News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lombardi: Why NFL rookies struggle to make an impact

Started by MightyGiants, May 17, 2023, 10:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

A good article, and he specifically mention of Banks

Deonte Banks - New York Giants         

To win the Defensive Rookie of the Year requires noticeable production.  Sacks or interceptions catch the voters' attention.  Christian Gonzalez of the Patriots or Devon Witherspoon of the Seahawks might be great cover corners their first season, but if they don't have interceptions, few will notice.  In the Giants' scheme, the corners are asked to cover early in the route, as they expect the pressure to force the quarterback to throw the ball early.  Banks has excellent instincts and shows the burst at the top of the route. If the ball is released too soon, he can be in position for an interception.  The same logic applies to Emmanuel Forbes of the Commanders.  If Washington's front pressures, he will make plays on the ball.  I like Banks more because of the scheme. The Giants plan to get the ball out quickly with overloaded pressures and attacking the protection schemes.  Washington relies on their four rushers, and while this might result in sacks, it often doesn't carry over to turnovers, which is why Washington had a league-low nine interceptions last season.

To win the award, the scheme must match the talent and most of all, the team needs to win games.  So as you read and review all the rookie evaluations during the next few months, remind yourself unless those factors align, the impact won't be great—at least this year.  Much like BUD/S training, there will only be 25 rookies competing for the award—and most will be looking to have a better season in 2024.

https://www.vsin.com/nfl/lombardi-why-nfl-rookies-struggle-to-make-an-impact/

EDIT TO ADD-  Lombardi thinks Bank has the potential to be defensive rookie of the year
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

A lot of the same logic applies when FA change teams. Teams try to draft/sign players who 'fit' their scheme, coaching, locker room but there is a ton of projection in the evaluation.

Yet, every year some rookies have great debut seasons (not always sustained) and more have OK years where you see flashes that sometimes mature well. Early snaps can build solid foundations, particularly at 'developmental' positions.

Banks, Schmitz, Hyatt will all play early. We should expect inconsistencies but they are replacing below league average players so they do not have to be perfect.

This season it is arguably more important that at least three of Thibs, Neal, Wandale, Flott & Ezeudu emerge as above average starters.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

One point I thought of. Mike Lombardi is good friends with Wink.  So I think Lombardi listing Banks as a potential DROY is likely due to some inside intel from Wink
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

The use of the word impact in the article is incorrectly used. He's describing players who fly above or below the radar of fans and media. A Corner who shuts down his opponents and QB's shy away certainly has an impact. Mobile QB's and those who roll out will expose a Corner who has early anticipation for huge gains. He also failed to see that Banks loses his man off the line and relies on his speed to close the distance. He will make an aggressive tackle on short receptions in Zone but he has a lot of learning to do before he can be considered Shut Down Corner. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 19, 2023, 08:50:05 AMThe use of the word impact in the article is incorrectly used. He's describing players who fly above or below the radar of fans and media. A Corner who shuts down his opponents and QB's shy away certainly has an impact. Mobile QB's and those who roll out will expose a Corner who has early anticipation for huge gains. He also failed to see that Banks loses his man off the line and relies on his speed to close the distance. He will make an aggressive tackle on short receptions in Zone but he has a lot of learning to do before he can be considered Shut Down Corner. 

You could prove to be right.

I think the chances are good that Banks does make an impact.  I appreciate that CBs have a steep learning curve, but I think these factors will mitigate the learning curve.

1)  Banks has perhaps the best DB coach in the NFL in Henderson

2) The Giants wouldn't have drafted Banks in round one if he was tough, smart, and dependable (which should speed things up).

3) Banks had 3 different defenses in college so he is experienced in picking up new systems

4) 4.35 speed with a 1.49 10-yard split will allow Banks to cover up many mistakes

5) With the defensive upgrades Wink will likely be able to generate more pressure forcing QBs to throw sooner rather than later
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE