News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF video - Gives the Giants an A- draft grade -

Started by sxdxca38, May 01, 2024, 11:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

They really liked their draft, video down below.

Enjoy!

MightyGiants

Former GM Jeff Diamond gives his grade on the Giants

NEW YORK GIANTS: B+
Despite the rumors, I never believed the New York Giants would pick a first-round quarterback. Daniel Jones was a solid quarterback who won a playoff game in 2022 without a premier wide receiver. As he comes off his ACL injury, he's undoubtedly happy to welcome an elite receiver prospect in Malik Nabers.

The former LSU wideout is explosive and close in ability to Marvin Harrison Jr. Nabers had 44 receptions of 20-plus yards over the last two seasons (and 14 touchdowns last season) playing in the SEC.

Second-rounder Tyler Nubin was the top-ranked safety in the draft. He defends well against the run and pass and will replace Xavier McKinney.

Andru Phillips adds talent at cornerback and Theo Johnson is an athletic tight end —  a good fourth-round value. He's insurance if Darren Waller retires or gets hurt and a possible successor. Tyrone Tracy brings speed and explosiveness to the backfield in the later rounds, and Darius Muasau can be a sixth-round find at linebacker and on special teams.

Here is Diamond's resume

Jeff Diamond is a former general manager of the Minnesota Vikings and team president of the Tennessee Titans. He was selected NFL Executive of the Year after the Vikings' 15-1 season in 1998.

He now works for the NFL agent group IFA based in Minneapolis and does other sports consulting and media work along with college/corporate speaking. You can follow him on Twitter @jeffdiamondNFL.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

A bit of a stretch calling Theo another "Mark Bavaro"...LOL, but I'd take that. Personally, I'm hoping he is more like Jason Witten who always knew how to be open and get the first down and the QBs best friend. Of course, my feelings are directly proportionate to my disgust with how Witten single-handedly made life miserable for Giants' fans for years. I'd like to return the favor to Dallas  :yes:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on May 01, 2024, 11:42:59 AMKiper gave the Giants a B.

Here was his write-up

Top needs entering the draft: Wide receiver, cornerback, quarterback

The Giants were on the clock at No. 6 overall Thursday night, faced with a fascinating decision: Would they take quarterback J.J. McCarthy -- which would have been an admission that they regret the Daniel Jones extension from the 2023 offseason -- or would they get a true No. 1 wideout for Jones in either Rome Odunze or Malik Nabers? They could start fresh under center or they could give Jones another year with the playmaker he has never had.

Ultimately, I think they made the right call, prioritizing a pass-catcher in Nabers (6), who is electric with the ball in his hands. Jones had a disappointing start to last season and then tore his ACL, but he showed his talent in 2022, when New York made a surprising run to the playoffs. Now he's going to have one more year to prove he's the guy, or the franchise will move on in 2025.

I would have taken a few other safeties ahead of Tyler Nubin (47) in Round 2, but you can't deny his playmaking ability; he had 13 career interceptions for the Golden Gophers. Dru Phillips (70) is a late riser who played a lot of slot coverage snaps in his career. With Darren Waller's future up in the air, I liked the pick of Theo Johnson (107) early on Day 3. He's my fourth-ranked tight end in the class.

This is a small class, but all four of the Giants' top selections should have significant roles this season. Nabers might end up being the most-targeted player on the team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE