News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Time to move on from Saquon Barkley?

Started by brownelvis54, December 26, 2023, 02:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Giants move on from Barkley?

Giantleap56

You can find running backs anywhere. It's better for the Giants to spend on OL, DL and WR. Do not spend 12 million on a running back. The year 2007 the Giants had 3 capable running backs on the team. SB is going to get hurt and miss maybe 3-4 weeks a year let's face it he is injury prone. Better off having running back by committee. If one gets hurt next one steps in. The Giants need better coaching, they have terrible coaching. If someone gets hurt this team is done there is no next man up. There is no preparation for others it's awful.
To give Barkley a new contract or even bring him back on a tag. I wouldn't do it.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 27, 2023, 07:26:31 PMYou seemed to be arguing that his 27% share of the 31st ranked offense would be difficult to replace. I don't think those yards will be that difficult to replace, I don't think the offense can get much worse without Barkley, and I think it's much more likely to improve if the money Barkley likely will want is spent on other players. My apologies if I misunderstood your point about the urgency of 27% of the 31st ranked offense.

It can get worse.  My point is that fans can easily say "let him walk".  The people whose jobs are on the line have to think about things a little deeper than that. 

Like the the question I asked about how you would replace him and improve the overall offense.  Barkley leaving doesn't fill a hole in the roster it creates another hole.  If you think it will be easy to fill the RB hole that's fine, but it's another position in addition to the any offensive positions that need upgrading.

It will be interesting to see how this goes in the offseason.  Maybe Barkley will be more realistic in his salary demands, maybe not. If I were his agent I would probably advise to sign somewhere with a better team around him.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 28, 2023, 09:26:18 AMIt can get worse.  My point is that fans can easily say "let him walk".  The people whose jobs are on the line have to think about things a little deeper than that. 

Like the the question I asked about how you would replace him and improve the overall offense.  Barkley leaving doesn't fill a hole in the roster it creates another hole.  If you think it will be easy to fill the RB hole that's fine, but it's another position in addition to the any offensive positions that need upgrading.

It will be interesting to see how this goes in the offseason.  Maybe Barkley will be more realistic in his salary demands, maybe not. If I were his agent I would probably advise to sign somewhere with a better team around him.
How much worse can it actually get? You have to go back to the '70s to find a Giants team with a lower points per game than this season. If Daboll and company feel as though they need Barkley to protect their jobs, then they deserve whatever is coming their way.

I don't think the offense gets much better until the QB position is improved. They may see marginal improvement with Taylor but in my opinion he has a low ceiling and is injury prone. I think the real solution is drafting Daniels or Maye.

If they can get one of those guys and put some free agent money into the interior offensive line and maybe they make a run at one of the better WRs in free agency, then I think we see real and sustainable improvement in the offense with or without Barkley.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 28, 2023, 10:36:23 AMHow much worse can it actually get? You have to go back to the '70s to find a Giants team with a lower points per game than this season. If Daboll and company feel as though they need Barkley to protect their jobs, then they deserve whatever is coming their way.

I don't think the offense gets much better until the QB position is improved. They may see marginal improvement with Taylor but in my opinion he has a low ceiling and is injury prone. I think the real solution is drafting Daniels or Maye.

If they can get one of those guys and put some free agent money into the interior offensive line and maybe they make a run at one of the better WRs in free agency, then I think we see real and sustainable improvement in the offense with or without Barkley.

I agree about what they need to improve.  I also think young QBs have a better chance of success when you put more good pieces around them. 

Not sure exactly what the money for Barkley would net on a FA market.  Probably a lot more on the IOL market than it would a WR.

BluesCruz

Lets face it

Mara loves Jones and Barkley immensely with a real man love

Anyone who cuts either puts themselves in deep employment jeapordy

end of story
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 28, 2023, 02:05:15 PMLets face it

Mara loves Jones and Barkley immensely with a real man love

Anyone who cuts either puts themselves in deep employment jeapordy

end of story
Well then they will be in jepapordy because the likelihood that Jones and Barkley are here post 2024 is less than 5%.

DaveBrown74

The results of this poll suggest the Giants should not re-sign Barkley because they're worried the fan base will be unhappy if they let him walk. While 58 people may not be an overly large sample size, the more than 2-1 ratio is noticeably stark.

Of course, I don't think fear of fan outrage influences Schoen, but I do think Mara is motivated by that sometimes.