News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Playoff Team?

Started by nb587, May 20, 2023, 08:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nb587

The Giants would have to win 3 games in their conference plus win 2 games against the AFC East plus 2 games against the NFC West plus 2 of 3 against a combination of the Saints, Raiders and Packers.  This would yield a record of 9-8.

I didn't take into account home or away status.   I'm trying to evaluate, at a way too early time, if playoffs are feasible given a tougher schedule.  I'm thinking 9-8 could sneak in.  However, I also think we can beat one of "better" teams but i could see a loss to an "inferior " one,

Any thoughts?

DaveBrown74

The NFC is terrible, so we are absolutely capable of making the playoffs. I think 9-8 is certainly doable, as is 10-7 even, but a few question marks would need to swing positively. Among them:

-Neal improves significantly.

-The passing game overall is more productive.

-We have at least average health luck.

-We don't go 1-5 in the NFC East again.

If some or more of these go our way, I could see us winning 9 or 10 games. I don't view that as some major stretch.

nb587

Beat Washington twice & Dallas once.  Win 2 from Jets, Bills, Dolphins and Pats.  I think that's difficult.  Beat Cardinals and Rams.  Beating 49ers and Seattle?  Also difficult.  Last, hard to see beating Saints and Raiders and Packers but doable.  I'm thinking 9 because I dont think it's likely that we win every game we should win.  Stuff happens.

As an aside, most every team has improved.

Painter

Last season they made the postseason as a wild card; one of 3 NFCE teams to make the POs but with a hardly impressive 1-4-1 Division record and then finished 2-5-1. Quite obviously, most of their winning came early.

As I have said before, I'm willing to bet the over on the 8 1/2 wins if they start their first 10 games at no worse than 5-5 with no less than a split with the Cows. If they can do something like that, I might start thinking playoffs again with a little luck and God's grace.

In any case, that's when they find out whether they can actually become a "winner" with DJ as QB. Personally, I'm a believer.

Cheers!

nb587

Quote from: Painter on May 20, 2023, 09:39:25 PMLast season they made the postseason as a wild card; one of 3 NFCE teams to make the POs but with a hardly impressive 1-4-1 Division record and then finished 2-5-1. Quite obviously, most of their winning came early.

As I have said before, I'm willing to bet the over on the 8 1/2 wins if they start their first 10 games at no worse than 5-5 with no less than a split with the Cows. If they can do something like that, I might start thinking playoffs again with a little luck and God's grace.

In any case, that's when they find out whether they can actually become a "winner" with DJ as QB. Personally, I'm a believer.

Cheers!
I just checked the win totals with Fan Duel and Draft Kings.  Both had the Giants at
7 1/2.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on May 20, 2023, 09:18:12 PMAs an aside, most every team has improved.

Many teams also have key players in their 30s. For those teams, age is an issue with each year that goes by.

Not really the case with us. We have older players, but nobody we're really dependent on as a key contributor who is 32 or older.

Gman329

When we break down the schedule this way, one thing that really jumps out at me: Giants MUST beat the Cowboys week one!  This is the biggest opener, one that will have ramifications in December, that we've had in a long, long time. 

Philosophers

Quote from: Gman329 on May 21, 2023, 08:10:12 AMWhen we break down the schedule this way, one thing that really jumps out at me: Giants MUST beat the Cowboys week one!  This is the biggest opener, one that will have ramifications in December, that we've had in a long, long time. 

I'll start even earlier.  The Giants need to win their preseason games.  Winning breeds confidence. 

nb587

Quote from: Gman329 on May 21, 2023, 08:10:12 AMWhen we break down the schedule this way, one thing that really jumps out at me: Giants MUST beat the Cowboys week one!  This is the biggest opener, one that will have ramifications in December, that we've had in a long, long time. 
I sort of agree.  My thought is that the Giants must be at least 2-1 after the first 3 games.   3-0 will suggest a very good season.  0-3 will mean the opposite.  1-2 means tread water until we get to the home field part of the season.

DaveBrown74

I get all the above points, but I can never put do or die type stock into week one. I have hard this argument made before but I'm not personally on board. Especially with the season now being 17 games instead of 16.

And that is not to say week one is not important, especially this year. Obviously it's a division home game against a hated rival that we're closing the gap against. It definitely matters. But I'm not really a big believer in the idea that it's going to somehow shape the season. Last year was started 6-1 and then ended up 3-6-1. The seasons have a lot of turns in them. To me what's the most important is being in position to be in the playoffs come December, being as healthy as possible going into the postseason, and closing out with a strong run of play in December/early Jan in games that mean something. Give me that team all day over the team that has a good September.

MightyGiants

This time last season, how many thought the Giants would be a playoff team in 2022, much less win an away game in the playoffs against a 13-win team?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 21, 2023, 09:27:36 AMI get all the above points, but I can never put do or die type stock into week one. I have hard this argument made before but I'm not personally on board. Especially with the season now being 17 games instead of 16.

And that is not to say week one is not important, especially this year. Obviously it's a division home game against a hated rival that we're closing the gap against. It definitely matters. But I'm not really a big believer in the idea that it's going to somehow shape the season. Last year was started 6-1 and then ended up 3-6-1. The seasons have a lot of turns in them. To me what's the most important is being in position to be in the playoffs come December, being as healthy as possible going into the postseason, and closing out with a strong run of play in December/early Jan in games that mean something. Give me that team all day over the team that has a good September.
Jeff, I don't like how they trended their last ten games. I still believe they broke any momentum they had going by resting starters and DJ for Webb when they needed the work. This year the Bye week is in December. Taking a week off is rest but it also takes them a week away from focus. Maybe with a full year in the systems and some better players, they can elevate their game against better teams.

As JimV would say, one game at a time. I agree with Larry, if they can be 5-5 after ten, I'll be cautiously optimistic.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

We Just have to start beating Winning teams. We know how to beat the bad teams, now let's figure out how to consistently beat winning teams. Because we face a lot of those this season.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 21, 2023, 09:48:37 AMWe Just have to start beating Winning teams. We know how to beat the bad teams, now let's figure out how to consistently beat winning teams. Because we face a lot of those this season.

https://youtu.be/U7fjDS0jKiE
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin