News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants Biggest Need (Guests can vote)

Started by Ed Vette, February 08, 2024, 01:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

First round draft pick biggest need

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I really can't answer the poll because I don't think the need fits in a neat box.  I think fixing the offensive line (however that needs to be done) is a priority one.  Quarterback is priority two.  Finding more receiving weapons is priority three
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

The offensive line and QB need to be fixed concurrently. They need each other.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: katkavage on February 08, 2024, 01:23:24 PMThe offensive line and QB need to be fixed concurrently. They need each other.
True. But the poll is asking about the first round pick specifically.

Jolly Blue Giant

I would have picked "other" if available. To me, our biggest problem is STILL the offensive line. I wish I had a better feel for whether or not Neal is going to become a solid RT. We have two glaring holes on the o-line on both sides of the center. Therefore, there are two players who have experience as RG and RT and are listed as tackles (Taliese Fuaga and Graham Barton). Either of them stacked up as a RG beside Neal, would be a huge improvement, and they can play tackle in a pinch without a big step down. Barton has played (well by the way) as LT, LG, C, RG, and RT...but has played primarily tackle in college, but is going to a guard in the NFL. Fuaga is probably as good as Neal at RT, but is a better fit for RG. Apart from those two, Jackson Powers-Johnson is a dominating IOL who also plays center, but is a powerful dominating guard. He bullied the best defensive linemen and pass rushers all through the practice days and in the Senior Bowl game last week and put on a show. A day one starter at any spot on the IOL and a future pro-bowler. Zak Zinter might be the best offensive lineman available, except that he broke his leg in two places during the last game while playing for Michigan as their best lineman. He should be ready to go by the start of the season and has fallen to a day 2 pick only because of his broken leg. He's likely to be a pro-bowl guard in the future

Here's the dilemma: Pick 6 is too early to take one of these guys and if they wait for the second round, Fuaga, Barton, and Powers-Johnson are likely gone in the first. Fuaga might go top 10...don't know anything for sure. Regardless, I really, really, really hope we get a good offer to trade down so that we can get one of these guys without overdrafting, then pick up an extra 2nd, and I'd be thrilled as a puppy if we got two of those guys to play guard

Bottom line: I want two dominating guards more than anything and to finally fix the damn line! If we stay at 6, and Harrison or Nabers was available, I wouldn't be unhappy
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 08, 2024, 01:40:26 PMI would have picked "other" if available. To me, our biggest problem is STILL the offensive line. I wish I had a better feel for whether or not Neal is going to become a solid RT. We have two glaring holes on the o-line on both sides of the center. Therefore, there are two players who have experience as RG and RT and are listed as tackles (Taliese Fuaga and Graham Barton). Either of them stacked up as a RG beside Neal, would be a huge improvement, and they can play tackle in a pinch without a big step down. Barton has played (well by the way) as LT, LG, C, RG, and RT...but has played primarily tackle in college, but is going to a guard in the NFL. Fuaga is probably as good as Neal at RT, but is a better fit for RG. Apart from those two, Jackson Powers-Johnson is a dominating IOL who also plays center, but is a powerful dominating guard. He bullied the best defensive linemen and pass rushers all through the practice days and in the Senior Bowl game last week and put on a show. A day one starter at any spot on the IOL and a future pro-bowler. Zak Zinter might be the best offensive lineman available, except that he broke his leg in two places during the last game while playing for Michigan as their best lineman. He should be ready to go by the start of the season and has fallen to a day 2 pick only because of his broken leg. He's likely to be a pro-bowl guard in the future

Here's the dilemma: Pick 6 is too early to take one of these guys and if they wait for the second round, Fuaga, Barton, and Powers-Johnson are likely gone in the first. Fuaga might go top 10...don't know anything for sure. Regardless, I really, really, really hope we get a good offer to trade down so that we can get one of these guys without overdrafting, then pick up an extra 2nd, and I'd be thrilled as a puppy if we got two of those guys to play guard

Bottom line: I want two dominating guards more than anything and to finally fix the damn line! If we stay at 6, and Harrison or Nabers was available, I wouldn't be unhappy
I added Guard
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Jim

babywhales

The Giants are so screwed up we do not know if the players are the problem , the coaches are the problem or both .

That being said I will argue O line working under a competent coach .

Ild assume we need a RT and Guard but I'm not sure who is to blame for the failures 

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

londonblue

The answer is QB but it is likely one we can only address if we are willing to take McCarthy at 6 or in a small trade down (his floor might be Denver as teams rate him higher than draftniks).

The risk of repeating what we did with Jones exists, particularly given the difficulty projecting aspects of McCarthy's game from his tape, but we also run a risk if we ride with Jones and cross our fingers.

I am glad I do not have to make this decision. Instinctively I do not like the idea of taking JJMc high but I also do not like the idea of hoping for more from Jones.

All my career I have preferred to make a positive decision rather than fail without trying so I find myself slowly and somewhat reluctantly edging more towards taking that gamble if that is how the draft plays out.

I think I need a lie down or a stiff drink or both!
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jclayton92

There are so many OT, CB, WR prospects in the top 60 that you can get whoever later. I think it would be a mistake to continue to draft Olinemen at least this year, I think we need plug and play not develop thus 2 free agent Olinemen. Then with the first 4 picks address Qb, Wr, Edge, and either corner or Safety assuming which of Jackson/Mckinney we keep.

They could trade down 4 spots and add an additional 2nd or a 3rd and a 5th then take Mccarthy, then a stud Wr or BPA at the top of the 2nd and then fill based on need with the additional 2nd and 3rd.

Painter

As I have suggested in my every comment on the topic, I see it as a matter of opportunity/need/combined value which I think currently aligns as X- Receiver and Olinemen.
In any case, whatever the case, whomever is at QB and RB must thereafter be given the benefit of a solid Oline from L to R for the most obvious of reasons.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

There is no bigger need on this team than QB. It is the most important position, and we are dreadful at it.

Philosophers

No QB will flourish with the right side turnstile the Giants have with opposing pass rushers.  Has to be fixed for any future QB.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on February 09, 2024, 09:54:21 AMNo QB will flourish with the right side turnstile the Giants have with opposing pass rushers.  Has to be fixed for any future QB.
Both can be accomplished.

coggs