News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How Early Do NFL Teams Start Scouting for Next Year’s Draft?

Started by MightyGiants, May 19, 2023, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Joe BannerFormer NFL Executive

QuoteNo sooner had this year's NFL draft been completed than someone asked me about 2024. How soon, he wanted to know, do teams start scouting for next year's draft? It's a good question with a simple answer.

Immediately.

It depends on what teams we're talking about and how aggressive each is. But what they all share is this: Their scouts are not off work today. They're just doing more long-term studies – usually watching tape – before they travel to college campuses in the late summer and fall.

Much more:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/front-office-commentary/how-early-do-nfl-teams-start-scouting-for-next-years-draft/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

I wonder how do you even become a scout?
Also,  I always wonder why they don't hire more scouts or is it
Too many cooks spoil the pot

MightyGiants

Quote from: ralphpal1 on May 19, 2023, 01:45:44 PMI wonder how do you even become a scout?
Also,  I always wonder why they don't hire more scouts or is it
Too many cooks spoil the pot

Most scouts are either former coaches or players at some level.  It usually takes "knowing" someone or finding a way to get a foot in the door.   As for more scouts, I have often wondered that myself.  Still, the Bengals clearly have done a pretty good job drafting, and they have the smallest scouting budget in the league.   The Bengals supplement their scouts with their coaching staff (after the season ends).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Whatever a team see to its benefit consistent with its habits and resources. There are no fixed timetables, and few rules. Some guys are being scouting while still in high school even if they can't play before their original class graduates.

Cheers!

Jolly Blue Giant

Half the guys in next year's draft have already got a full dossier on them by scouts...even those due to come out in the draft the following year. As soon as the regular college season gets underway, they'll be on it and add to the notes they already have going back on kids since they left high school (and probably have solid info on their high school games). They are probably going over stats on players from last year to see if they missed some kid and move someone up on the list to get more information. It's not like they wait to put notes down on players until the kid's last year before a draft
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 19, 2023, 08:52:04 PMHalf the guys in next year's draft have already got a full dossier on them by scouts...even those due to come out in the draft the following year. As soon as the regular college season gets underway, they'll be on it and add to the notes they already have going back on kids since they left high school (and probably have solid info on their high school games). They are probably going over stats on players from last year to see if they missed some kid and move someone up on the list to get more information. It's not like they wait to put notes down on players until the kid's last year before a draft

During the off-season, teams are putting together scouting plans.   That is where aggregate scouting services like BLESTO (which the Giants belong to) come into play.   Those services have reports on all the up-and-coming prospects.  These reports allow teams to better plan their scouting during the college season
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I think when scouts watch film or attend a game to see a prospect for this draft and other younger players stand out they make notes to track them for following draft.

Example:  scouting UGA's Darnell Washington for this draft but also seeing Brock Bowers for the following draft.