News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Offensive Line- 2024 Combine

Started by Ed Vette, March 03, 2024, 01:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

A deep talented class. My preference would be drafting a Guard and not a Tackle that would be kicked inside.

This would be a draft the Giants would benefit from trading back a couple of times and get a plethora of additional picks to fill many needs, if they truly have faith in Daniel Jones.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

andrew_nyGiants

This is why I believe trading down from 6 and stockpiling is a better move than trading up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jolly Blue Giant

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully, teams line up to trade with us, and we get a bunch of extra picks. I personally like Jackson Powers-Johnson and Zak Zinter, but I'm not a believer that we can get both of them. In the late rounds, we might be able to pick up a player like Walter Rouse who's listed as an OT, but will be a guard in the NFL and can be a backup OT. He'd be a stud OG...IMHO  :-??

I'm all in at building the trench for the future. I also believe we have to keep an eye on getting players who can also play special teams as well as their true position...and I mean, play ST well...really well, as that part of our team is also in the cellar
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

madbadger

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 03, 2024, 02:00:40 PMThis is why I believe trading down from 6 and stockpiling is a better move than trading up.

I hope not. At six the odds are pretty good we'll get an elite player at a position of need. I get why you would want more picks but I don't know how you could pass on Alt, Nabors or Odunze at 6. All there are day one starters and I've seen enough of Neal's slow feet to know he isn't the answer at RT. If they take Alt they can kick Neal inside and draft another guard in the third round if they don't take one in free agency.

Ed Vette

Quote from: madbadger on March 03, 2024, 02:45:53 PMI hope not. At six the odds are pretty good we'll get an elite player at a position of need. I get why you would want more picks but I don't know how you could pass on Alt, Nabors or Odunze at 6. All there are day one starters and I've seen enough of Neal's slow feet to know he isn't the answer at RT. If they take Alt they can kick Neal inside and draft another guard in the third round if they don't take one in free agency.
Where do you think Fuaga goes off? I would move Neal inside for him at RT.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on March 03, 2024, 02:45:53 PMI hope not. At six the odds are pretty good we'll get an elite player at a position of need. I get why you would want more picks but I don't know how you could pass on Alt, Nabors or Odunze at 6. All there are day one starters and I've seen enough of Neal's slow feet to know he isn't the answer at RT. If they take Alt they can kick Neal inside and draft another guard in the third round if they don't take one in free agency.

The lesson you can give to Schoen/Dabs is to give up on mistakes and move on.  I could not agree with you more about Neal.  He has proven to be slow both in movement and in anticipation.  I don't think that can be easily fixed.  Take a smaller, faster OT in the draft.

I do think the Giants are leaning more and more with going QB at 6 so a day 2 OT may be more in the cards plus a WR with the other second round pick.

madbadger

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 03, 2024, 02:51:13 PMWhere do you think Fuaga goes off? I would move Neal inside for him at RT.

Tackles are in short supply and will be over drafted, IMHO. There are a couple guys who will have a second round grade but will probably go late in the first just because most teams don't have two good tackles. I don't know enough about Fauaga to have an informed opinion.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 03, 2024, 01:40:20 PMA deep talented class. My preference would be drafting a Guard and not a Tackle that would be kicked inside.

This would be a draft the Giants would benefit from trading back a couple of times and get a plethora of additional picks to fill many needs, if they truly have faith in Daniel Jones.

That's one idea.  Another (thinking outside the box) is to select Joe Alt and put HIM at guard next to our best offensive lineman (for probably one year only - see next sentence). Now the pressure's on Evan Neal to produce and I really don't see any hard evidence that he's on the brink of coming through for us. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

andrew_nyGiants

We can move down 2-3 spots and still stockpile picks. I'm pretty certain an elite player will be there at 8 or 9. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were a CB, LB or DL if not an OL.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

GloryDays

Draft history and stats do not support your position... having one higher pick in the first round is not as positive for any draft success as having a lower pick in round one plus more picks on day 2.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE