News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If the Giants wish to trade down there appears to be interest

Started by MightyGiants, April 18, 2024, 01:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooners56

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 18, 2024, 03:57:59 PMMy interest in trading down hinges on two things:

1) The trading partner offers a top 12-15 pick

and

2) We get a 1st rounder next year as part of the trade.

If they can achieve those two objectives, I'm all in on a trade down.

It is reported the Broncos are wanting to trade up and are Ok with including Patrick Surtain in the trade. If that is true, I'd be ok with moving to pick 12 while acquiring a stud CB and still having pick 12. Surtain and Banks would be an awesome CB duo. Should allow Dex, Thibs and Burns to eat!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

expatriot

I am on record as not being a Jones fan BUT how often does a team have a shot at getting a real IMPACT player (of which the Giants have very few)??? So unless something really weird happens, take Nabors or Odunze at 6. both of whom have a real shot at being legit IMPACT players, more so than any of the QB's which are always a crap shoot.(ask the 49ers)

katkavage

Quote from: expatriot on April 19, 2024, 02:43:23 PMI am on record as not being a Jones fan BUT how often does a team have a shot at getting a real IMPACT player (of which the Giants have very few)??? So unless something really weird happens, take Nabors or Odunze at 6. both of whom have a real shot at being legit IMPACT players, more so than any of the QB's which are always a crap shoot.(ask the 49ers)
For a receiver to have an IMPACT, he needs a QB to get him the ball. So one piece of the IMPACT puzzle will be missing if they daft Nabers or Odunze.

DaveBrown74

I'm normally a fan of trading down in certain situations, but I don't want to do it this year. Our offense is just a mortal embarrassment. If we're not going to get a QB, getting an elite young receiver with all pro type talent would be me second choice of things to do. I want a guy who legitimately strikes fear in the hearts of opposing DCs. A guy like Nabers would do that.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 19, 2024, 03:02:28 PMI'm normally a fan of trading down in certain situations, but I don't want to do it this year. Our offense is just a mortal embarrassment. If we're not going to get a QB, getting an elite young receiver with all pro type talent would be me second choice of things to do. I want a guy who legitimately strikes fear in the hearts of opposing DCs. A guy like Nabers would do that.
DB, I'm not discounting the impact of someone like Nabers, but how effective would that impact be if the QB was not good enough to feed him the ball?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on April 19, 2024, 03:07:18 PMDB, I'm not discounting the impact of someone like Nabers, but how effective would that impact be if the QB was not good enough to feed him the ball?

Not nearly as, clearly. The hope would be we would get a QB upgrade in the following year.

I never said it was ideal. A lot of things about our team are not ideal. Most, in fact.

spiderblue43

Vikings seem to have their qb in sights...and are trading up..obviously. But they are going to watch things play smartly, I would believe. Hard to believe the Giants would be a trading partner..though there is always hope.

Who gets picked ahead of our heroes?

GloryDays

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 18, 2024, 02:15:27 PMThat's the thing about trading down.  Eventually, you need to get some blue-chip players on your team.  If you are constantly trading down to create quantity, it's more difficult for you to add those coveted and badly-needed blue chippers

Rich, you are very good with stats; so may be there is one that shows in the past 20 drafts, how many 6th picks, or the average of 5th to 7th picks lets say, have ended up being blue chips? I suspect the answer is not more than 50%. Heck, look at our own high picks like that. Then may be you can compare that stat with those picked a little later in the first, plus the compensation they can get, at least a second... what is the chances of just those two picks, either one becoming a blue chip?
I am pretty sure that hitting it big with a 6th pick is less likely than doing so with a 15th plus a 47th pick.

GloryDays

Schoen might have received calls for a potential trade, may be from a couple or even one club; but by making that statement, he increases the value of the trade, were it to materialize.

nb587

If the Giants had lost to the Eagles on the last game, all things being equal, would we have the 5th pick or would it still be the 6th?

Brooklyn Dave

I have said this numerous times but it is worth repeating again . The last time we traded down we lost out on Micah Parsons .

UKGiantsFan

I think my preference would be to sit and pick.If its not for QB & Giants the 3 WR's close together we take one of the two left (Odunze please!).

In terms of a trade out, I would target a position with thin depth in the draft AND that rates highly in a cluster. Drop back into the teens and that's TE, CB & DT more so than WR. Brian would obviously
love if if we took Bowers  :P  DT Johnny Newton is one of my "my guys" and fits the scheme perfectly. Not as big a fan of Byron Murphy II but could see an attraction. They're way above DT3 this year. Which CB fits us best?

OL is the deepest position in the draft so unless a grade is ridiculously high compared to the rest of the cluster we like, we pass on that.