News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NYG 2024 Free Agents

Started by Ed Vette, February 06, 2024, 11:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

The Giants need to decide between McKinney and Jackson and will likely go McKinney. I think McCloud is a must retain. Taylor at 3.3 MM is worth consideration. Either Nachos or Robinson. I'd try to retain CC and CB and try to have some continuity on that Defense.
Click on the link to get some of the Market Values.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/new-york-giants/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

That is a daunting list; here are their PFF grades and snaps  (special teamers not included)

A. Jackson 48.6  792 snaps
Barkley 70.2  702 snaps
T. Tylor 71.4 373 snaps
I. Simmons 68.9 378 snaps
A. Robinson 58.6 515 snaps
P. Campbell 51.4 207 snaps
Nacho 46.3 461 snaps
McKinney 87.8 1.128 snaps
J. Ward 42.4 661 snaps
M. Breida 52.4 289 snaps
S. Shepard 50.1 142 snaps
J. Davis IR
M. Peart 42.9 133 snaps
J.C. Hassenauer 0
D. Holmes 63.9 123 snaps
B Brederson 42.1 1014 snaps
Wyatt Davis IR
S. Lemieux 34.3 91 snaps
N. McCloud 74.8 312 snaps
B. Whitely 30.0 14 snaps
D. Beavers PS
C. Couglin 59.5 2 snaps
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I whittled down the list to who should be given consideration.

Barkley 70.2  702 snaps
T. Tylor 71.4 373 snaps
I. Simmons 68.9 378 snaps
A. Robinson 58.6 515 snaps
McKinney 87.8 1.128 snaps
J. Davis IR
J.C. Hassenauer 0
D. Holmes 63.9 123 snaps
B Brederson 42.1 1014 snaps
Wyatt Davis IR
N. McCloud 74.8 312 snaps
D. Beavers PS
C. Couglin 59.5 2 snaps
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Is McKinney's score 87.8?  I dont know if I remember him scoring that high in any game.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 06, 2024, 09:26:55 PMIs McKinney's score 87.8?  I dont know if I remember him scoring that high in any game.

McKinney had two scores in the 90s (the NE game and the second Philly game).  Those were the only two higher than his final grade.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 06, 2024, 11:41:49 AMThe Giants need to decide between McKinney and Jackson and will likely go McKinney. I think McCloud is a must retain. Taylor at 3.3 MM is worth consideration. Either Nachos or Robinson. I'd try to retain CC and CB and try to have some continuity on that Defense.
Click on the link to get some of the Market Values.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/new-york-giants/

According to Over the Cap, Nacho is still under contract
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 07, 2024, 08:42:05 AMAccording to Over the Cap, Nacho is still under contract
He is in Spotrac too. They have him on that list as an error. He's also on the active roster and under contract through 2025
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 06, 2024, 09:26:55 PMIs McKinney's score 87.8?  I dont know if I remember him scoring that high in any game.

That's because the narrative on this board was that he was overrated, shouldn't be a captain and was a dead man walking after his ATV accident cost him a month the prior season. It's easy to overlook a player when your have a preconceived notion of him.

I am not saying this was done by you.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

The Giants will have a moderate amount of cap space.  I think that we need to see free agency through the lens of what are the Giants' biggest needs, not creating holes, as well as what can be realistically expected from the draft.

I think the highest priority by a country mile-  FIX THE OFFENSIVE LINE

The second priority is not create more holes

A close third is quarterback
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: TDToomer on February 07, 2024, 09:49:39 AMThat's because the narrative on this board was that he was overrated, shouldn't be a captain and was a dead man walking after his ATV accident cost him a month the prior season. It's easy to overlook a player when your have a preconceived notion of him.

It seems like the full season grades are different than the weekly grades.  McKinney's grades were all below his season grade except for two games.  Not sure how they are calculating the season total. 

I think McKinney is very good, but not great.  Not sure who thinks he is overrated and what rating they think is over doing it. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: TDToomer on February 07, 2024, 09:49:39 AMThat's because the narrative on this board was that he was overrated, shouldn't be a captain and was a dead man walking after his ATV accident cost him a month the prior season. It's easy to overlook a player when your have a preconceived notion of him.

The narrative was about his actions, not his ability. But he wasnt a loose cannon. "I'm not going to try to do anything extra," McKinney said after Wednesday's first practice of training camp. "We have a sign that says 'We is greater than me,' so I'm not too much worried about my situation. I'm just worried about being able to make this team better. That's always been my focus." 

All this will be taken under consideration by Schoen. He's been an asset Free and In The Box. Probably deserves All Pro honors. He's testing the market as he should. He may have priced himself out of NY. It remains to be seen if Schoen values a Safety at 16 Million a year.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Not familiar with this account but it doesn't seem like a parody or BS.  Anyone hear this on the radio?

Every one can rest easier now as it seems Barkley will likely not be back.

Ed Vette

I can see the value in a Transition Tag on McKinney. It may cut down on his outside offers.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 07, 2024, 08:42:05 AMAccording to Over the Cap, Nacho is still under contract
didn't he sign a 2 or 3 year deal. At least that is what I remember and then us over paying on a 1 year for Robinson

MightyGiants

To my priority list.   

I would sign one solid veteran RB (Barkley optional) and a second vet as well (with an eye towards a day 3 drafted RB as well)

I would sign a solid veteran QB but not Tyrod (too injury-prone)

I would sign McKinney and McCloud to avoid creating a hole in the secondary.

I would bring back Beavers (see if 2nd year removed from ACL looks like)

If the price is right I bring back Simmons and Brederson
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE