News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

So when Eli says stick with DJ

Started by Philosophers, November 16, 2023, 02:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So when Eli says stick with DJ

Dgoodmantrublu

Eli is supporting his friend. Because he's a really nice guy. The GM and coach have a different job.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 16, 2023, 02:43:00 PMI actually voted for "Eli knows more than fans about QB development" because that is a 100% true statement, and I would never be convinced otherwise.

What I don't know is exactly what Eli meant. If "bringing Jones back" simply refers to 2024, then I don't think that's much of a statement because that is clearly the only realistic thing they can do given his contract. Does Eli know how prohibitive it is to cut him after this season? Does he understand that it would be basically impossible to trade Jones with that contract?

If all Eli meant was that they should not do anything other than bring him back for the year 2024, then this is a complete non-story.

If on the other hand Eli is suggesting that the Giants commit to Jones long-term, which would involve restructuring his contract to get that $47mm 2024 cap hit down but would commit them to more years with him, then that is a horse of a different color. But I don't think he said that.

Dave - I would bet my life Eli does not mean for only 2024.  If you listen to him he believes in DJ 100%

Giant Obsession

Eli has never been a rock the boat guy in public.

That said, "no one knows what is said behind closed doors."
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Jclayton92

A Qb can have all the intangibles in the world but if he can't process defenses or actually throw the ball he's worthless.

Daniel Jones is missing a very basic understanding of NFL defenses. He doesn't process pre snap or post snap like he should, and his decision making is bad. Couple that with how trigger shy he is and and his reluctance to throw beyond 7 yards and you have a bad Qb.

Philosophers

How do you not see that Eli believes in this kid long term?  What else does he have to sY?  If he did not, he would not have to answer it.

Dgoodmantrublu

He's going to always support his friends. That doesn't mean he's making an evaluation as a GM would.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2023, 02:44:45 PMHere is what Eli Manning said:

"They saw Daniel Jones, they were around him. They had him for a year and they trusted that, 'Hey, this is a kid that has a bunch of upside,' " Manning told Andrew Marchand and John Ourand, referring to the new Giants regime that started in 2022. "He's still in the first year of the offense, played extremely well. He can run, he's tough. He can make the throws. Just unfortunately, this was a tough year with injuries. ... And so, I think you still got to trust your quarterback.

"He's going to come back, he's going to be healthy. He works hard. He's a great teammate. He does all the intangible things really, really well, and I think they got to trust him, can put some guys, get help around them and continue to grow with these teams. I think when you sign your key guys to contracts, Saquon [Barkley], Dexter Lawrence, Daniel ... you put these guys, you keep adding guys around them and you don't just say, hey, switch it up right away because you have one bad year."

Eli: The bold-print part is what some members question (or completely disagree with).

Others believe he is not aggressive enough, regardless of whether or not they believe he can "make the throws."

Mostly, however, I'll bet that the vast majority of members agree with everything else Eli said.

Bob

PS. By the way, I did not vote.  My choice would have been to observe that Eli knows how owners/management think and IMO is directly reflecting their thoughts to the greatest extent possible.  In other words, he's trying to be straight with the fans, not to protect Jones or just because he's a "loyal Giants fan" himself.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Philosophers on November 16, 2023, 04:11:03 PMHow do you not see that Eli believes in this kid long term?  What else does he have to sY?  If he did not, he would not have to answer it.

A non-answer would've been interpreted as not supportive of Jones. Eli has been around long enough and is more media savvy than he gets credit for. Eli did the classy thing, which is support a guy he played with and knows and I'm sure he hopes proves to the Giants they don't need to hit reset on the QB position.

kingm56

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on November 16, 2023, 05:25:34 PMA non-answer would've been interpreted as not supportive of Jones. Eli has been around long enough and is more media savvy than he gets credit for. Eli did the classy thing, which is support a guy he played with and knows and I'm sure he hopes proves to the Giants they don't need to hit reset on the QB position.

Exactly, H. Honestly, was anyone expecting Eli to state they should move on from DJ, or that's he's not the guy?  Because, that's just not who Eli is...

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on November 16, 2023, 05:30:22 PMExactly, H. Honestly, was anyone expecting Eli to state they should move on from DJ, or that's he's not the guy?  Because, that's just not who Eli is...

If Eli wanted to answer it, he could also have given a one sentence positive response.  He chose not to and instead was much more detailed.  I think he believes in DJ.  I am just pointing it out. 

DaveBrown74

I guess the follow-up question here is does Eli have any actual influence over what moves the team makes.

y_so_blu

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 16, 2023, 03:15:00 PMHe's right in the sense you don't blow it up after 1 bad year.  But what about 4 bad years out of 5?  I think we know at this point the ceiling that Jones brings along with him.  There was at least hope after last season that maybe he was finally turning a corner with Daboll/Kafka better pieces around him would get him to that next level...but nope.  Didn't happen.  The pieces around him got better, he got worse.  It's time to move on.  They can't get rid of him completely but since they're going to be drafting in the top 2 it's time to pick a real QB to replace him. 
This is exactly right. Jones has been mostly mediocre with 2022 being the outlier. Truly elite quarterbacks (CJ Stroud being the latest example) elevate their entire team even when it's bad. Daniel works hard, but he just doesn't have that kind of greatness in him.

So I must respectfully disagree with Eli, whatever his reasons are for saying what he did.

goNets

To cure out what to do in this draft I think the Giants have to answer these fundamental questions...
How comfortable do we feel with this offensive line and how much can they improve in a year to protect a high profile rookie quarterback?
How much confidence do they have in the QB class coming out next year?
If their confidence is low in both their o-line and the QB class, then it may make the most sense to not even bother drafting a QB even if this is an area of need. Maybe trade down, build depth, and see whether or not DJ finally gets his head screwed on right after watching other's work with the players he's had around him. He's likely not seeing the field until mid season anyway. If he looks to be turning things around then you stick with him. Otherwise, you cut bait and get that next QB next season.
It's probably makes more sense financially to take this approach anyway.

Dgoodmantrublu

This is going to be a much stronger QB class than next season. It will set the franchise back years if they don't pick a QB this year. You don't wait to make things perfect. You get the guy and then build around him. That is the benefit of the a QB on a rookie deal.

Jclayton92

Quote from: goNets on November 16, 2023, 08:30:10 PMTo cure out what to do in this draft I think the Giants have to answer these fundamental questions...
How comfortable do we feel with this offensive line and how much can they improve in a year to protect a high profile rookie quarterback?
How much confidence do they have in the QB class coming out next year?
If their confidence is low in both their o-line and the QB class, then it may make the most sense to not even bother drafting a QB even if this is an area of need. Maybe trade down, build depth, and see whether or not DJ finally gets his head screwed on right after watching other's work with the players he's had around him. He's likely not seeing the field until mid season anyway. If he looks to be turning things around then you stick with him. Otherwise, you cut bait and get that next QB next season.
It's probably makes more sense financially to take this approach anyway.
Qbs don't magically become something they are not in year 7. There is no film that says Jones will ever be anything other than what he is currently. He fits Dabol/kafkas offense horribly.