News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Life: What really goes on in Draft Room

Started by MightyGiants, May 18, 2023, 11:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

In this episode of "Giants Life: The Process" presented by Oakley, get an inside look at what really goes on in the Draft Room. Tension mounts as GM Joe Schoen navigates the board and even gets an assist from coach Brian Daboll in executing a trade. The rookies then arrive to tour their new home and meet their future teammates. Meanwhile, the Giants sign Pro Bowler Dexter Lawrence to a contract extension and veterans have some bonding time of their own at a roller rink.

https://www.giants.com/video/giants-life-nfl-draft-2023-joe-schoen-brian-daboll-deonte-banks-jalin-hyatt
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

The roller rink gave me the heebie-jeebies!  All I could imagine was McKinney taking a dive and messing up his other hand
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Trench

The video links from the Giants TV website never seem to work or are extremely hard to get to play. 2023 one would think it would simply be a click.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on May 18, 2023, 12:06:40 PMThe video links from the Giants TV website never seem to work or are extremely hard to get to play. 2023 one would think it would simply be a click.

Try this

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on May 18, 2023, 11:59:13 AMThe roller rink gave me the heebie-jeebies!  All I could imagine was McKinney taking a dive and messing up his other hand

I would have to think the roller rink is safer than the practice field.  It looked like a great bonding experience for the guys.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

This video showed me something I have always felt.  NFL teams dont make draft decisions by ranking players and being so dogmatic to a ranking likely to be wrong but instead have a small group of favorite prospects at each draft spot, one of whom they hope to get.  Throughout this video Joe always mentioned it.  They do due diligence and come up with favs and pick them or chase them up or fall back to get them.  Their focus is on a few not all 250+ players

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on May 18, 2023, 01:51:01 PMThis video showed me something I have always felt.  NFL teams dont make draft decisions by ranking players and being so dogmatic to a ranking likely to be wrong but instead have a small group of favorite prospects at each draft spot, one of whom they hope to get.  Throughout this video Joe always mentioned it.  They do due diligence and come up with favs and pick them or chase them up or fall back to get them.  Their focus is on a few not all 250+ players

Joe,

I have posted (along with @Jolly Blue Giant) what NFL draft boards look like (they are broken out into tiers and by position).   While old-time GMs used to espouse (while most not believing) "best player available", the reality is it's best player available at a position of need.

In round two it appears the two best players available at a position of need (center and WR) were JMS and Hyatt.  I wouldn't say their grades were exactly the same but they were likely very close, if not the same.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I have noticed if it's anything team related you always see Ward, Mckinney, and Jackson for everything and anything team building. Jackson gets paid stupid money he doesn't have to be there but is.

Also I don't know if it's just me but every time I see Lawrence Tynes on video including during the draft it's like he's trying to play the part of cool guy but failing... he's so cringe to me that I just fast forward it.

ralphpal1

Doesn't J Hyatt look a little like kid from kid and play..   especially the smile

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 18, 2023, 12:58:45 PMI would have to think the roller rink is safer than the practice field.  It looked like a great bonding experience for the guys.

I'm just surprised gen z still roller skate; all the rinks in my former state have closed. I thought it was a forgone pastime.

Rosehill Jimmy

I understand next offseason will include a game vs the SF Bay Bombers
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 18, 2023, 02:39:51 PMJoe,

I have posted (along with @Jolly Blue Giant) what NFL draft boards look like (they are broken out into tiers and by position).   While old-time GMs used to espouse (while most not believing) "best player available", the reality is it's best player available at a position of need.

In round two it appears the two best players available at a position of need (center and WR) were JMS and Hyatt.  I wouldn't say their grades were exactly the same but they were likely very close, if not the same.

Rich - I think it's more in which they develop a real personal relationship with a small handful.  Whether they are the best or not, the video does not say but it sounds like they are guys who the Giants like personally.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on May 18, 2023, 11:37:50 PMRich - I think it's more in which they develop a real personal relationship with a small handful.  Whether they are the best or not, the video does not say but it sounds like they are guys who the Giants like personally.

Joe, you are on to something.  While there are 259 players drafted in the NFL, many teams will operate with draft boards with only 100 or so names on them (some even a bit less).  Since Schoen wants "tough, smart, dependable," I am sure his draft board is on the smaller side.   We have seen Schoen operate an "all hands on deck" style while prepping for the draft.  By that, I mean the coaching staff, the scouts, and the higher-up front office guys all pound the pavement and work the phones to get to know the prospects (pretty critical since it's difficult to discern smart, tough, and dependable from just film.

I personally think this is a great approach as you can see the team isn't drafting strangers, which is a good thing.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE