News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The makings of a consistent playoff team

Started by Philosophers, May 22, 2023, 12:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

I always think that given the spate of injuries that likely affects an NFL team that one of the most important necessities to a playoff team is depth.  For years the Giants lacked both starting talent as well as depth.  We'd see injury runs to OL players in which the subs frankly should not even be in the league.  Now, I want to clear my head and relook at the Giants depth.

Offense - barring an injury to DJ, I think the Giants did a nice job of adding depth to RB with the drafting of Eric Gray, the additions of both Jalin Hyatt and BFW to WR, the signing of Waller (as a starter) and the selection in round 2 of JMS.  The Gmen invested so heavily at Guard last season with Eze and McKethan and the addition of Bredeson that we seem to be much deeper there.  Where do I worry now?  Maybe a backup center as well as swing OT.

Defense - The selection of Riley and signing of A'Shawn Robinson really helped the interior DL to provide the depth needed over a long season.  Edge is a position of concern as other than Thibs, it seems the other edge players struggle to stay healthy.  I see a hole there.  At ILB, we have bodies but we don't seem to have proven NFL playing bodies.  All this Beavers chip on his shoulder is just noise.  He has not shown anything due to injury to be counted on.  In the secondary, we have BODIES, lots of them, but if we parse through them, I am less certain there is not some exposure back there.  Robinson now seems to be the backup boundary CB with the drafting of Banks, but he has not proven to be a healthy player.  At nickel we seem fine.  We are short at safety clearly with one starter opposite McKinney, plus backups at both safety positions.  That is the biggest hole on defense IMHO.

At the end of 2021 season, I thought we had lots of holes to fill.  Now, after two drafts/offseasons, Joe Schoen has plugged many holes.  I think we have less now for sure.  It seems to me that barring some catastrophic disappointment or huge injury, our biggest holes going into 2024 offseason/draft will be edge and safety.  If the Giants don't re-sign Barkley and Gray becomes a starter, then we will also need another RB. 

Jclayton92

I think we don't need a swing Tackle as we already have our backup tackles on roster. We are just one of the few teams that has different backups for each tackle spot as EZ is most definitely the backup to Thomas with Hamilton being 3rd, and Phillips is the backup to Neal with Peart for the time being 3rd though I don't think he makes the final 53.