News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

2 Wr Articles

Started by Jclayton92, May 21, 2023, 10:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Was reading through Giant news this morning and ran across these.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/20/pff-names-new-york-giants-wandale-robinson-breakout-candidate/

PFF has Robinson as a breakout candidate for the Giants despite being injured last year.

"Robinson's rookie season was cut short by an injury, and 220 of his 229 offensive snaps came in a five-game stretch between Week 6 and Week 11. However, over that span, he was targeted on 22.8% of his snaps to lead Giants receivers and rank 18th among receivers in the NFL."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/21/new-york-giants-jalin-hyatt-named-rookie-drafted-by-wrong-team/

2nd article is some guy saying Hyatt was drafted to the wrong team.

"While Hyatt might contribute occasionally as a field-stretcher, he isn't likely to see heavy usage early. He's too raw to consistently line up on the perimeter, and the Giants already have a developmental speed project in 2022 second-round pick Wan'Dale Robinson."

"On top of everything else, New York simply doesn't lean heavily into the pass and ranked 25th in attempts last season. It all adds up to Hyatt having very limited production through at least the majority of his rookie contract."

"Both Trevor Lawrence and Josh Allen can push the ball down the field more consistently than Daniel Jones. The Jags and Bills also have No. 1-caliber receivers in Calvin Ridley and Stefon Diggs, respectively, who could keep the early expectations for Hyatt low and command defensive attention when he's on the field."

"The Giants and their quarterback cannot provide Hyatt with the same luxuries. For a pass-catcher who will eventually want a free-agent payday, that's unfortunate."

Ed Vette

Give DJ an extra half second and let's see what he and Hyatt can do.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 21, 2023, 10:16:07 AMGive DJ an extra half second and let's see what he and Hyatt can do.
Yeah I like Hyatt, people seem to be really hard on the kid despite him having ridiculous production last season. Also really pumped for Wan'dale in particular but also Hodgins development. 

Jolly Blue Giant

Don't count out Parris Campbell. He's going to be the breakout player this season IMO. 6'0" and ran a 4.31 at the combine. He tied Curtis Campbell for the fastest player in Ohio State history. Not only that, he has good hands and runs good routes and has been working with DJ pretty much since the day he found out he was going to be a Giant. I love the pictures of DJ walking with his arm around Campbell's shoulders and talking with him as they head back off the field in practice. That personal connection is going to work in Campbell's favor

Colts drafted him in the second round (59th overall) and in the two years he was with the Colts, he broke his foot in the first year and suffered a sports hernia his second year. Missed a lot of both seasons, but when he was healthy, he made tough catches and looked like a star at times. If he stays healthy, he will surprise a lot of people how quickly he stretches the field and becomes a favorite target of DJ

Throw in Waller, Hodgkins, Slayton, and healthy Wan'Dale, rookie Hyatt (and maybe Bryce Ford-Wheaton 6-4 who ran a 4.38 at the combine, will see some field time at some point this year) and that makes for some serious weapons on the offense...plus of course, Saquon (and he will be signed no matter what anyone says) catches like a receiver as does Eric Gray. And if Shepard is actually completely healed, he's always been a steady receiver who gets tough yards and a constant thorn in the side of defenses

Anyway you look at it, opposing teams are not going to be able to squeeze the box like they did last year. Our speed is going to make defenses have to completely change their game plan when facing us. Stacking the box isn't going to work for them...which has the side benefit of the Giants having a much better ground attack. Even DJ should get more yards with his legs as defensive backs will have to move back from the line to deal with the chaos of trying to cover everyone

Last year we had receivers to stretch the field horizontally, but not so much vertically. With Shepard and Wan'Dale on the IR, we lost quite a bit of the horizontal stretching until Hodgins came along.

It's going to be a fun year, even if we don't blow everyone away. We are going to have a very competitive team on the field that no one is going to want to play
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Trench

Hopefully you are right. Makes sense

GMenRF

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 21, 2023, 10:10:37 AMWas reading through Giant news this morning and ran across these.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/20/pff-names-new-york-giants-wandale-robinson-breakout-candidate/

PFF has Robinson as a breakout candidate for the Giants despite being injured last year.

"Robinson's rookie season was cut short by an injury, and 220 of his 229 offensive snaps came in a five-game stretch between Week 6 and Week 11. However, over that span, he was targeted on 22.8% of his snaps to lead Giants receivers and rank 18th among receivers in the NFL."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/21/new-york-giants-jalin-hyatt-named-rookie-drafted-by-wrong-team/

2nd article is some guy saying Hyatt was drafted to the wrong team.

"While Hyatt might contribute occasionally as a field-stretcher, he isn't likely to see heavy usage early. He's too raw to consistently line up on the perimeter, and the Giants already have a developmental speed project in 2022 second-round pick Wan'Dale Robinson."

"On top of everything else, New York simply doesn't lean heavily into the pass and ranked 25th in attempts last season. It all adds up to Hyatt having very limited production through at least the majority of his rookie contract."

"Both Trevor Lawrence and Josh Allen can push the ball down the field more consistently than Daniel Jones. The Jags and Bills also have No. 1-caliber receivers in Calvin Ridley and Stefon Diggs, respectively, who could keep the early expectations for Hyatt low and command defensive attention when he's on the field."

"The Giants and their quarterback cannot provide Hyatt with the same luxuries. For a pass-catcher who will eventually want a free-agent payday, that's unfortunate."

The narrative is merely to support their bias of DJ.  We've seen DJ can throw the deep ball just like the guys mentioned - may not be the kind of arm that Richardson or Herbert but adequate enough.

I like how they did not mention about the struggles and injuries in the oline which is why we relied more on the run game and DJs legs for 75% of the season.

We didn't not "air it out" till like the away game versus Washington when the run game was struggling badly.

They didn't even touch up on the weapons we brought in like Waller and Campbell who will give us a threats to blow the top off a defense.  Slayton was really the one threat we have if any.

Now we have Waller who runs a legit 4.4 40 for a TE.  Not to mention Campbell, Slayton, and Hyatt all have 4.3 speed.

It's OK, I like being the underdogs.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 21, 2023, 10:19:38 AMYeah I like Hyatt, people seem to be really hard on the kid despite him having ridiculous production last season. Also really pumped for Wan'dale in particular but also Hodgins development. 

Maybe it is just me, but Robinson and Hyatt seem like very different receivers, with Robinson being smaller and quicker and Hyatt being bigger and faster. 

So, "While Hyatt might contribute occasionally as a field-stretcher, he isn't likely to see heavy usage early. He's too raw to consistently line up on the perimeter, and the Giants already have a developmental speed project in 2022 second-round pick Wan'Dale Robinson.", doesn't make sense to me.

I don't see them as occupying the same lane in the WR room.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Sometimes you see them saying the words and still not getting it

Both Trevor Lawrence and Josh Allen can push the ball down the field more consistently than Daniel Jones. The Jags and Bills also have No. 1-caliber receivers in Calvin Ridley and Stefon Diggs, respectively,

Could those two points be related???  :hmm:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 21, 2023, 12:38:06 PMMaybe it is just me, but Robinson and Hyatt seem like very different receivers, with Robinson being smaller and quicker and Hyatt being bigger and faster. 

So, "While Hyatt might contribute occasionally as a field-stretcher, he isn't likely to see heavy usage early. He's too raw to consistently line up on the perimeter, and the Giants already have a developmental speed project in 2022 second-round pick Wan'Dale Robinson.", doesn't make sense to me.

I don't see them as occupying the same lane in the WR room.
I completely agree, I think Hyatt plays Z for us. He's never played on the line of scrimmage so I don't see that happening now, plus he works because of his free releases and he won't get those if he plays X or in the slot. Robinson om the other hand is our future at the slot, how he was utilized In the Detroit and Jags game will be how we use him going forward. With Waller, Slayton, and Hyatt taking the top off I think Robinson feasts on those Yac intermediate routes like he did at Kentucky.

If I had to vote who our first 1,000 yard wr is, I'd vote Robinson assuming reports that he'll be good to go for camp are true.

ralphpal1

This is the first year if D Jones playing time you can't point to anything being bad
The line should be better and good enough for a QB to do his thing
The WR are good enough
Our TEs should be good enough
Even though we might not be amazing in anything
We are very good in everything and that usually works
If  Hyatt is a 2nd round grade there is no reason he shouldn't do great unless every other WR is great

MightyGiants

Quote from: ralphpal1 on May 22, 2023, 11:22:57 AMThis is the first year if D Jones playing time you can't point to anything being bad
The line should be better and good enough for a QB to do his thing
The WR are good enough
Our TEs should be good enough
Even though we might not be amazing in anything
We are very good in everything and that usually works
If  Hyatt is a 2nd round grade there is no reason he shouldn't do great unless every other WR is great

The Giants have more speed at WR.  That should force defenses out of stacking the box, which should open things up more for Barkley (and Gray).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

interested to see how many WR's we keep.  and will they see Waller as a WR or TE for roster counting purposes???
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 22, 2023, 11:36:25 AMThe Giants have more speed at WR.  That should force defenses out of stacking the box, which should open things up more for Barkley (and Gray).

Speed (and length) seemed to be the agenda this off season. Just look what we've added so far since last season's players:

Parris Campbell: 4.31 (was once timed 4.26 - holds Ohio State record for fastest player ever in their history - since 1890)
Jalen Hyatt: 4.4 at the combine, but has been timed 4.31 on other occasions. His long speed is noticeably faster than the shorter 40 yd sprint would indicate
Tre Hawkins III: 4.39
Deonte "Tae" Banks: 4.35
Bryce Ford-Wheaton: 4.38 (incredible for a 6'4" guy)

Pretty obvious (to me anyway) the FO decided they wanted to add speed and length to the squad  :Giants:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

spiderblue43

Not to mention wrs get dinged..miss time always. There is much more depth now for a 17 game slate..plus speed. Saying Hyatt will warm the bench is nonsense..he'll get opportunities. :greetings:

Jclayton92

Quote from: President Rick on May 22, 2023, 12:07:02 PMinterested to see how many WR's we keep.  and will they see Waller as a WR or TE for roster counting purposes???
No matter where he lines up this season on any given play he'll be classified as a TE.