News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you trade the Giant's 6 Pick in the 2024 Draft...

Started by Ed Vette, February 21, 2024, 02:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

For Justin Herbert?
Would you sweeten the deal with a 2025 Second Round Pick?

That would allow Harbaugh to Draft his own QB who has been a winner his entire life since High School, and own his remarks about McCarthy. I think this would be a potential Trade option for both teams.

For the record, I would do it. Especially if I can get them to take DJ off my hands. He could start for LAC while JJ sits a year. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I assume this is a hypothetical question gauging fan interest in Herbert because, according to Over The Cap, a trade would inflate the Chargers' salary cap hit for Herbert by $89,158,325
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 21, 2024, 02:51:44 PMI assume this is a hypothetical question gauging fan interest in Herbert because, according to Over The Cap, a trade would inflate the Chargers' salary cap hit for Herbert by $89,158,325
It is and you're right. It wouldn't work for LAC because DJ's salary is too high.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 21, 2024, 02:38:58 PMFor Justin Herbert?

That would allow Harbaugh to Draft his own QB who has been a winner his entire life since High School, and own his remarks about McCarthy. I think this would be a potential Trade option for both teams.

For the record, I would do it. Especially if I can get them to take DJ off my hands. He could start for LAC while JJ sits a year. 

Ed: This is one of the best ideas posted here in the past year (which is about as far back as my lousy memory can be trusted). lol 
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

I wouldn't take Justin Herbert or Trevor Lawrence. My reasoning is we somewhat know their ceiling as a 2nd tier, good/great, Qb but not elite/tier 1 and we wouldn't get the benefit of a rookie contract which helps jump start teams with an elite qb

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 21, 2024, 02:38:58 PMFor Justin Herbert?

Yes, I would, and yes, I would throw in a 2025 2 to get it done. I think Herbert is a major talent. I appreciate he hasn't put together an MVP caliber season yet and that the team has had limited success to this point, but he hasn't exactly sucked either. We're talking about a guy who threw for 5k yards and 38 TDs in a season. And he's still only 25 and has shown good durability to this point. Sign me up.

Ed Vette

Unfortunately it's a fantasy. He also has a no trade clause.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

andrew_nyGiants

Oops, I only read the title: If trading down from 6 meant getting a haul that includes a 2025 1st round pick. YES!

Herbert...I don't see how that's possible especially considering Herbert's and Jones salaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on February 21, 2024, 07:18:30 PMIf it means getting a haul that includes a 2025 1st round pick. YES!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I must be missing something. Why would we receive a 2025 1st round pick if we traded for Justin Herbert?

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 21, 2024, 05:11:10 PMI wouldn't take Justin Herbert or Trevor Lawrence. My reasoning is we somewhat know their ceiling as a 2nd tier, good/great, Qb but not elite/tier 1 and we wouldn't get the benefit of a rookie contract which helps jump start teams with an elite qb

How can we know what Herbert really is? He had the handicap of the playing for an absolutely inept head coach his first three years in the NFL. Seriously the guy went from being an assistant at John Carroll to being an NFL head coach in five years.

Jclayton92

Quote from: madbadger on February 21, 2024, 07:56:21 PMHow can we know what Herbert really is? He had the handicap of the playing for an absolutely inept head coach his first three years in the NFL. Seriously the guy went from being an assistant at John Carroll to being an NFL coach in five years.
No I completely get that, I am simply going off what I have seen to date plus the fact that we wouldn't be benefiting from a rookie contract as my reasoning for passing.

sooners56

I absolutely would trade for Herbert. I'd give up way more than the 6th pick to get it done too. I remember the pass he made against the Giants. He is special!!!! Man we are dreaming here, but boy did I get excited for a second just thinking of Herbert as the Giants QB!!!! I don't see how anyone says no if it could happen.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

ozzie

I'm in the minority here, but I haven't seen Herbert living up to the hype that surrounds him. Let's see what he does with Harbaugh as coach, because as of now I just don't see it.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

Quote from: ozzie on February 22, 2024, 09:23:03 AMI'm in the minority here, but I haven't seen Herbert living up to the hype that surrounds him. Let's see what he does with Harbaugh as coach, because as of now I just don't see it.

You are a minority "here," but among NFL punditry (especially those with actual NFL backgrounds), there is a growing sense that Herbert hasn't lived up to his hype.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 22, 2024, 09:26:03 AMYou are a minority "here," but among NFL punditry (especially those with actual NFL backgrounds), there is a growing sense that Herbert hasn't lived up to his hype.

But as we know, it's not his fault he's not lived up to the hype. How long has best WR been injured and therefore he doesn't have. WR1, it's not his fault Akler dropped off a cliff this year and it's not his fault the D couldn't hold a gigantic lead in a post season road game.