News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- MLB has moved All Star Game out of Atlanta

Started by Painter, April 02, 2021, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 06, 2021, 08:38:18 AM
Tim: Not me.  I don't have a cell phone.   :o :o :o
Congratulations! Agents will be knocking on your door momentarily with you new chip implant!  :P =))
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 06, 2021, 08:30:12 AM
Tim: Stopping dead people from voting would be much easier with a voter ID of the type I suggested, when combined with a requirement that doctors who sign death certificates forward the decedent's social security number to the Social Security Administration on a simple form.  Then the SSA would mark the person deceased in their records.  The system won't automatically clear out dead people who are voting now, but none of the people who die after the law is enacted will ever be able to vote, because the Voter ID Number of everyone who votes from now on will be run through the SSA's records to confirm that they are a real person who SSA believes to be living.  That was a long-winded explanation, but I think it's readable. LOL
It shouldn't be too hard to build that feature in. I think it would be a key factor and feature to have in the system.

T200

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on April 06, 2021, 08:34:56 AM
I read they are now moving the game to Colorado. 

Higher taxes then Ga which will affect the players and the voting laws in Ga are actually better/more flexible then the voting laws in Colorado.  Now this is what I read I haven

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on April 06, 2021, 08:43:45 AM
It shouldn't be too hard to build that feature in. I think it would be a key factor and feature to have in the system.
Tim: You would think that statement MUST be true, but SSA has been working on the problem of eliminating dead people since the agency was created, and they still have an occasional case where they've been sending checks to a person for many years and someone has been cashing them.  Of course there are severe criminal penalties already in the law for people who do that, and there is already a requirement for relatives of a person who dies to report to SSA whenever a social security recipient dies, but sometimes a person has no relatives (or other situations exist that you can conjure up yourself) and those people fall through the cracks.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 06, 2021, 08:50:34 AM
Tim: You would think that statement MUST be true, but SSA has been working on the problem of eliminating dead people since the agency was created, and they since have an occasional case where they've been sending checks to a person for many years and someone has been cashing them.  Of course there are severe criminal penalties already in the law for people who do that, and there is already a requirement for relatives of a person who dies to report to SSA whenever a social security recipient dies, but sometimes a person has no relatives (or other situations exist that you can conjure up yourself) and those people fall through the cracks.

There are several breakdowns in the system. If someone moves and they register to vote in another State, the system doesn't remove the previous registration as it's not universally speaking to each other. I don't know if a person voted in two different States if that would even be picked up. Death confirmations should automatically delete the registration as they should a Social Security Account but it doesn't as it has to be reported by the executor/trix of the estate.

I believe every citizen should be automatically registered and have a Government issued picture
ID Card that can serve multiple purposes for Driver license endorsement, Voter ID etc. There should be no charge if it's just for Travel, Vaccine and Voter ID but it should be updated for photo on at least a ten year period.

The cyber security eventually will become secure as technology evolves and people will be able to vote online and at multiple sites with their bar coded ID. There is a need to have voting laws universal across the States. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Higher taxes then Ga which will affect the players and the voting laws in Ga are actually better/more flexible then the voting laws in Colorado.  Now this is what I read I haven
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 06, 2021, 09:10:23 AM
There are several breakdowns in the system. If someone moves and they register to vote in another State, the system doesn't remove the previous registration as it's not universally speaking to each other. I don't know if a person voted in two different States if that would even be picked up. Death confirmations should automatically delete the registration as they should a Social Security Account but it doesn't as it has to be reported by the executor/trix of the estate.

I believe every citizen should be automatically registered and have a Government issued picture
ID Card that can serve multiple purposes for Driver license endorsement, Voter ID etc. There should be no charge if it's just for Travel, Vaccine and Voter ID but it should be updated for photo on at least a ten year period.

The cyber security eventually will become secure as technology evolves and people will be able to vote online and at multiple sites with their bar coded ID. There is a need to have voting laws universal across the States.
Ed: I think having the SSA be in charge of Voter ID numbers solves almost all of the problems you noted (and others) simultaneously. The legislature should pass a law ordering SSA to assign everyone who has a social security number a second number to be used for voting.  Then, when people change locations the number goes with them.  They can register to vote in multiple states if they meet state law requirements (i.e., if they are a resident) but they can only use the Voter ID number once, because each number would be unique, nation-wide and computers would track which numbers were used. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Slugsy-Narrows

Can also use this as a universal card for conceal carry and firearm purchase.  The NRA would never sign off on it as a fear of mass registry etc etc but as a gun owner who believes in background checks etc this could also serve to facilitate that as well.

I will say I worry about to much power in Government hands and one number or way to track and monitor but let

MightyGiants

I often wondered how many snowbirds with homes in the north and the south vote twice.  It certainly would be easy enough to do and I am unaware of any mechanism that prevents them from voting in person in one state and absentee in the other.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

uconnjack8

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on April 06, 2021, 09:32:02 AM
Can also use this as a universal card for conceal carry and firearm purchase.  The NRA would never sign off on it as a fear of mass registry etc etc but as a gun owner who believes in background checks etc this could also serve to facilitate that as well.

I will say I worry about to much power in Government hands and one number or way to track and monitor but let

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 06, 2021, 09:44:14 AM
I agree in principle, however the current outrage is all about Georgia. Fairly or unfairly, most people are not interested in comparisons between Georgia's laws and other states' laws. The focus is entirely on the decision Georgia made and what the perceived motivation was for this decision. Whether or not they're still in fact less stringent than some other states is not really moving the needle for people. So even if their landing spot for this game has more restrictive laws, the criticism of that will fall on deaf ears for the mainstream media and all those who are applauding MLB's decision. This is entirely about Georgia right now.

You really want to look at the direction of any given state's laws, rather than comparing them.   You want to see if a state is making it easier or harder for people to vote.   One thing with Covid, we saw that many more people were willing to cast ballots if they didn't have to stand on line for hours to do so.   The goal should be to have as many Americans participate in our voting process, not try and make it less by creating laws that make voting more restrictive.

Comparing states side by side to see if they are doing the right thing is like comparing the 40 times of WRs and NTs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on April 06, 2021, 09:32:02 AM

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 06, 2021, 09:50:01 AM
I also think Gun background check laws should be universal across the US. As you know, NJ is among the strictest in the nation and we had to get not only a background check but fingerprinted and we have to apply for a permit to purchase in a 90 day window. My brother just goes to the store, they do a check and he walks away with his new toy. Other states have open carry or concealed. I like the idea of one ID with the ability to add applications like we do adding a motorcycle endorsement to our license.
I agree!  Even as a gun owner and strong believer in the 2A I want those who can

FL GMAN

MLB is moving the All Star game to Colorado. Colorado has 2 less early voting days than Georgia. MLB Commissioner Manfred has not said if he will give up his membership to Augusta National, also in Georgia. The voting odds are against it.