The KING is in the building