News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As of now, picking 5th

Started by DaveBrown74, November 19, 2023, 07:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goNets

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 19, 2023, 09:39:04 PMI'd much rather have the conversation at the end of the year about how the players didn't quit on each other and the head coach than what we're going to do with the #1 or #2 pick if it comes at the expense of the team quitting on the coach.  If that results in a nominally worse draft position, so be it. 
Exactly.  Just how good will the QB have to be to turn around such a bunch of sad sacks ?

Jclayton92

I'm much more conformable with the Giants winning a few games and their qb coming to them naturally than tanking or trading picks. The teams that have actually hit on qbs recently were all playoff teams the ÿear before the draft in the Eagles, Bill's, and Chiefs. With Burrow, Lawrence, and Herbet being the exceptions but still. The odds are better if you let the Qb come to you whether it's whenever you pick in the 1st or in the 2nd-7th than reaching into the top. Since 2010 41 qbs have been taken in the 1st round and only 1 of those qbs has a super bowl win. Only 11 of those 41 Qbs were signed to a 2nd contract. 

Fletch

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 19, 2023, 11:05:12 PMI'm much more conformable with the Giants winning a few games and their qb coming to them naturally than tanking or trading picks. The teams that have actually hit on qbs recently were all playoff teams the ÿear before the draft in the Eagles, Bill's, and Chiefs. With Burrow, Lawrence, and Herbet being the exceptions but still. The odds are better if you let the Qb come to you whether it's whenever you pick in the 1st or in the 2nd-7th than reaching into the top. Since 2010 41 qbs have been taken in the 1st round and only 1 of those qbs has a super bowl win. Only 11 of those 41 Qbs were signed to a 2nd contract. 

Bill B already proved that no matter how good a coach you are players win games. He aid that himself. Obviously good coaching has something to withit ,but what is Daboll Bill Parcels or something? What is sacred about Daboll. He is coaching a last place team and face facts -- this team is not going to do jack xxxx against the Eagles and had embarrassing losses to the Cowboys this year.

Your numbers are circumstantial evidence. QBs don't just come to you. Look at the Detriot Lions. They went and got a cast off and bunch of picks.

spiderblue43

Somehow .the Wash Outs are simply godawful against the Jints. DJs only wins in the division mostly are against  them  6 turnovers?

Lil Bill has an inept group and maybe he's moving on. Daboll is looking to salvage some credibility  so I expect a  max effort. Pats?  :doh:

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 19, 2023, 11:05:12 PMThe teams that have actually hit on qbs recently were all playoff teams the ÿear before the draft in the Eagles, Bill's, and Chiefs. With Burrow, Lawrence, and Herbet being the exceptions but still. The odds are better if you let the Qb come to you whether it's whenever you pick in the 1st or in the 2nd-7th than reaching into the top.
You're sharing some good data but keep in mind the Chiefs and Bills did trade up for Mahomes and Allen. They didn't move up into the top-5 but they didn't let the draft come to them either. They knew who they wanted and gave up draft capital to get their guy.

Fletch

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 19, 2023, 07:33:32 PMThis is now life as a Giants fan. The Parcells and Coughlin eras are distant memories. Since Coughlin was so unceremoniously pushed out we are stuck in a loop of debating whether winning a meaningless game against a bad team is worth it. We debate whether we've seen enough of a mediocre (on a good day) QB going into his 6th season to determine whether he is actually mediocre or not.

Thank you, Mr. Mara for your steadfast leadership. If there was a Dave Gettleman lifetime achievement award for excellence in incompetence, John Mara would be a finalist every year.

best post ever

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on November 19, 2023, 08:58:45 PMOK  I am a sucker for punishment  so I am going to stick my neck out  but I apologize if I offend anyone

HOW DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO LOSE???

Do you honestly want a team you root for but more importantly the PLAYERS you root for to not try?

Do you really want them to lose to a Bellicheat coached team???

I remember like it was yesterday and I was 10 years old going out to sit in a cold car because the radio reception was better than in the house  and I cant ever remember my Dad saying  come on we have to root for the Giants to lose

It shouldnt concern me that a few posters on a Giants talk site are already thinking six games from now and hoping for the worst  because I believe that there are thousands of 10, 11 and 12 year old kids becoming Giants fans for the first time  who arent thinking of next years draft and "maybe" getting a "franchise" QB or a Marvin Harrison.  I venture to say that those kids are rooting their little backsides of for Tommy Devito, the 3d QB on the team they are starting to love because the kid who still lives at home and his mother makes his bed is to them out there playing his ass off

Dumpster Dan

Well said , you are spot on !!!

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 19, 2023, 07:07:08 PMWe were second last week, but this big win, which gets us to 3-8 on the season, now puts us at 5th overall if we were drafting today.

At 5th overall you can't even get Harrison Jr.

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Pats fans are rejoicing tonight.

But Fashanu, Alt, Daniels or Verse might be

MightyGiants

The Giants are vexing.  They lose when I want them to win and win when I want them to lose.   Yeah meaningless game victory  :(
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 19, 2023, 09:39:04 PMI'd much rather have the conversation at the end of the year about how the players didn't quit on each other and the head coach than what we're going to do with the #1 or #2 pick if it comes at the expense of the team quitting on the coach.  If that results in a nominally worse draft position, so be it. 

I have plenty of sympathy for this point of view and on many levels I can't argue it. I'm not really arguing it. I just would like to know what the medium to longer term plan at QB is. Because it seems painfully obvious now (if it didn't before this season) that Jones is absolutely not the guy and never will be. There is ample, hard evidence now that that that statement is true. And there is basically zero evidence that it's not true. If the plan is to run it back with just Jones, DeVito, and some journeyman next year that will be incredibly disappointing and will just be a clear continuation of QB hell and a capped ceiling of being mediocre. That will be very hard to swallow knowing there were elite QB prospects in this draft.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 19, 2023, 07:07:08 PMWe were second last week, but this big win, which gets us to 3-8 on the season, now puts us at 5th overall if we were drafting today.

At 5th overall you can't even get Harrison Jr.

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Pats fans are rejoicing tonight.

It is what it is. i'd love a higher pick, and we will probably still fall at some point. but dude i love winning. i still subject myself to the torture that is being a giants fan. and im tired of being pissed every weekend. sure its a "meaningless" win, but i am so tired of losing i'll take it. you gotta figure half these guys are gonna be back next year. we need to remember/learn how to win. plus dabolls seat is that much hotter if we win 2 games all year. it is what it is. jalen hurts was a 2nd round pick. dexter lawrence was #17. it's not like we cant get solid talent at #5. maybe not the guy we really want, but still good players nonetheless. its a really deep draft at a bunch of positions of need for us. just take the BPA and lets gooooooooo

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Stringer Bell on November 19, 2023, 07:18:09 PMHow fitting for this team, who was sleep walking the entire first half of the season, to win a few worthless games to blow up their chance of drafting a QB or generational WR.

All for what, to make Daboll look better? To give a handful of fans false hope that Devito is anything more than a backup QB?

Should be no surprise, I guess, as the Giants long have been great at blowing opportunities.

So now we go from drafting Maye to drafting an edge (figure 2 QBs, Harrison, Fashanu go 1-4). Don't get me wrong, I like Latu and feel we need to replace Ojulari, but our D is already solid and the drop off from taking a franchise QB to taking an edge is astronomical.

our D is not solid. thibs needs a bookend guy, and losing williams has hurt us. latu is a beast and would be a tremendous upgrade to both stopping the run which we suck at, and rushing the passer which we suck at most of the time. its every bit as needed as upgrading the oline.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 19, 2023, 11:05:12 PMI'm much more conformable with the Giants winning a few games and their qb coming to them naturally than tanking or trading picks. The teams that have actually hit on qbs recently were all playoff teams the ÿear before the draft in the Eagles, Bill's, and Chiefs. With Burrow, Lawrence, and Herbet being the exceptions but still. The odds are better if you let the Qb come to you whether it's whenever you pick in the 1st or in the 2nd-7th than reaching into the top. Since 2010 41 qbs have been taken in the 1st round and only 1 of those qbs has a super bowl win. Only 11 of those 41 Qbs were signed to a 2nd contract. 

that is a great point. and one people forget ALL the time. nothing and no one is guaranteed. caleb will probably have a solid career but it is what it is. this team has fundamental issues, and until we figure it out it really doesnt matter who the qb is. i've asked this question a bunch of times and i never get an answer. lets say we had caleb williams THIS year. how many more games would we have won?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Fletch on November 19, 2023, 11:42:53 PMBill B already proved that no matter how good a coach you are players win games. He aid that himself. Obviously good coaching has something to withit ,but what is Daboll Bill Parcels or something? What is sacred about Daboll. He is coaching a last place team and face facts -- this team is not going to do jack xxxx against the Eagles and had embarrassing losses to the Cowboys this year.

Your numbers are circumstantial evidence. QBs don't just come to you. Look at the Detriot Lions. They went and got a cast off and bunch of picks.

much rather go this route honestly. goff is playing great for them. sometimes a change of scenery works wonders for guys. i have a feeling the same will happen to jones. maybe not quite as successful, but he will finish his career somewhere else having more success than he did here.

T200

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 20, 2023, 12:33:32 AMYou're sharing some good data but keep in mind the Chiefs and Bills did trade up for Mahomes and Allen. They didn't move up into the top-5 but they didn't let the draft come to them either. They knew who they wanted and gave up draft capital to get their guy.
The Ravens did the same with Lamar.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: