News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants are 5th in overall RAS (relative athletic score)

Started by MightyGiants, May 25, 2024, 07:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Kent Lee Platte
@MathBomb
·
May 23
5. New York #Giants
Avg #RAS 7.75

The G-Men, like several others ranked this highly, seem to have made changes over the last few years with the intent of making their roster more athletic overall. After final cuts, they might even jump their highly rated 2023 roster.

https://x.com/MathBomb/status/1793725369390100762

https://x.com/MathBomb/status/1793727283485880798
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Interesting that the Rams, whom I suspect any observant/unbiased fan would consider one of the smarter and more forward-thinking franchises in the league, are last in this.

Additionally the Ravens, Dolphins, 49ers, Texans, Bills, and Bengals, all of whom have been pretty successful recently, are in the 19th to 30th range.

Meanwhile the Colts (number one), Jets, Giants, Saints, and Falcons are all in the top 10.

At first glance at least, it's hard to see much of a positive correlation between average RAS score and team success.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 25, 2024, 07:38:19 AMInteresting that the Rams, whom I suspect any observant/unbiased fan would consider one of the smarter and more forward-thinking franchises in the league, are last in this.

Additionally the Ravens, Dolphins, 49ers, Texans, Bills, and Bengals, all of whom have been pretty successful recently, are in the 19th to 30th range.

Meanwhile the Colts (number one), Jets, Giants, Saints, and Falcons are all in the top 10.

At first glance at least, it's hard to see much of a positive correlation between average RAS score and team success.

I suspect it's a bit flawed to just average up the team.  Projected starters should be weighed more heavily and there seems to be some positions were RAS is more important than others
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 25, 2024, 07:43:26 AMI suspect it's a bit flawed to just average up the team.  Projected starters should be weighed more heavily and there seems to be some positions were RAS is more important than others

Good point. The work could be more refined than the above. One could also look at the this over a much longer time period.

Still, I would say the result of that cursory observation is interesting enough to warrant further investigation.

For me, as an amateur observer, I will say that I am always happy to see a high RAS on an incoming player versus a low one, but I am not such a big fan of having a firm, hard rule of only drafting players with very high RASes. I feel like that narrows your scope in a draft.

Philosophers

Right.  BFW brings up the average a lot by himself yet he is nowhere near being a productive player on the team — at least not yet.

Painter

Best described as the paralysis of over analysis which all too often leads to a delusion conclusion.  :hit:

Cheers!

BluesCruz

This is a good thing.  Sonny Jurgenson was not athletic and thrived so I think you have to factor in talent.
Eli Manning moved around like he was pushing a wheelbarrow. 

Where are we on the relative talent scale?  Id say bottom third, to hazard a guess
but improving

Under Joe Judge I'd say we were bottom of the pack
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jolly Blue Giant

It shows that we have athleticism and speed based on a younger version of themselves after spending a month preparing for the combine. Few players can match their combine scores, as they are heavier and stronger. The real measurement should be between players' ears and the size of the heart (motivation, study habits, teachable, innate ability to read others on the fly, and personal desire to be the greatest)
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 25, 2024, 07:38:19 AMInteresting that the Rams, whom I suspect any observant/unbiased fan would consider one of the smarter and more forward-thinking franchises in the league, are last in this.

Rams rely on other methods to evaluate athleticism, like on-field tracking. Helped them find Kupp and Nacua.

AZGiantFan

Athletic prowess is a good and valuable thing, but it's not the same as talent.  I wonder if they had RAS in his day how Jerry Rice would have scored.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 29, 2024, 03:16:47 PMAthletic prowess is a good and valuable thing, but it's not the same as talent.  I wonder if they had RAS in his day how Jerry Rice would have scored.

He didn't run as slow as many say

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2021/06/did-jerry-rice-run-47-forty.html
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE